Pwm gimbal Strange behavior in open solo 4

Reaction score
SOLVED: INSTALLING THE LATEST ARDUCOPTER VERSION AND SET MNT1_TYPE TO BRUSHLESS INSTEAD OF SERVO

Hi, I'm bringing my solo back to life, new motors, li-ion batteries, the old storm32 gimbal and a Sony rx0ii cam. It flies well, gimbal pitch controlled with the paddle all is happiness UNTIL I switch to any other mode different than Loiter. Position Hold for example, and the gimbal pitch no longer stabilizes but starts to follow as it does normally in the yaw axis. Quicky I checked the mavlink messages and in fact it was the drone sending pitch commands to the gimbal when it's moved, in fact it's sending commands to the three axis but since my gimbal is only set to move the pitch , then the pitch acts as described. And if I go back to loiter the issue persists I have to power cycle the solo and fly it only in loiter mode to have a correct gimbal functionality.
Can someone pont me into the right direction on how to solve this (besides flying in loiter mode only)

Here's a video showing the issue

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Yes storm 32 with pwm control only
It doesn't lock since it only has pitch control with pwm, I stopped using the serial interface years ago since, not that you mention, when it kicks RTL, the gimbal yaw goes to stabilize mode, and if the drone yaws, the gimbal yaw stays pointing in its last direction twisting cables and horrible things happened.

Yeah I checked the default mode, it only works on the one it was from the begining (Rc target or something like that, can't remember the exact name) BUT if I selected any other value, the paddle doesn't command anything UNTIL I switch flight modes, then it obeys the paddle but behaves with the mentioned issue.

Yes storm 32 with pwm control only
It doesn't lock since it only has pitch control with pwm, I stopped using the serial interface years ago since, not that you mention, when it kicks RTL, the gimbal yaw goes to stabilize mode, and if the drone yaws, the gimbal yaw stays pointing in its last direction twisting cables and horrible things happened.

Yeah I checked the default mode, it only works on the one it was from the begining (Rc target or something like that, can't remember the exact name) BUT if I selected any other value, the paddle doesn't command anything UNTIL I switch flight modes, then it obeys the paddle but behaves with the mentioned issue.
What version of ArduCopter are you running? My servo gimbal is on 4.5.1 and it works as expected.

That's the Open Solo version. The Arducopter version will show at the top left of the Mission Planner screen.

You might check the gimbal mode in the Storm32 app.

Pitch and roll is on hold mode, yaw is in pan mode. It works as always, is the solo sending pitch values to the gimbal when I switch fly modes, in the video I'm showing the mount status values (position_a) it should be fixed unless it's flying in autopilot or doing automatic stuff (smart shots?)

Ok I found the problem, the mount type was set to servo and it should be brushless. After uotading to the latest arducopter version it helped to find the issue. Thanx for the help! Now it's time to put this sucker in the air

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feamador