Sad Solo Story

Reaction score
When I first started looking at Drones over a year ago, I looked at the Phantom 3 Advanced and the 3DR Solo. I already had a Go{or 4 Black, so I was leaning heavily to the Solo. But, the gimble issue finally brought be over to the Phantom and I bought a 3 advanced. I love it, but I always regretted not buying a solo. So, when they went on sale on Amazon for $599 with gimble and backpack, I was all in.

It arrived a couple days later, and it was beautiful. I proceeded to set everything up and updated the firmware. No problem, I received the all clear from the app that the controller and solo were updated properly. Then I noticed flashing red lights on the solo and a Control Stick Error and Magnetic Interference error on the controller. I quickly learned that the controller error was not unknown, and some ssh magic in terminal would fix it. Took about 10 minutes, and the controller was connected to the solo again.

But I still had the Magnetic Inteference error. I took the bird out into a field that I had flown my 3A from, but could not shake the error. I did a Level Calibration, but that did not fix it. I tried to do a compass calibration, but was unsuccessful in doing so. It failed each and every time I tried it. And I tried it at least 30 times over multiple, days. No help from 3DR and I tried eventhing from the forums without success.

I had to make the unfortunate decision to return the bird to Amazon for a refund, I just finished boxes her up and putting a label on the box.

I guess it was never meant to be.

I'm sorry to hear that. I do know that some mag interference fixes are coming from watching their github repos last week. They are aware and a fix is in place. It just hasn't made it to the app yet but should any day.

No help from 3DR and I tried eventhing from the forums without success.

I had to make the unfortunate decision to return the bird to Amazon for a refund, I just finished boxes her up and putting a label on the box.

What do you mean "no help from 3DR"? That's an open and shut warranty replacement that they will handle.

What do you mean "no help from 3DR"? That's an open and shut warranty replacement that they will handle.
I meant their support group could not help me fix the problem. They suggested a return. Since I bought it through Amazon, that is the return route I need to use. I have no isssue at all with 3DR support. They helped me all they could.

I'm sorry to hear that. I do know that some mag interference fixes are coming from watching their github repos last week. They are aware and a fix is in place. It just hasn't made it to the app yet but should any day.

Thanks! I will keep a lookout for those. If they come out, I'll be back on Amazon and grab the deal again.

When I first started looking at Drones over a year ago, I looked at the Phantom 3 Advanced and the 3DR Solo. I already had a Go{or 4 Black, so I was leaning heavily to the Solo. But, the gimble issue finally brought be over to the Phantom and I bought a 3 advanced. I love it, but I always regretted not buying a solo. So, when they went on sale on Amazon for $599 with gimble and backpack, I was all in.

It arrived a couple days later, and it was beautiful. I proceeded to set everything up and updated the firmware. No problem, I received the all clear from the app that the controller and solo were updated properly. Then I noticed flashing red lights on the solo and a Control Stick Error and Magnetic Interference error on the controller. I quickly learned that the controller error was not unknown, and some ssh magic in terminal would fix it. Took about 10 minutes, and the controller was connected to the solo again.

But I still had the Magnetic Inteference error. I took the bird out into a field that I had flown my 3A from, but could not shake the error. I did a Level Calibration, but that did not fix it. I tried to do a compass calibration, but was unsuccessful in doing so. It failed each and every time I tried it. And I tried it at least 30 times over multiple, days. No help from 3DR and I tried eventhing from the forums without success.

I guess it was never meant to be.
Don't give up. You were almost there. & if you ever do give Solo another chance you won't regret it.

Should have just got an exchange for another instead of refund. That deal is over now. I suspect based on past history it will come around again. I took advantage of it and would again. It is a great price for that bundle. I haven't seen P3P prices that low.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I just checked Amazon (2Sept2016 1:52p EST), the 599 bundle is there again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buildnfly