pano stitcher

Yes, Hughin. Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

Hughin is basically a GUI using a Panorama Tools engine. As is typical with open source projects, however, it is filled with lots of power and a complicated interface. They have tutorials at SourceForge page.

If you intend on making some wall size prints from the GoPro images then you may want to experiment with dual row panoramas, after you nail the single row work flow. The geek crowd swears by spherical panoramas. You may find that it is more trouble than it is worth.

My go to stitcher is the one that is in Lightroom. Since I use Lightroom for my workflow (see the panorama page here Panoramas | Barking Deer℠ Photography and here Panoramas and HDR | robertrose.photos ) this is freeware to me. It is also part of Photoshop, both of which come in the Adobe CC Photography plan.

If you want any tips or help with a panorama, feel free to contact me directly.

Reactions: Toiletbowl
Yes, Hughin. Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

Hughin is basically a GUI using a Panorama Tools engine. As is typical with open source projects, however, it is filled with lots of power and a complicated interface. They have tutorials at SourceForge page.

If you intend on making some wall size prints from the GoPro images then you may want to experiment with dual row panoramas, after you nail the single row work flow. The geek crowd swears by spherical panoramas. You may find that it is more trouble than it is worth.

My go to stitcher is the one that is in Lightroom. Since I use Lightroom for my workflow (see the panorama page here Panoramas | Barking Deer℠ Photography and here Panoramas and HDR | robertrose.photos ) this is freeware to me. It is also part of Photoshop, both of which come in the Adobe CC Photography plan.

If you want any tips or help with a panorama, feel free to contact me directly.
hello robert i have 5 pano shots can do sample to stitch hehe what is your email i will send you the file, thanks

You may be eligible for a prize for creating a set of unstitchable images. Photoshop worked for an hour and ended up with garbage. Lightroom refused within seconds. The best that could be done are two separate panoramas, attached.

The art of making a successful panorama starts in the camera, and unfortunately the GoPro (or any automatic camera) is not the ideal tool. Counter-intuitively, the best lens is a distortion free normal length lens (such as a 50mm on a full frame sensor), since the distortion in a typical wide-angle lens such as on the GoPro gives the math processor in the stitching program an impossible task trying to align warped images.

Next, the programs can't work at all unless there are enough reference points in common between adjacent frames. To facilitate this the rule of thumb is to capture the images with 20% overlap on both sides. A program such as Hughin allows for manual setting of key points, but that is very time consuming and tedious. The movement of clouds (and the aerial tram) are further problems, because the programs assume that reference points are stationary and a stitch will fail if one of these was chosen by the program and it moved relative to the background between frames.

The third point here is that it remains important to turn off auto exposure and auto white balance if possible when taking more than 90 degrees of frames, because the stitching programs are still rudimentary in the ability to stitch adjacent frames with vastly different exposures. In your images the western (I assume) frames are directly into the sun and suffer from significant lens flare. This gives a dramatic difference in white balance, exposure, shadow detail and color saturation from the eastern frames. If you want a 180 degree pano you will have to get the sun behind you.

Also, your frame of reference was too close to shore to stitch the whole scene. Even if it could be accomplished at this close in position you would not have a wide panorama, but rather a warped semi-circle.

So, you have to go back and reshoot. If you live there, then let me know and I will come and take the shots.

These images are JPG files. If you want the (much larger) raw files let me know.

Island Pano-1.jpg Island Pano-2.jpg

thanks rob for the tip information now im learning how the photography works. i will reshoot again on sunrise because those imagaes are sunset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela