Return of the Prodigal Drone

Reaction score
Two years ago, I found myself in a hospital bed, very near death. A priest was called in and I received the Sacrament of the Sick (used to be called Extreme Unction or Last Rites).

During the rare moments when I was aroused from my Ketamine stasis I realized that, for the first time in my life, I was having flying dreams. Whether or not these dreams were caused by the anesthesia or some synaptic reflex to being held immobile I cannot say. I told my wife about the dreams and she got the idea that I might be cheered up by the gift of an inexpensive drone she found at an "As Seen On TV" shop she would pass on her way into the hospital each day.

After I was discharged, and was able to go outdoors, I flew that little quadcopter as often as I could. The herky-jerky video I recorded made me feel liberated just like the flying dreams I'd had. It gave me an incredible sense of freedom and I am certain it was an important part of my physical and mental recuperation. I even named the quad after the guy who sold it to my wife - Gupta.

Then, one day, Gupta caught a very strong gust just below the treetops in my back yard. I fought to keep it from drifting, but the little motors had no chance, and it wound up getting tangled in a mass of leaves at the top of the tallest tree.

I tried everything I could think of to get it down. First, by twitching the motors in hopes that it would somehow untangle itself bit by bit down the tree. This only resulted in the rotors twisting themselves more tightly in the leaves. I threw baseballs, but I didn't have the reach nor the accuracy. My last ditch effort was to break out the pellet gun. I figured if I couldn't have Gupta back I sure wasn't going to let the tree have him. Dead or alive, that was MY Gupta.

Gupta died at approximately 4:45 PM on a cloudless Sunday in July.

FADE TO BLACK

This past Sunday was cold. So cold I didn't want to get out of bed. It was around 9:00 AM and I was perfectly content to remain in the cocoon of my electric blanket. Then, the doorbell rang. I froze, turned to my wife, and asked, "who is THAT on a Sunday morning?!".

I jumped up, threw on some clothes, and made it downstairs just in time to see an unfamiliar car leaving the driveway; the person inside just a silhouette I could not make out. I opened the front door as the car pulled away and, to my amazement, there was Gupta! I reached down, picked him up, and ran upstairs proclaiming theatrically to my wife. "Gupta came home! He came home!".

OK, look, I totally understand that this was just a cheap little quad that was originally purchased as a gift to cheer me up. Of course I wasn't really emotionally attached to it. It was a toy. Nothing more, nothing less. But it does represent a sort of starting point for my interest in drones. Two years later, thousands of dollars spent, FAA certification, and many MANY hours of flight time since, little Gupta kinda means something to me. There is something fundamentally important about the recollection of one's past and this was a gift that returned to remind me not only how far I've come with drones, but more importantly - it's really, really good to be alive.

swMI0e

WYuix5

D40auv

UA646b

D6lxna

Wow. That is a very inspiring story, Kevin. First and foremost, I hope you are in good health and enjoying life after your experience. It's amazing how something as simple as a toy, can bring so much peace, happiness, and fun to someone. I hope you continue having good health and happiness, and many flying hours. Did you ever find out how Gupta was rescued and returned, and by whom? I wish you the best of luck.....

Wow. That is a very inspiring story, Kevin. First and foremost, I hope you are in good health and enjoying life after your experience. It's amazing how something as simple as a toy, can bring so much peace, happiness, and fun to someone. I hope you continue having good health and happiness, and many flying hours. Did you ever find out how Gupta was rescued and returned, and by whom? I wish you the best of luck.....

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts, Chuck. Just getting a feel for this community I find your posts are always helpful and thought provoking.

Near as I can tell, Gupta was returned by a neighbor in the yard just beyond the tree that claimed him. The folks around me know me as "that drone guy" so I'm sure they knew who to return it to.

Thanks again for your well wishes. I continue to improve every day, and I am grateful for the chance.

I have only joined 3 forums in my life, and I can honestly say this one is by far my favorite. The folks on here are great, and will bend over backwards to help you out. Maybe you can get yourself a Solo, and give Gupta a break. You can always take him out for special occasions...:). I think you will be surprised on how much Solo can add to your flying enjoyment. Welcome aboard, and safe flying to you.

I have only joined 3 forums in my life, and I can honestly say this one is by far my favorite. The folks on here are great, and will bend over backwards to help you out. Maybe you can get yourself a Solo, and give Gupta a break. You can always take him out for special occasions...:). I think you will be surprised on how much Solo can add to your flying enjoyment. Welcome aboard, and safe flying to you.

Well, I just received my Solo last week and I was so impressed I ordered another one (being delivered tomorrow). It's funny, the Mavic Pro that I ordered over two months ago is being delivered today, but I'm more excited about flying the Solo. There's something really appealing about it. It's solid, and I love the fact that it's open source.

I also have a Yuneec Q500 4K (which I really like), and a Phantom 3 Pro, but, like I said, there's just something about the Solo that really appeals to me.

Now, if the weather would just cooperate...

Kevin- what an eloquent post. May you have continued health and many more years to enjoy your family and flight.

Great post! Good health wishes to you Kevin. Gupta deserves a place on your wall.

Kevin, Very inspiring & uplifting story ...Thank you for sharing........

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the 3DRPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in 3DR quadcopter’s. If your new to RC aircraft be sure to read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy!

Wishing you good health and more fly time. Cheers my friend. everyday is a blessing....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela