Scary moment or two...

In the Settings section of the Solo app. Have to enable Advanced settings. Then go into the Solo settings and configure your A and B buttons.
That area looks very sketchy for GPS. I would take off and land in Fly:Manual.
I don't like where they put the Fly button on the controller. I have my A button configured for Fly:Manual and B button configured for Fly.
There is an old water tower about 200 yes to the 7 o'clock position related to this picture and it laced with wifi transmitters. I've flown here dozens of times and nothing happened. Maybe it's a new, more powerful wifi transmitter they recently installed on it. Saw a tech truck and van there a few times just recently. It's probably someone inside the van with a high powered sedition drone smuggling software algorithm preying on helpless 3dr Solos that fly in the Web of their villainous clutches...[emoji38]

In the Settings section of the Solo app. Have to enable Advanced settings. Then go into the Solo settings and configure your A and B buttons.
I don't like where they put the Fly button on the controller. I have my A button configured for Fly:Manual and B button configured for Fly.
Right next to buildings in the parking lot. Never had a problem brfore.

What is the surface that you are landing on? Is it possible that there is metal reinforcement that's interfering?
How close is the landing area to the buildings and trees and how tall are they? If trees and buildings are tall or near GPS cannot be trusted, especially when landing. Landing in Fly:Manual really is best if there are trees or buildings around.
Went to solo app advanced controls and found all the flight modes.
I preset A button for manual flight and will use it in case anything like the previous incident. New ground props are not good for your diet.

Don't want to repeat everything said here, but I would say not a compass or WiFi interference issue. Neither of those would cause the copter to move unexpectedly.
From what was described, it sounds like a GPS issue. The stock GPS can be a little unreliable. Adding the V2 shielding from 3DR can help.

Don't want to repeat everything said here, but I would say not a compass or WiFi interference issue. Neither of those would cause the copter to move unexpectedly.
From what was described, it sounds like a GPS issue. The stock GPS can be a little unreliable. Adding the V2 shielding from 3DR can help.
Well, GPS shield will definitely help but most flyaways IMHO are related to interference. In a GPS situation, normally it would stay put or possibly land.
Diagnosing problems using Logs — Copter documentation

Flew my Solo over the building where I work. They are putting new roofing on it. Took it up to 250 ft with camera pointed directly down to get really good footage and when I finished I pressed the home button as I have done more than a dozen times before. It was in the process of landing and roughly about a foot to foot and a half from the ground, it took off sideways towards the cars in the parking lot.
I had no control over it. Felt like instant knots in my stomach. One good thing did happen... one of the legs scraped the ground and it flipped onto the props tops and they spun for a few seconds and stopped. Props are all scraped and gnarled now and all this time I'm thinking........,.

(WTS)
What The Solo

Never had anything like that since I purchased it
It was exceptionally hot that day and maybe the processor cooked a little.
Also keep in mind that the solo being plastic and black can absorb the suns heat a lot more than a light color drone.
I do have another set of props for my next solo flight fix. Those cool green props from Master Air Screw.
Where is the building you work in? I have a company that wants me to take a video of there glass installation in Chevy chase but I am sure that is a no fly zone. Is your building in town or city? Would like to film it but don't know lf I can.

This week I received a second Solo, purchased online from B&H. I call it Zulu. It arrived and during the checkout, discovered the GPS card was Rev B. My first solo (i call it Alpha) is Rev A but I had purchased the MRO card that receives sats from russia, europe and usa. i see as many as 22 birds with that card. there was not change in performance with the MRO card vs. the stock Rev A card. I was losing control due to GPS loss, and this loss of control was without warning and while we were in open parks, no trees, etc. it would take off and crash. Was ready to throw in the towel on Solo, not wanting to have an accident that could cause injury or damage...decided to try Zulu at the end of the day, empty park. It flew flawlessly for over half an hour. next night, did same thing, it was flawless again so i began flying aggressively, stood up to that test, then tried smart shots. the Cable Cam worked as advertised, both directions. Orbit worked as well. NOTE: when i engage orbit the bird goes a bit nuts and out of control spinning about 180 degrees before settling. It took a few seconds to settle and it did the orbit both directions. Flew Thursday at 5 different locations including over water several times and some orbits, cable cams. a FLAWLESS day. Wondering if there is anyone experiencing similar improvement and reliability from Rev A or the MRO card to Rev B. Thanks!

Batteries are the Achilles heel of the Solo it would seem. Anyone find an aftermarket battery that holds up longer than the 20 minutes we get with the Solo batteries? I carry an inverter to charge the batteries in my vehilce (power port) as they go down, but it is a slow process as you know. at 5 batteries now and it seems that 8 would not be too many to have. Wish Anton Bauer would weigh in on this one.

The other week I had two little fly aways 1 ft from the ground in the parking lot where i work. It was definitely the area. Took it to the soccer field near home and didn't have a single problem.
Today i tried ACRO mode and I must say that I only did it for a few seconds and immediately pressed the A button for Manual Fly. It was an awakening to the dark side of the Solo. Can you hear Darth Vaders voice... I'm your quadcopter.. Noooooo...that's impossible...search your buttons on your transmitter...you know this to be true...
Anyway so that's it
P.S.S. I did the cardboard mod on the gps, actually have a rev b.. didn't know that until I took it apart. In the beginning I only had to wait about a minute to a minute and a half for satellites to fly and now it's about 20 to 35 seconds. Nice...

Reactions: jimloss
The other week I had two little fly aways 1 ft from the ground in the parking lot where i work. It was definitely the area. Took it to the soccer field near home and didn't have a single problem.
Today i tried ACRO mode and I must say that I only did it for a few seconds and immediately pressed the A button for Manual Fly. It was an awakening to the dark side of the Solo. Can you hear Darth Vaders voice... I'm your quadcopter.. Noooooo...that's impossible...search your buttons on your transmitter...you know this to be true...
Anyway so that's it
P.S.S. I did the cardboard mod on the gps, actually have a rev b.. didn't know that until I took it apart. In the beginning I only had to wait about a minute to a minute and a half for satellites to fly and now it's about 20 to 35 seconds. Nice...

Thanks. Good idea having the Fly/Fly:Man buttons on A B. wouldn't it be interesting to be able to re-program the FLY button in the middle of the controller to something else? is that a software update that could be done??

Anyway so that's it
You might consider updating the firmware on Solo if you haven't already:
https://3drpilots.com/threads/autopilot-firmware-upgrade-from-1-3-1-to-1-5-2.8819/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc