Orbit: bypassing central point?

Reaction score
hello,

so my understanding is that you just point at the base of your subject and away you go after pressing 'A'.

it still seems to go by the central point set on the sat view rather than actually framing the shot in FPV. The thing is I'm out of the country and the sat view usually does nto load correctly (very slow internet?), therefore I am left guestimating where the central point should be and as a result ended up with an uneven orbit.

has someone learned how to use orbit without relying on that sat map?

Reactions: Tamj
I'd like some tips on this too. I ran into the same problem as you. Even if I did have sat images, it's still off by a few feet which makes a world of difference.

You can download and cache maps for use later off line. If your tablet / phone has good GPS lock the map should correlate accurately enough. I recommend using Map Box as your provider.

The easiest and most accurate is to be directly over your object with the camera pointing 90 degrees straight down. Don't even use the map - frame it in the video feed. Set the orbit point, then pull the stick back to fly solo backwards and widen the circle.

This will work without maps. It's also more accurate because the images with google maps and stuff are not necessarily from 100% directly overhead, so it may (most likely) be off a bit. This also works great for things that aren't even on the maps, like your car.

What PdxSteve says is correct and a sure fire way to center your shot.

Another way that doesn't require maps is to stand with your GPS device at the desired center location (shows up as a blue dot on Android) and move the screen display with centering circle on top of the blue dot. This doesn't require maps, just GPS.

Reactions: RichWest
The easiest and most accurate is to be directly over your object with the camera pointing 90 degrees straight down. Don't even use the map - frame it in the video feed. Set the orbit point, then pull the stick back to fly solo backwards and widen the circle.

This will work without maps. It's also more accurate because the images with google maps and stuff are not necessarily from 100% directly overhead, so it may (most likely) be off a bit. This also works great for things that aren't even on the maps, like your car.

Never thought of that. Great idea.

I was hoping something like this is possible. Great tip! Thank you so much.

hello,

so my understanding is that you just point at the base of your subject and away you go after pressing 'A'.

it still seems to go by the central point set on the sat view rather than actually framing the shot in FPV. The thing is I'm out of the country and the sat view usually does nto load correctly (very slow internet?), therefore I am left guestimating where the central point should be and as a result ended up with an uneven orbit.

has someone learned how to use orbit without relying on that sat map?

Good question! I'm also in a very non-urban area in Alaska and never get the sat view, only a basic map of nearest streets. I look forward to the same answers you seek.

What a great and simple solution. Especially considering that when I downlaod a Mapbox map and took at the sat map on the Solo app, I almost never actually get a sat image, just a map. Gonna try it tomorrow am. THANKS

Actually this is how you do poi using the DJI Go app since they will not allow you to select a point on the map. All the APM guys complained about it as being a disadvantageo_O

simple and yet useful!

sorry I just read your reply now. I heard orbit has also been updated with 2.4

wonder if your foolproof method still works exactly the same way?

simple and yet useful!

sorry I just read your reply now. I heard orbit has also been updated with 2.4

wonder if your foolproof method still works exactly the same way?

I haven't tried the new features yet but from the sound of it, it is much much better now. An augmented reality feature has been added which overlays the video feed with the points of interest such as your home point and your orbit point. A map is just bonus at this point.

I'm guessing that's how it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks