RTH after hitting 220ft

Reaction score
Hello to all and late Happy Birthday from the 4th.
I am new to the site and Quads but so far have resolved some of my issues just reading through the existing threads so first thanks for that help and any other help in advance.

My problem with solo is it goes into RTH after hitting 220 ft even though I have changed the parameters to 400 ft. Not that I need or want to fly that high often just making surely solo is working to it's capabilities.

What parameter did you change? The one in the solo app?

What parameter did you change? The one in the solo app?
sorry about the miss spelling. Also I was linked and in flight the first time I changed it, then landed and checked it and it says 400 but still went RTH at 222ft like it was set at 220ft

Are the Solo and the Controller losing connection to one another or is the quad simply just returning to home as if it's out of range? What was your max range prior to this problem surfacing?

Reactions: rrmccabe
Are the Solo and the Controller losing connection to one another or is the quad simply just returning to home as if it's out of range? What was your max range prior to this problem surfacing?
There was no indication that they lost connection or were out of range. Soon as you hit 222ft high it goes into RTH. It has done this straight above me and at about 300 ft away as far as distance. I was at the park away from any obstacles that may cause interference.

There was no indication that they lost connection or were out of range. Soon as you hit 222ft high it goes into RTH. It has done this straight above me and at about 300 ft away as far as distance. I was at the park away from any obstacles that may cause interference.

Oh okay. Your issue is different from the problem I'm experiencing right now.

Sounds like the altitude limit is not saving correctly.....do you have the latest solo app update?

You can probably adjust the altitude limit parameter in tower instead.

Reactions: DodgeP
You should see a message saying maximum elevation reached (or something like that) if you are banging off your ceiling limit.

How far out were you distance wise when this happened? Not altitude but distance.

Sounds like the altitude limit is not saving correctly.....do you have the latest solo app update?

You can probably adjust the altitude limit parameter in tower instead.
I agree it does seem like the limit is not saving. I haven't downloaded tower due to I'm using iPad mini and from what I read on 3DR's list not compatible. I'm new to this game so obviously have some learning to do.

You should see a message saying maximum elevation reached (or something like that) if you are banging off your ceiling limit.
How far out were you distance wise when this happened? Not altitude but distance.

Never got any error type notifications just went straight to the RTH mode and it landed. The first time it happened I was about 250 to 300 ft out distance wise. I then hovered it from about 10 ft away and went straight up and at 222 ft it did the same. While it was on the ground tried to set limit to 400ft and it showed that it saved it, so I tried it again straight up and got the same result.

It will likely lose connectivity straight up from you at 220' if the controller antennas are pointed wrong.

Hello to all and late Happy Birthday from the 4th.
I am new to the site and Quads but so far have resolved some of my issues just reading through the existing threads so first thanks for that help and any other help in advance.

My problem with solo is it goes into RTH after hitting 220 ft even though I have changed the parameters to 400 ft. Not that I need or want to fly that high often just making surely solo is working to it's capabilities.

Update
Went out yesterday and flew with no issues( other than no live view due to I trashed hdmi connector). I was able to get up to 390' without issues. After going back over my steps I think what happened is I changed the alt limit in flight the first tome, and it did not save correctly. Even though the app showed that it did. Problem has gone away since recharging batt and setting limit before flying.

It will likely lose connectivity straight up from you at 220' if the controller antennas are pointed wrong.
Thanks. I had as 3dr recommended pointing down. Plus I had read on another thread I believe you had posted about proper antenna direction

Pointing down is fine but 90 degrees from aircraft is key.

I don't think the 20 degree part is overly critical. But just remember maximum gain off a dipole antenna comes 90 degrees off side. And of course as you go up and out this will change.
2015-07-07_15-05-27.jpg

Pointing down is fine but 90 degrees from aircraft is key.

I don't think the 20 degree part is overly critical. But just remember maximum gain off a dipole antenna comes 90 degrees off side. And of course as you go up and out this will change.
View attachment 230

Thanks I'll remember that. I am new to the RC world but have electronics/ avionics trainging in the Navy. Always learning something new !!!!

To add to that the Solo itself has dipole antennas coming down the landing gear legs. So when you are going fast and the aircraft is pitched forward the antennas are in a less than ideal orientation.

Here is a hacked version of the above image from the manual.

Notice how the signal comes off the Solo leg int he same manner it does the controller antenna. When you right stick forward the aircraft pitches forward to move through the air. But notice what happens to the main radiation lobe of the antenna.

ssss.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44