So, How is it Working with the New FAA Rules?

Reaction score
It has been a while since the new FAA regulatory rules have been in place. I have not noticed how many pilots have called airport control towers for clearance to fly in controlled air space. I have not flown since the new rules have kicked in and will find myself flying within the five mile radius unless I travel quite a ways to get into the hinterland. My old flying area in a county park is technically in the 5 file radius which will require a phone call every time I wish to fly anything (helis, fixed wind, etc.) even though it is well away from any flight path and buts up against the Virginia Mountains. So, I would like to hear your stories as to how the control towers are responding to calls for clearance of model aircraft. Are they accommodating, or is it a bureaucratic run around?

Some towers are setting up 'standing' notification for frequent flyers. So if you fly in an area often the tower may work it out with you so you do not need to call them every time.

Reactions: dirkclod
I've had nothing but positive experiences with tower/FDSO communications.

I've received plenty of ad mail from AOPA and pilot training centers since I registered my "commercial" Iris+ and Solo.
So if I want to do commercial work I need a $5k pilots license? UFB.
Yeah, those new regs are really working out well for me.
Meanwhile, a pipeline survey beater-Cessna that's older than I am flies less than 200 foot above my house occasionally, but damn that's SOO much safer than a 3 pound quadcopter!

I have a friend in Santa Barbara who just calls when he wants to fly; he put the phone number in his speed dial. He was told to just stay below 400 feet and thanks for letting them know so that they could advise pilots that there would be UAS activity.
My favorite area is outside the zone, and the closest strip has no control tower or instrument approach, so I have no direct experience.
If you let me know what airports you need I will post its phone number on my blog Airports | RosePatents | Robert Rose

I am about 3 miles from an airport listed as:

8CL1 Lake Wohlford Resort Airport; 5 miles NE of ESCONDIDO, CA
33.176090 / -117.001935
Private, no published instrument procedures. no control tower.
STEVE AGUEDA
25484 LAKE WOHLFORD RD
ESCONDIDO, CA 92027
Phone 760-749-2755

I called, but this fellow is off on Mondays. So I will call tomorrow; I get the feeling that they just want us to make an effort to let them know where we are, and we should be happy to try and do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig