Remnants of Solo for Sale

Reaction score
After a month and a half of frustration I decided to finally give up on the Solo. First I had purchased a gimbal and could not get it to work properly. Mid flight it kept going limp making the video appear like the Solo was going down, wobbling everywhere. I had installed it three times trying to get the HDMI cord placed properly. It was not until I saw a 3rd party video that explained how to seat it properly that showed how you had to remove the top and unseat the main board, then I was able to get it to work. Really? What a bad joke (on myself and other people who bought Solo) a $2000 drone should not have issues like that. Given the price of the Solo, I was able to lie to myself for a while and convinced myself that it was as good or better than the Phantom. I extolled the virtues of its 55 MPH top speed (which it had never reached) until I realized that it was only supposedly attainable in Manual mode. I had a Yuneec Q500, and without the GPS it was much faster than the Solo. Difference being 3dr uses shady advertising techniques to reel people in, while Yuneec doesn't even mention their top speed. The gimbal feels fragile and I felt like much care needed to be taken when inserting or removing the camera. So I moved my attention to the expansion bay. This would be the feature that made it worth the money. NOT! To this point I have seen nothing special produced for the bay. The best Solo mod I have seen is a way to get the legs out of the picture.
I figured I may as well keep flying and I was beat down again by 3dr false advertising. Long story short, it does not hold altitude in FLY:MANUAL mode and it went sailing into a tree. I bought a new shell and rebuilt it, and the Gimbal worked but was slightly bent so I went out and bought another one. It wouldn't install and kept blinking red. 3dr said it was bad so I went and exchanged it. Guess what? Same problem plus it kept telling me I was using an incompatible Gopro version (Hero 4 Silver). 3dr service is responsive and polite, but in my experience from solution and culpability accepting standpoints, they are no better than DJI.
My Phantom is much quieter, much more responsive, the DJI Go App is far far superior, the GPS puts the Solo to shame as does the range, the camera control is much better than the Gopro, and the Smart Shots were nothing like they said they would be. I use Litchi Magic Leash for Follow me mode as it is useless for me if the Controller needs to be held. I really, really tried to like it, but at the end of the day it just doesn't measure up, especially for the price and I have no tolerance for companies like 3dr with their shady tactics. Obviously nothing personal if you like your Solo, just not for me. So....I have a new gimbal, a slightly bent for parts gimbal, an extra battery, FPVLR antenna, and an upgraded wifi card for sale. If interested let me know.

Last edited:
What prices are we looking at? Or, do you wish me to PM you?

After a month and a half of frustration I decided to finally give up on the Solo. First I had purchased a gimbal and could not get it to work properly. Mid flight it kept going limp making the video appear like the Solo was going down, wobbling everywhere. I had installed it three times trying to get the HDMI cord placed properly. It was not until I saw a 3rd party video that explained how to seat it properly that showed how you had to remove the top and unseat the main board, then I was able to get it to work. Really? What a bad joke (on myself and other people who bought Solo) a $2000 drone should not have issues like that. Given the price of the Solo, I was able to lie to myself for a while and convinced myself that it was as good or better than the Phantom. I extolled the virtues of its 55 MPH top speed (which it had never reached) until I realized that it was only supposedly attainable in Manual mode. I had a Yuneec Q500, and without the GPS it was much faster than the Solo. Difference being 3dr uses shady advertising techniques to reel people in, while Yuneec doesn't even mention their top speed. The gimbal feels fragile and I felt like much care needed to be taken when inserting or removing the camera. So I moved my attention to the expansion bay. This would be the feature that made it worth the money. NOT! To this point I have seen nothing special produced for the bay. The best Solo mod I have seen is a way to get the legs out of the picture.
I figured I may as well keep flying and I was beat down again by 3dr false advertising. Long story short, it does not hold altitude in FLY:MANUAL mode and it went sailing into a tree. I bought a new shell and rebuilt it, and the Gimbal worked but was slightly bent so I went out and bought another one. It wouldn't install and kept blinking red. 3dr said it was bad so I went and exchanged it. Guess what? Same problem plus it kept telling me I was using an incompatible Gopro version (Hero 4 Silver). 3dr service is responsive and polite, but in my experience from solution and culpability accepting standpoints, they are no better than DJI.
My Phantom is much quieter, much more responsive, the DJI Go App is far far superior, the GPS puts the Solo to shame as does the range, the camera control is much better than the Gopro, and the Smart Shots were nothing like they said they would be. I use Litchi Magic Leash for Follow me mode as it is useless for me if the Controller needs to be held. I really, really tried to like it, but at the end of the day it just doesn't measure up, especially for the price and I have no tolerance for companies like 3dr with their shady tactics. Obviously nothing personal if you like your Solo, just not for me. So....I have a new gimbal, a slightly bent for parts gimbal, an extra battery, FPVLR antenna, and an upgraded wifi card for sale. If interested let me know.
Sorry to hear of your experience. But glad it is the exception, not the rule. Many on here have the Solo because of the experience they had with the white ones. Just goes to show they can all have issues that can get an owner frustrated.
Take Care and Fly Safe..
Jubal

What prices are we looking at? Or, do you wish me to PM you?

@GrantV no problem posting them here. The following remains:

New gimbal 300
Mikrotik wifi card 25
FPVLR 100

Thanks for looking, sorry for slightly delayed post

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your experience. But glad it is the exception, not the rule. Many on here have the Solo because of the experience they had with the white ones. Just goes to show they can all have issues that can get an owner frustrated.
Take Care and Fly Safe..
Jubal

No doubt, I have notoriously bad retail luck! I wIsh it had panned out for me, how could you tell I was frustrated? :]

@GrantV no problem posting them here. The following remains:

New gimbal 325
Mikrotik wifi card 25
FPVLR 100

Thanks for looking, sorry for slightly delayed post

Well, I was going to take the wifi card off you (only one?), however, my Solo decided to fly without my control today and crashed... So, unless 3DR support comes good, I might also be selling my gear on here...

Well, I was going to take the wifi card off you (only one?), however, my Solo decided to fly without my control today and crashed... So, unless 3DR support comes good, I might also be selling my gear on here...
Post your log if you can, would be interesting to see what happened.

@GrantV Sorry to hear that, hopefully you will have better luck than I did. What caused it, any idea yet?

Odogster, I'm not far behind you regarding your solo experiences. As far as I'm concerned, the performance of 3DR's product, right from the software to the hardware and everything in between, is definitely not what's advertised. False advertising is an understatement and watching some of the advertisements now that I've owned my Solo for 5 months makes me laugh and slightly angry that 3DR thinks this will provide costomer satisfaction. Maybe they should be spending some of the money they waste on advertising to improve their development. Maybe they can one day reach the level of what they claim in their advertisements.

Post your log if you can, would be interesting to see what happened.
Hi, not sure if have the logs now... When I submitted my ticket through the app, it sent them directly to 3DR with no option to send anywhere else as in previous app versions. In an older version, I sent the log files to to my own email address so that I could see them (out of interest).
Is there a way to retrieve them?

Hi, not sure if have the logs now... When I submitted my ticket through the app, it sent them directly to 3DR with no option to send anywhere else as in previous app versions. In an older version, I sent the log files to to my own email address so that I could see them (out of interest).
Is there a way to retrieve them?
If you are on Android, all of your logs should still be on the tablet. Check here..

Odogster, I'm not far behind you regarding your solo experiences. As far as I'm concerned, the performance of 3DR's product, right from the software to the hardware and everything in between, is definitely not what's advertised. False advertising is an understatement and watching some of the advertisements now that I've owned my Solo for 5 months makes me laugh and slightly angry that 3DR thinks this will provide costomer satisfaction. Maybe they should be spending some of the money they waste on advertising to improve their development. Maybe they can one day reach the level of what they claim in their advertisements.
Here is their largest current ad Can you point to something specific that makes you laugh and is 'false advertising'.

The latest current add lol. That's what I'm laughing at. Here is what they promised. C&P.

When 3DRobotics announced their new Solo quadcopter in April 2015, it set theOfficially, "drone" defines a humming sound or a male bee which mates with the queen. " class="glossaryLink " style="box-sizing: border-box; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-width: 1px; text-decoration: none !important; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Raleway, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 26px; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">drone world abuzz. The company claimed this model was FAR superior to any other camera/gimbal drone on the market.
The claims include these:
1. The world’s first smart drone
2. Can do anything any other drone does and more
3. Every other drone will be looked at as a toy by the end of the year.
4. Solo does 175 things better than other drones (presumably DJI, the market leader).
5. 3DR (maker of solo) will control the market instead of the current leader (DJI).
6. Cinema quality camera moves made easy – out of the box anyone can do it.

The latest current add lol. That's what I'm laughing at. Here is what they promised. C&P.

When 3DRobotics announced their new Solo quadcopter in April 2015, it set theOfficially, "drone" defines a humming sound or a male bee which mates with the queen. " class="glossaryLink " style="box-sizing: border-box; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-width: 1px; text-decoration: none !important; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Raleway, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 26px; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">drone world abuzz. The company claimed this model was FAR superior to any other camera/gimbal drone on the market.
4. Solo does 175 things better than other drones (presumably DJI, the market leader).
5. 3DR (maker of solo) will control the market instead of the current leader (DJI).

I can go on......there's more about the gopro and gimbal as well

Reactions: Odogster

Some of those are fact and like a lot of car ads, some are subjective. We are all aware of the issues at launch, but you mentioned specifically false advertising and I read it as something more current, not year old implications. That's why I expected you to be able to extract from the page I linked to. Are there any claims that 3DR is stating about the Solo that are untrue?

Sorry....issues at launch. Aren't there still multiple issues with the GPS constantly losing signal from shadows because 3DR is only using American satellites while competitors are using Russian and Chinese as well as American satellites. I don't know about you but I'm constantly losing signal. The multiple gimbal issues reported (there's a long list of issues, I'm sure you've read) still having issues with chaging simple gopro settings from the app. Connection problems to the gopro from the app. The list goes on and by the sounds of it some major investors are pulling out, employees are leaving, sales aren't even close to what was expected and a lot of people are losing faith in all the promises. People have paid on average $500 more for a product that is advertised as being head and shoulders superior to any other on the market. When in fact it's no better than the next. Believe it or not, I'm still hoping 3DR can pull a unicorn out of their buts but it's looking more and more like they're going to crash and burn....just like their drones have been doing.

Last edited:
Sorry....issues at launch. Aren't there still multiple issues with the GPS constantly losing signal from shadows because 3DR is only using American satellites while competitors are using Russian and Chinese as well as American satellites. I don't know about you but I'm constantly losing signal. The multiple gimbal issues reported (there's a long list of issues, I'm sure you've read) still having issues with chaging simple gopro settings from the app. Connection problems to the gopro from the app. The list goes on and by the sounds of it some major investors are pulling out, employees are leaving, sales aren't even close to what was expected and a lot of people are losing faith in all the promises. People have paid on average $500 more for a product that is advertised as being head and shoulders superior to any other on the market. When in fact it's no better than the next. Believe it or not, I'm still hoping 3DR can pull a unicorn out of their buts but it's looking more and more like they're going to crash and burn....just like they're drones have been doing.
Sorry you had a bad experience. Like my self, many have not had those issues. I mounted my gimbal per the video and never took the bat tray out. GPS has always worked well and has been well explained in technical detail here why they went with the GPS they did and why more sats is not always better. I pre ordered early and received both gimbal and Solo from first shipments of each. No connection issues and no app crashes. But good luck with whatever you choose to fly.

Reactions: Benzo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc