No GPS Satellites

Reaction score
Anybody have any tips on resolving a complete lack of satellites? Even after power cycling several times and waiting 10 minutes in between, I get no satellites.

I can manually fly my SOLO without GPS, but I don't get any birds at all. I've checked the connector, foil tape, and tried the cardboard insert between the GPS module and the foil.. to no avail. Help!

It's possible that the satellite coverage in your area is down. You can:
-Check NOTAMS for your area
-Use an app like GPS Essentials to see if there are actually any satellites beaming in your area

We run a skydiving competition based entirely around satellite reception to GPS receivers. No satellites, no competition. There are websites that announce solar activity/GPS interruption, and apps to indicate satellite presence. Both may be of use to you.
Paralog.net/ppc , lower left hand corner, has an indicator of solar activity. You can also use the Space Weather Prediction Service (free).
HTH

Have you ever gotten GPS signal?

Sounds like you have a faulty GPS module or at least a faulty cable between the module and bird. I'd call 3DR.

Have you ever gotten GPS signal?

Sounds like you have a faulty GPS module or at least a faulty cable between the module and bird. I'd call 3DR.

All they gotta do is hit the support link in the app, they dont even have to call

I've contacted 3DR several times by phone, and by email. I just sent the logs to them as well from the App. I'll post more updates as I hear back from them.

I have also had really bad sat lock. But I have not been able to fly my solo without sat lock, the controller just vibrates and beeps at me.

I will try again tomorrow but dont know about thevwire or cardboard you guys mentioned... Any help with understanding that?

In order to fly without satellite lock, you need to enable advanced flight modes. When the app is connected to the SOLO, go to settings, Solo, and you'll see advanced settings. Be careful, without GPS it is very difficult to fly.

I'm not convinced the wire mod or cardboard mod has any benefit. I tried them both. I finally swapped my SOLO out for a new one, and she's working great now.

I had a similar problem yesterday. My controller showed 8 sats, but the "Press to Start Motors" never showed on screen. I recycled everything, and the same thing happened. I decided to take the battery out of the controller to reset it, and when I started everything back up, I immediately acquired 12 sats. I don't know if this will help your problem, but it is a simple thing to try. Good luck.

Be careful, without GPS it is very difficult to fly..
Actually, this is not true and a common misconception among new pilots. Acro mode can be very challenging, but Manual mode is fully stabilized and the altitude is held with the barometer. In fact, if there is no wind and you switch to manual it would be very difficult to tell the difference. GPS (Fly) mode is responsible for holding position when you let go of the sticks. Manual mode will drift with any wind only but easily corrected. I encourage all pilots to learn and be comfortable with manual and program it to the A or B buttons. See below..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I updated last night, and got anywhere from 8 to 10 sats indoors. Haven't flown yet, but I hope the acquisition is faster outdoors.

Has this issue been resolved or addressed? I failed to get any satellites today on my Solo where my other birds were getting 9-11 satellites. Left it out for over half an hour, nothing. Zero sat count. Updated to latest firmware.

Has this issue been resolved or addressed? I failed to get any satellites today on my Solo where my other birds were getting 9-11 satellites. Left it out for over half an hour, nothing. Zero sat count. Updated to latest firmware.
Shouldn't have 0 unless you are laying on top of it inside a metal building. Check you connections at both ends, and not just that they are plugged in. Several users have found a wire or 2 that were not all the way in on the connectors.

Shouldn't have 0 unless you are laying on top of it inside a metal building. Check you connections at both ends, and not just that they are plugged in. Several users have found a wire or 2 that were not all the way in on the connectors.
Yep checked all connections and since I had it open I did the "cardboard between shield and circuit board" mod and don't know if it was the connection check or the mod but went from 0 to 8 satellites at the same location. Success! Too bad it's dark now haha.

Reactions: Solo Keith

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M