Possible Opensolo Wifi Bug.

I concur with Carpy- this is rather a hardware defect than software.
Again, please check the connection between your wifi card and the main board.

Thanks.
This is definitely not a wifi card connection problem.

It has nothing to do with open solo or not. The WiFi drivers and configuration are unchanged from 3DR. Unless you know someone who is willing and able to completely disect and change the WiFi drivers and configuration, then it is what it is.

You are the only one experiencing this at such high frequency. Most never experience it at all, or at worst once in a great while.

Well Matt, it looks like he and @Saijin_Naib are both experiencing it with some frequency. And just because something is a corner case doesn't mean it shouldn't be explored. Sometimes this is how other problems get fixed, as corner cases often expose internal behavior that usually remains hidden.

Now, granted, there are only so many people with the required knowledge, and their time is a precious thing. I get that. Possibly @n8lbv is a little strident in his pursuit, but that is always the case when a user has a problem - they want to solve it. I'd cut him some slack since he mostly seems to be seeking advice on how to troubleshoot and track down the root cause, possibly so he can fix it and contribute back.

I'm willing to work on kernel recompilation, as I believe this is likely the root cause - the Wifi Driver subsystem got a SIGNIFICANT overhaul in the 4.x kernel series. Many cards which had issues or just plain -didn't work- in 3.x will Just Work in 4.x. I am having some trouble getting started, but possibly the fall and maybe winter months will provide the time I need to get a compilation and testing environment set up. Anyone have a personal backup copy of the discuss.dronekit.io forums for the past 3 years?

However, I'm also waiting to see the results of the log files from a flight where this happens. Might be very illuminating

It would be wonderful to fix any problem, whether it is a rare edge case or not. But there is currently 0 people with the knowledge and will to do it (perhaps other than you?) So the more he keeps blowing it out of proportion like the sky is falling and insisting someone has to fix it for him, the more annoying it is to keep reading about. The thread titled Open Solo Wifi Bug is particularly annoying since it has nothing to do with Open Solo.

Reactions: jimloss
I'll get to work on those logs.
I don't at all believe that I am the only one having the problem.
I'm just now aware of the problem and know how to bring it out consistently.
I'm also in the process of seeing if I can get it to fail without even having to fly the Solo.
By simply walking out the TX (controller) in a residential area (no props on the solo)
until the connection is lost then walking back.
If it fails just as much or as easily without having to risk it up in the air each time people may be more
inclined to test their own and test them more extensively.

I also have a friend who owns a Solo completely stock that I may be able to run similar tests on swap wifi cards etc.
Yep it can be a lot of work.

I very much appreciate any/all help that is being offered!

And I will get you those logs made available here soon.

How much logging does the device hold?
Minutes hours? is there a reboot or rollover policy?

I'm unclear if I should provide ALL logs since I started flying it (or how long they are stored.
Or if they must be grabbed before rebooting etc.

Thanks!

I'll get to work on those logs.
I don't at all believe that I am the only one having the problem.
I'm just now aware of the problem and know how to bring it out consistently.
I'm also in the process of seeing if I can get it to fail without even having to fly the Solo.
By simply walking out the TX (controller) in a residential area (no props on the solo)
until the connection is lost then walking back.
If it fails just as much or as easily without having to risk it up in the air each time people may be more
inclined to test their own and test them more extensively.

I also have a friend who owns a Solo completely stock that I may be able to run similar tests on swap wifi cards etc.
Yep it can be a lot of work.

I very much appreciate any/all help that is being offered!

And I will get you those logs made available here soon.

How much logging does the device hold?
Minutes hours? is there a reboot or rollover policy?

I'm unclear if I should provide ALL logs since I started flying it (or how long they are stored.
Or if they must be grabbed before rebooting etc.

Thanks!
Logging in the /log directory on Solo and Controller are rotated in different ways so you don't need to worry about how much the device holds, and etc. Just grab all the logs found in the log directory.

System Logs | 3DR Solo Development Guide

I have only flown 3 times since my last post here (six flights)
And it has not happened since then.
So it's is not easy to catch with just a few flights.
But it WILL happen again and I will capture and share the logs when it does.
Thanks for hangout out here and trying to help.
I appreciate not being completely on my own with the issue.

Steve

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Just keeping an eye on this.
I've not flown it since my last post.
It's been cold and crappy out.
And I got a Mavic Pro.
Which implements 2.4GHz wireless the way it was meant to be.
The range and reliability are insanely good.
The way it should be.

Just keeping an eye on this.
I've not flown it since my last post.
It's been cold and crappy out.
And I got a Mavic Pro.
Which implements 2.4GHz wireless the way it was meant to be.
The range and reliability are insanely good.
The way it should be.
If by 'the way it should be' you mean a completely non-standard, custom, proprietary protocol and signal stack then yes.

Solo was intentionally built on open STANDARDS so experimentation and enhancement could occur.

Occusync might be fantastically low latency and have ridiculous [but legally unusable] range , but unless they publish a spec and some 3rd party starts making cards or drop in hardware modules it is just an also-ran to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela