Part 107 Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bill is 624 pages.

Click link to view: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

• A person operating a small UAS must either hold a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating or be under
    the direct supervision of a person who does hold a remote
    pilot certificate (remote pilot in command).
My Bottom line take away is this: If you are flying with this certificate your golden. If someone questions you and you have a certificate, they know you are playing by the rules, assuming you are.

Now if someone wants to research and give me a simple step by step on how to get a certificate that would be much appreciated.

Hi ALL
I'm really new to this but have had my drone for about 6 months. Does this new rule means I have to get a license or something ? A certificate?
Seriously? Read it, it's pretty well explained. You take a test, and that test gets you a certificate.

I don't think the test exists yet, so nobody on here knows what that test will contain

Hi ALL
I'm really new to this but have had my drone for about 6 months. Does this new rule means I have to get a license or something ? A certificate?

My understanding, this is for communal use. If you are a hobbies and have registered your drone you are good, just play by the rules.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting tidbit from the bill about cost:

"The FAA has analyzed the benefits and the costs associated with this final rule. The estimated out-of-pocket cost for an individual to become FAA certificated as a remote pilot with a small UAS rating is $150, which is less than the cost of any other airman certification that allows non-recreational operations in the NAS. 4 The final rule will enable a new industry to unfold while imposing relatively low individual costs. "

Hi ALL
@waxer Read the document or the paste I put above. Yes, you need to get a certificate that allows you to fly for business/income purposes. If you're merely a hobbyist/model flier, then you don't need to do anything outside of flying by the rules.

Reactions: waxer
@waxer Read the document or the paste I put above. Yes, you need to get a certificate that allows you to fly for business/income purposes. If you're merely a hobbyist/model flier, then you don't need to do anything outside of flying by the rules.
thank you

In the text of the regulation it spells out what areas of knowledge will be tested.

So my questions are:
1) Who has the testing info?
2)Is there a course curriculum?
3) When will the testing centers have the test?
4) How do you get TSA clearance? (I can't find anything on this)
5) Cost for TSA and knowledge test?

No, not likely. The FAA doesn't test people on legislation. Their tests are very practical and based on reality and required knowledge. Not memorizing something written by a politician.
True, but things such as, flying with in line-of-site with out visual enhancers beyond corrective lenses, or that a first person camera does not satisfy "see-and-avoid", and also FAA's definition of "safe operations". Tons of things in there that doesn't hurt if gleaned. I'm finding it an interesting read.

Last edited:
"Remote Pilot" does not need to keep VLOS, a visual observer can satisfy the VLOS requirement. But I believe the Remote Pilot needs to have the ability to go VLOS if needed.

True, but things such as, flying with in line-of-site with out visual enhancers beyond corrective lenses, or that a first person camera does not satisfy "see-and-avoid", and also FAA's definition of "safe operations". Tons of things in there that doesn't hurt if gleaned. I'm finding it an interesting read.

Absolutely. I would consider all that practical required knowledge.

In the text of the regulation it spells out what areas of knowledge will be tested.

So my questions are:
1) Who has the testing info?
2)Is there a course curriculum?
3) When will the testing centers have the test?
4) How do you get TSA clearance? (I can't find anything on this)
5) Cost for TSA and knowledge test?

1) Probably nobody yet
2) Probably not yet.
3) Probably an unreasonably long time after 1 & 2 are figured out :)
3) Strip to your underwear, take off your shoes, and wait in line.
4) Apparently about $150.

Since when did you need

You're stating all of this quite matter of factly (is that a word?). Is this something you expect to be part of the new rules? Actual ATC clearance for B/C/D airspace that extends to the surface, and being in radio communication with ATC sounds quite far fetched to me. In fact, I don't for a second believe you will be in radio communication with ATC at all. It's highly unlikely you would even be able to reach them with a portable radio from the ground that far away. The notion of someone flying a 2lb plastic toy at 400AGL being in radio communication with NY Approach Control (or any approach controller) is ludicrous.

No. This was what we have to do since we received our exemption. What I stated is what is in the exemption. Ny approach control is a class b, so you are right it is ludicrous. That is why they will deny your COA if you are trying to fly within 5 miles of the airport, as will class c and d, therefore there will be no flights within that 5 mile boundary.

I think a lot of people will need to start leaning how to read an aviation sectional chart now. I hope that is part of the test. That's the only way to know what the airspace you're looking at involves. Fortunately the B/C/D/E airspace that extends down to surface is usually a fairly small footprint immediately surrounding applicable airports compared to the rest of it. The vast majority of B/C/D/E airspace doesn't begin until well above 400ft above ground.

Correct, but they measure the 5 mile boundary from the center of the airport. That is what drives the train.

While I have not read all 624 pages... There is nothing listed in the summaries that says you need clearance, radio communication, or most of that other stuff you listed with ATC. It says you need permission. That is not the same thing. Of course they could as a general practice simply say no all the time without putting any thought it into it. Which wouldn't surprise me, since I doubt any tower or approach controller wants to spend one iota of a minute on a phantom taking pictures of a house. But at deltas and smaller charlies, I don't think assuming the answer will be no is appropriate.

Also, the rule does not say 5 miles. It says within B/C/D/E airspace. The B/C/D/E airspace footprint that extends down to the surface is not necessarily a 5 mile radius. You have to look at a chart. Skyvector will be your friend.

While I have not read all 624 pages... There is nothing listed in the summaries that says you need clearance, radio communication, or most of that other stuff you listed with ATC. It says you need permission. That is not the same thing. Of course they could as a general practice simply say no all the time without putting any thought it into it. Which wouldn't surprise me, since I doubt any tower or approach controller wants to spend one iota of a minute on a phantom taking pictures of a house. But at deltas and smaller charlies, I don't think assuming the answer will be no is appropriate.

Also, the rule does not say 5 miles. It says within B/C/D/E airspace. The B/C/D/E airspace footprint that extends down to the surface is not necessarily a 5 mile radius. You have to look at a chart. Skyvector will be your friend.
This is off the FAA UAS page
Operating Rules: (for business/commercial)
  • Class G airspace*
  • Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)*
  • Must fly under 400 feet*
  • Must fly during the day*
  • Must fly at or below 100 mph*
  • Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Must NOT fly over people*
  • Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle*
Which I take to mean you will need a waiver for any exceptions to the above. Waiver go through the online COA portal to be processed by the ATO.

In order to maintain operational safety in the vicinity of airports, particularly as it affects Class B, C, or D airspace, instead of contacting the airport management, the petitioner must apply to the ATO for a new or amended COA. The ATO will coordinate an LOA with local air traffic management via the COA process. The FAA finds that this approach facilitates consistency between the exemption and the COA.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for Airport Operators – Airports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44