Notam FDC 6/8818

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted I have not run across a post about it yet, but on my weather brief the past two days the FSS brief has brought up this NOTAM. I have cut and pasted it below. It does specifically includes UAS. Anyone who holds a pilot certificate should probably take note.

FDC 6/8818 - ...SPECIAL NOTICE...IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE OR IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND OTHER SENSITIVE LOCATIONS SUCH AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES, CORRECTIONAL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FACILITIES UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED. PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES. 23 MAR 15:38 2016 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 23 MAR 15:37 2016

Reactions: J R
Not sure if this has been posted I have not run across a post about it yet, but on my weather brief the past two days the FSS brief has brought up this NOTAM.

Ant,

Sounds to me like the first "official" warning to start automatically putting down birds. It may be time to start exercising some authority. I guess I cant blame them, idiots abound. Unfortunately, it will probably cost some good folks their birds. Evolution, I guess.

Jerry

Ant,

Sounds to me like the first "official" warning to start automatically putting down birds. It may be time to start exercising some authority. I guess I cant blame them, idiots abound. Unfortunately, it will probably cost some good folks their birds. Evolution, I guess.

Jerry

Without a doubt ...

Surely some terrorist group will employ UAS in their fight against their oppressors. "Drones" are perfect for aerial recon ... maps, 3D models and geo coords ... There's no way for our government to differentiate between "US and THEM" ... we need IFF for UAS ;)

Ant,

Jerry
The FAA and folks will not be "put down birds" but folks who work in these institution will be told BOTL for "aircraft and UAS's" and to report loitering to law enforcement. They have a tendency to show up on these cases when called. A similar NOTAM has been in place warning aircraft for nearly a decade. This new one expands the scope and now includes the UAS. Law enforcement met aircraft at the landing airport and questioned them, with one noted event where a glider pilot was taken into custody for a day without access to an attorney, or phone, or anything.

Thanks for the info but I'd bet at some point they'll do just that.

That's a great conspiracy theory and all. But that's not reality. Shooting down aircraft because you don't like them, or think they may possibly be suspicious is not something the government or any private company can or will be doing. Unless it is presenting and active threat, like dropping drugs and guns into a prison yard, it's not going to happen. Also note, this is not a rule or prohibition. It is a recommendation. And that recommendation has been in place for a decade. This is not new. It's just been reworded to include UAS.

But that's not reality.

Pedal,

It sure wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something but I'm going to stay out on the limb on this one. I do believe that it's only a matter of time when they'll start downing birds. Not by shooting them down but by some electronic means in conjunction with the manufacturers. DJI showed the prospect of such a thing with their premature implementation of their Geo-fencing. I can and do envision a time when there is something similar to the "do not call list" for the airspace above your property. Limited in scope and altitude but with the ability to land a UAV when it attempts to encroach a predefined airspace. As I said earlier, I can't say I blame them as it may very well become necessary. I also said, I could be wrong. Just my stupid opinion. ;)

Jerry

That's a great conspiracy theory and all. But that's not reality.

Interesting thread over at the "white" guy forum. A guy had 3 new P3's go down in a similar manner in the same area at different times. Seemed to be flying fine and all of the sudden spiraled out of control and crashed. Here is a quote from someone this morning regarding the issue:

"SIGINT is intercepting drone signals, scrambling the compass, and sending the bird into its fiery death spiral. It's a program scheduled to be distributed to law enforcement worldwide in the near future. Dji is aware, and is actually embedding a tracking beacon in the current firmware "upgrade". Not coincidently, sales are up 20 percent in the test areas."

I have absolutely no idea whether this is factual or not but thought I'd pass it along.

Jerry

That is not factual. In fact, that is the most incompetent pile of non-sense I have ever read. Whoever wrote that lives in their mother's basement reading INFOWARS headlines 24/7. They're the type that believes no planes were used on 9/11, and MH370 is parked at Diego Garcia. And whoever wrote is apparently not even aware of what SIGINT means. SIGINT is not a person, group, place, or organization. SIGINT is not an entity, it's an abbreviation for Signal Intelligence. Which is the fancy word for spying by way of intercepting electronic communication and signals, such as wire tapping and radio intercepts. This idiot seems to think some entity called SIGINT is scrambling the magnetic field of the earth, causing drones to crash all over the world. This idiot also seems to think there is coordination and agreement among worldwide law enforcement, which is laughable.

Anyway, thank you for the morning laugh. This once again makes me happy I went with 3DR and not DJI if that's the kind of idiocy they have over there.

Anyway, thank you for the morning laugh. This once again makes me happy I went with 3DR and not DJI if that's the kind of idiocy they have over there.

Pedal,

Got it! Obviously, you know much more about this stuff than I do. I just thought I'd pass on the interesting read. Certainly wasn't attempting to get you all riled up. I hope you have a great day!

Jerry

Don't worry, you didn't get me riled up. You got me amused. That kind of conspiracy BS usually frustrates me, but in this context, it is more amusing the frustrating. Perhaps if the people who believe that stuff stop flying and retreat to their tin foil encased basement, we'll be better off anyway :)

Perhaps if the people who believe that stuff stop flying and retreat to their tin foil encased basement, we'll be better off anyway :)

Pedal,

With the NFZ and Geo stuff that went on over there, nothing surprises me anymore. I'm retired so I do a lot of reading. I've kept my "white" ones on older versions of both firmware and software because of these debacles and I'm happy to say that mine fly quite well. I guess I'm just extremely suspicious, especially with regards to the Chinese government. I know very little about this stuff, just trying to learn. Trying to keep my brain and hands going! ;)

Thanks for the info!

Jerry

You're right to be suspicious of the Chinese government. But the rest of that conspiracy theory is hogwash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in computing and software, SIGINT is also SIGnal INTerrupt. There is also SIGKILL and a few others. I'd bet this is what they were referring to in this context (without having read the article) rather than signal intelligence.

The SIGINT signal is sent to a process by its controlling terminal when a user wishes to interrupt the process. This is typically initiated by pressing Ctrl-C, but on some systems, the "delete" character or "break" key can be used.

Well, in computing and software, SIGINT is also SIGnal INTerrupt. There is also SIGKILL and a few others. I'd bet this is what they were referring to in this context (without having read the article) rather than signal intelligence.
Interesting. But the concept remains the same. SIGINT is not an entity that is doing, coordinating, or deciding anything. This person seems to think that SIGINT is some black ops government agency out to get people's plastic toys by altering the earth's magnetic field and confusing a compass...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44