Propellers

Reaction score
I took my solo out yesterday for it's first flight and now I can't get the propellers off. Anyone else have this issue? I put them on and off a number of times before actually flying it.

You're turning in the correct direction to remove? Holding the motor below the prop? Made sure their not cross-threaded?
Can't think of anything else...:confused:

I took my solo out yesterday for it's first flight and now I can't get the propellers off. Anyone else have this issue? I put them on and off a number of times before actually flying it.
That's only happened to me when I've had a crash and the propeller has jammed on excessively tight. (Not that I've every crashed...) ;) In normal operation, you shouldn't be having an issue removing props -- props do not need to be overly tightened -- in fact on the Solo, I just spin them on with one hand without adding any additional tightening, they will tighten slightly in air.

In any case, if you do have a prop that won't come off easily, you can use a couple of different means to remove them -- essentially, you want to grip the plastic of the motor housing gently but firmly -- you could possibly use a flexible rubber jar opener to grip the motor without damaging it. What I've done when needed is to wrap part of a leather glove around the motor housing and use a pair of pliers on the glove, applying VERY gentle pressure -- just enough to prevent the motor housing from turning -- while breaking the prop loose. As Maddog pointed out, make sure you're turning the prop the correct direction.

If you don't know if your turning them the right way or not?
There are little arrow symbols on the propeller its self...to show you the way to loosen them or tighten them ..

If you don't know if your turning them the right way or not?
There are little arrow symbols on the propeller its self...to show you the way to loosen them or tighten them ..
I'm turning them correctly. Like I said, I have put them on and off many times. But after flight, none of them will come off.

It's still just a nut and bolt, so you are going to have to get a set of padded pliers, jar opener or similar to hold the motor and be sure you are going the right way and apply enough force to get them off. When putting on propellers, they do not need tightened! I spin each one on, then just use 2 fingers on a single hand to be sure they are bottomed out on the nut. But do not apply any force. That is why they are reverse threaded to rotation, as the spin they are tightening themselves plenty.

I got it, I just had to hold the motor with my hand and use a bit of force to un-spin them. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I also have the same problem after a small crashed that happened like 5 min ago. 3 props are broken, one completely gone, that will be tough to remove I am sure. But the 4 props are locked, not easy to remove like usually is.

I also have the same problem after a small crashed that happened like 5 min ago. 3 props are broken, one completely gone, that will be tough to remove I am sure. But the 4 props are locked, not easy to remove like usually is.

I just used pliers and was careful how I went about it and they came out without problems.

image.jpeg
I just used pliers and was careful how I went about it and they came out without problems.
Yeah I use a small wrench that I found and got them out, one was tricky cause it was all busted but at the end I was able to get my solo ready for a new set of props.
I am keeping that little wrench inside my solo back pack now. It it weird that all the pros got tight after the crash thou. Never had that problem before.

Because the motors are still turning, but the props aren't...so it tightens. It's no different than if you kept trying to tighten them by hand while holding the motor pod so it can't spin.

Because the motors are still turning, but the props aren't...so it tightens. It's no different than if you kept trying to tighten them by hand while holding the motor pod so it can't spin.
That's right! Didn't think about it!
Thank you for the reply Steve!

I recently flew my 3 dr into the neighbors outdoor stairs. Tow props were significantly damaged. One came off easily, the other was completely stuck. I tried pliers on the prop, could not grip the motor with sufficient force to remove. I have spring loaded clamp pliers that I attached to the center of the prop and hit the pliers with a hammer. Still no go! I am a prick about unnecessary marks on the motor so was unwilling to clamp motor with pliers (scratches). I was in my tool box and saw double sticky foam tape. I cut a piece about the circumference of the motor. I Applied it to the motor and did not remove the top adhesive cover. I was able to clamp the spring loaded pliers on the prop and normal pliers to the motor with the tape applied. I hit the spring loaded pliers a couple of sharp blows. The blade released! Remove the tape immediately as it bonds too well if left. No marks on the motor and the amount of force on the pliers was also minimal therefore the motor remained round rather than becoming oval.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc