Prop Guards by Polar Pro

I have had them for 4+ months. Great fitment. I have flew in moderate winds with only a slight change in flight characteristics. On a calm day you wouldn't even know they were on other than the obvious overall appearance of the Solo.

What clearance do you have from the guard to the propeller tips?
I have 5-6mm.

Never actually measured. Never thought of measuring so that said I subconsciously must have never perceived there was any kind of clearance issue. As mentioned I have flown in moderate wind with the prop guards on with no issue. If the props were to come in contact with the guards I'm sure flying in higher winds would increase the likelihood.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So I ordered a set of these prop guards from Amazon and really liked what appeared to be a good quality product and added a nice look to my drone. I have been very cautious about what I add to the drone and the mods I do to it. After installing the prop guards, I ensured that I had proper clearance and test spun the motors before lift off.
Well today after my third flight with them this happened. I was hovering around 300 feet and winds were around 10 mph max. About six minutes into the flight I noticed the drone started to fly erratically and was rapidly losing altitude. I repeatedly press the pause button to try to brake it but the drone would not respond. The Solo landed hard but luckily stayed upright. I guess I had just enough lift to keep it stable and avoided catastrophic damage.

I contacted Dan with Polar Pro and he asked me to email him the pics. I told him I was disappointed that the very item I purchased to protect my props destroyed two of them and nearly destroyed my drone.

I will say that I do believe the leg extensions I purchased at the same time may have saved it from further damage.

They can replace the guards with a new set but I won't use them unless they do a redesign that somehow allows more than 2-3mm of clearance.

Reactions: Anthony Horrigan
I have them as well and never really flew with them because of a tab you need to put over the guards to attach it to the solo is annoying if you need to attach them and reattach them when you pack them up too but with new regulations on the way I am thinking it's better to use them at this point. Creativity will take a loss as a filmmaker myself if we keep getting cut by certain areas. Not going to complain though this solo is amazing

Update - Polar Pro has been in immediate contact with me and has made everything right. I passed on their offer to replace the guards as I'd like to see some design changes before I consider new guards.
I mentioned in my email back to Jeff how impressed I was with their other products including their leg extensions and that adding their LED light kit was my next add. No intention of hoping to receive something for nothing but guess what? They are sending me a light kit for good measure! Talk about customer service! It's refreshing to see companies out there that actually care about their customers. Well done Polar Pro

Reactions: prowler9
Restless Badger,
You had a very lucky escape, I too had my prop guards replaced by Polar Pro, excellent company, but to others thinking of using these guards, you must have 5mm - 6mm clearance all round, if not report it the Polar Pro, or you may not be as lucky.

Be safe and happy landing.....

I have them as well and never really flew with them because of a tab you need to put over the guards to attach it to the solo is annoying if you need to attach them and reattach them when you pack them up too but with new regulations on the way I am thinking it's better to use them at this point. Creativity will take a loss as a filmmaker myself if we keep getting cut by certain areas. Not going to complain though this solo is amazing
What new regulations are you referring to?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado