Photo Mode/V1.3 Questions

Reaction score
I know majority of the work out there is video so I thought I'd start an inquiry thread on stills

setup: H4 Black with ND filters ND4/CP and ND8/CP

1. Is there a way to focus? Tap to focus, hold down the shutter button/pan paddle to lock a focus? My photos are coming out really soft.

2. Is lowest ISO always preferrable when using ND filters even in non-low light situations?

3. "Record During Shots" in the settings what exactly does this do? I typically toggle btw video/and photo and never use the video+photo mode.

4. I'm using Lightroom to defish and the edge of the frames looks very flattened out. Is there a better way to defish that's just as easy? How does the GoPro suite defish for stills?

5. GoPro color setting: In "flat", what are some LUT/presets people are using?

Thanks

Reactions: J R
Hi Twitchy

1. You cannot focus a GoPro. It works on the principle that the depth of field gives maximum focus through the range of the scene, check the specs on the GoPro site.
2. I haven't used the ND filters yet, but ND knock some light out so the lowest ISO will not always be your best bet. Try setting your ISO to 400 max.
3. Record during shots - i believe - is for smart shots. If that is on and you use a smart shot it will automatically start recording. Otherwise during manual flight it's down to you to hit records
4.The easiest way to remove the fisheye is to use the goPor editing software, it;s built into that, however try using a Medium field of view to reduce what you record. There is a sticky post on the Solo Discussion forum for Best Settings for the GoPro. It's the bible. Use it!
5. I don't use a LUT, although you could but as each scene varies it might be best to manually colour correct each scene. Others may be able to help here.

I hope all that helps.

Jon

Reactions: twitchyzero
I use Solo for stills a lot. As Jon said, no focus for GoPro, set ISO to 400 (it will stay lower than that until it needs more light), and "record during shots" is only for smart shots. No need for ND filter for stills, that is only useful to reduce jello on video. On stills a ND will just reduce your light.

Since you already use Lightroom that is the best way to color correct. LUTs are for video. I typically sharpen my GoPro Solo jpgs 50%, pull the black slider to the left, increase saturation, etc. Whatever works for still photos in LR works for GoPro stills.

I like to take a number of overlapping shots and merge them, LR has a great merge to panorama feature. That way you get more resolution and can even trim off the blurry edges of the single frames.

I have a number of stills taken with the Solo on my website here:

Drone Stills - Bob Gates

Thanks Tim. Now I have to try some overlapping frames with the new 4.4.

I really like my 4.4
when you do overlaps are you just panning or are you flying in a mapping manner to get your panos

This works best for straight down shots (as you can see, most of mine are like that). I just fly over and take as many shots as I think I need, making sure to get a good overlap.

thanks for the tip
Bob, are you using GoPro "flat"? What about WB?

I keep an ND on because I toggle between photo and video modes. With that said, should I look to increase my ISO to 800? Obviously I can experiement, but probably faster asking from someone experiend as you are :)

No, don't increase your ISO to 800, though it probably wouldn't matter. The GoPro uses the lowest ISO it can, the number you set is only the limit. I use GoPro color. It still needs some tweaking in Lightroom. I am normally shooting in daylight, so I leave the WB at 5500, but since I can change it in LR it doesn't matter very much. I also have sharpening on low, since I think Lightroom can do a better job than GoPro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nienha2207