Open Solo 3.0. arducopter dev 3.7

Reaction score
Website
www.robertpower.com.au
I have successfully installed (I think) Arducopter 3.7 dev onto one of my open solo 3.0.0 birds with a black cube using Solex app. Aslo installed the 3.7 firmware update on the controller.

Everything as per Matt's ( @Pedals2Paddles ) instructions were fine and no problems....I think. I was able to do a compass and IMU cal and I am able to arm the bird to fly and start motors (without props at this stage).

My question is I note the change in LED lights (green and red on front and flashing blue on back) and found reference to them on the Net. If the bird sits for a period it makes a chirp, not sure if this is a reminder to hurry up and start flying or an error. I also not a different sound when booting up the solo.

Just want to make sure the above is normal before I put props on and fly.

Do I need to modify anything in Solo to install OpenSolo 3.0? I bought a new floor and wanted to install the opensolo without opening the equipment. Is there any video explaining this procedure?

Do I need to modify anything in Solo to install OpenSolo 3.0? I bought a new floor and wanted to install the opensolo without opening the equipment. Is there any video explaining this procedure?
No need to modify anything. The instructions are clear. Solex
No. Assuming you have Solex just follow the instructions in the Github link. Read them several times so that you understand. It went seamlessly for me and I’m no techie.

This is my secont attempt to install the 3.7dev.
I am the kind of guy who reads and follow all the instructions step by step (Open Solo 3.0.0 working perfectly as the gimbal)...
BUT (after reset params and calibration)...
now i got these prearm: fence requires position (and there´s no geo fences stored) with 10 sats 0.9 HDOP (and ready to flight)
and the gimbal (as the first attempt) makes this slow dance and "clacking" (hiccup jumping) noises... it moves by itself slowly on any directions while on ground (couldn´t test it on fly because i was not allowed to fly due to the prearm error)
what could it be @Pedals2Paddles ?

This is my secont attempt to install the 3.7dev.
I am the kind of guy who reads and follow all the instructions step by step (Open Solo 3.0.0 working perfectly as the gimbal)...
BUT (after reset params and calibration)...
now i got these prearm: fence requires position (and there´s no geo fences stored) with 10 sats 0.9 HDOP (and ready to flight)
and the gimbal (as the first attempt) makes this slow dance and "clacking" (hiccup jumping) noises... it moves by itself slowly on any directions while on ground (couldn´t test it on fly because i was not allowed to fly due to the prearm error)
what could it be @Pedals2Paddles ?
If you don’t have a camera in the gimbal then it will hum, buzz and do strange things. Once you install the camera it’s fine.

If you don’t have a camera in the gimbal then it will hum, buzz and do strange things. Once you install the camera it’s fine.

yeap... the camera is fixed on the gimbal... I never turn on Solo without a camera on the gimbal...
it hiccups and dance WITH the camera on...

:confused:

yeap... the camera is fixed on the gimbal... I never turn on Solo without a camera on the gimbal...
it hiccups and dance WITH the camera on...

:confused:
1st., remember that I am just a fellow Solo'er and no tech expert. That said, I have gone through at least 5 gimbals. Reasons vary, but the common denominator is pilot error. So, based only on my experience, I'd have to say that your gimbal is fuk'd up. Could be anything like the connector on the board inside the solo or the one on the gimbal. Could be a piece of sand lodged in one of the gimbal motors ( but I doubt it's that). Most likely it's the ribbon connector that is on the gimbal itself. You know, that dark, plastic coated looking ribbon that connects in two places on the gimbal in between the two boards. A few of mine have failed near the 90 degree turn that the ribbon makes entering the camera housing assembly. Then again, you could have had a hard landing that jarred the fk out of the thing and knocked something else out of whack. There is one thing I do know for sure though and I'm absolutely certain about this: Beating the gimbal as if it were a misbehaving red-headed stepchild doesn't usually work. Well, at least in my case it doesn't anyway. Good luck to ya buds.

1st., remember that I am just a fellow Solo'er and no tech expert. That said, I have gone through at least 5 gimbals. Reasons vary, but the common denominator is pilot error. So, based only on my experience, I'd have to say that your gimbal is fuk'd up. Could be anything like the connector on the board inside the solo or the one on the gimbal. Could be a piece of sand lodged in one of the gimbal motors ( but I doubt it's that). Most likely it's the ribbon connector that is on the gimbal itself. You know, that dark, plastic coated looking ribbon that connects in two places on the gimbal in between the two boards. A few of mine have failed near the 90 degree turn that the ribbon makes entering the camera housing assembly. Then again, you could have had a hard landing that jarred the fk out of the thing and knocked something else out of whack. There is one thing I do know for sure though and I'm absolutely certain about this: Beating the gimbal as if it were a misbehaving red-headed stepchild doesn't usually work. Well, at least in my case it doesn't anyway. Good luck to ya buds.

hi!
I don´t know, not sure about that, the gimbal was working perfeclty on 3dr firmware 2.4.2 and on OpenSolo3.0.0.
It began to act weird when I upgraded to Solo3.7dev, no hard crashes, nothing, it was acting as it should until 3.7dev... reset params... new calibrations... all the steps on the instructions...

I am considering an Arducopter upgrade. My Solo is running Open Solo3, has a stock, black cube and the old HERE GPS (the leg compass was removed). I have needed to use SidePilot on an iPad to do the Open Solo installs as my Nexus7 android device is too stupid to get it done.

I will follow these directions: Pedals2Paddles/OpenSolo

SidePilot is showing various FW options: 3.5.4, 3.6.3 and some 3.7 choices (screenshot attached).

Not sure which FW option to choose. Advice or suggestions?

Are these FW updates stable/solid without the GreenCube?

Attachments

• 0CECBB88-A6B3-428D-B697-B012C7EC8372.png
    0CECBB88-A6B3-428D-B697-B012C7EC8372.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc