Not a fly-away but not far from it. Solo rolled upside down and slammed to the ground

Any news on this issue? I'm curious to know if 3dr declared it motor failure as the video seems to definitively prove.

The one thing that really terrifies me about the solo is the possibility of a motor failure destroying the bird.

Hey KoofProof,

3DR stated it was a "brown out" which I assume means some sort of partial power failure. I sent the Solo to them and it took them about 30 days to return to me a refurbished one. It was definitely a used drone I got back but it does work. One word of caution about the 3DR exchange program is I sent them a Solo that had less than 1 hour of flying time and it had a Rev B GPS and what I got back was a Rev A so that is a big step backwards? While I was waiting I bought another Solo so I now have two. I put the MRo updated GPS in the newer one and I get 16+ satellites every time. I'll do the same to the refurb I was sent soon too.

Reactions: KoofPoof
Hey KoofProof,

3DR stated it was a "brown out" which I assume means some sort of partial power failure. I sent the Solo to them and it took them about 30 days to return to me a refurbished one. It was definitely a used drone I got back but it does work. One word of caution about the 3DR exchange program is I sent them a Solo that had less than 1 hour of flying time and it had a Rev B GPS and what I got back was a Rev A so that is a big step backwards? While I was waiting I bought another Solo so I now have two. I put the MRo updated GPS in the newer one and I get 16+ satellites every time. I'll do the same to the refurb I was sent soon too.

Brownout is another terrifyingly vague descriptor I fear. Glad to hear it's sorted, kinda sucks you got a RevA back.

since 3DR replaced your solo wonder how long will 3DR be doing this. do they have a boatload of solo parts/units for customers replacement?

since 3DR replaced your solo wonder how long will 3DR be doing this. do they have a boatload of solo parts/units for customers replacement?
At some point you'd think they'd license out manufacturing to third parties to support their Enterprise clients. I realize site scan can be used on just about any pixhawk powered quad, but the solo is just plain awesome.

I Really want em to license out their gimbal code to trusted 3rd parties like mRo or other former 3dr staff so new gimbals can be developed.

I am new to the drone movement.. I received a Solo as a Christmas gift. The first few flights were great and were short mostly getting used to the functionality of Solo, the controller and App. I haven't had any troubles until today and today I had big troubles. I did the normal start -> take off procedure and Solo was hovering just perfectly and before I flew it away manually all on its own it rolled upside down and slammed into the concrete drive upside down. BOOM! It scared the daylights out of me. Parts scattered including the propeller pieces and the battery popped off and some of the LED light covers fell off. Amazingly it didn't do a lot of damage that I can tell so far. It broke all four propellers and one of the motors is jammed and won't turn as freely as the other three. I put it all together and fired it up to see if it would lock on satellites and it did. I didn't start it up of course due to the one motor being basically seized up. I submitted a ticket to 3DR explaining all of this and I am ever so hopeful they will take care of things.

Has anyone had that same problem before?
Has anyone had 3DR fix their drone for a problem like this one?
Sorry about your solo. I was just curious which GoPro / settings you're using. Image quality looks great in the YouTube video.
"and before I flew it away manually"
Most likely you caused the accident. Most beginners shouldn't attempt to fly "Manually" until they learned most of everything they need to learn. weeks maybe?
If it's Solos' fault, then 3DR will replace it.
Everything you did, on almost every flight, is recorded in logs & when you made a ticket to 3DR, these logs were automatically sent to 3DR customer services.
Of the 7500 Members here, not too many reports like yours?
Most user errors: Too near "buildings, T-poles, cars, trees etc....GPS interference
Most Hardware errors "3DR's fault" Bad ESC's, Bad Motors, Bad GPS unit. GPS<---very rare

Hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40