Need Help to Diagnose Rolling Video Feed

Reaction score
Hello to all,

First post for me, though following for a while. My issue is that I have have had some recent rolling video feed when I fly my Solo. In the past, I had this issue and 3DR gave me a new HDMI cable, a new gimbal, & ultimately a refurbished Solo.

To diagnose this issue, I have taken the gimbal off and opened up the Solo to check the connection of the internal HDMI connection. I disconnect and reconnect the HDMI and gimbal data cables. On first flight, after doing this, & all is good. On the second or third battery, the rolling video feed becomes a huge issue and ultimately freezes up. I even hot glued the HDMI connection points, because I believe they were vibrating loose during flight.

I initially thought the HDMI cable was bad, but it works if I disconnect and reconnect. What do you all think is the issue is? I question the gimbal data cable? Looking for your thoughts and expertise. Thanks!

The best advice is to search the forum, http://3drpilots.com/search/1350304/?q=rolling+video&o=relevance
Only because there will be several reason, discussion and outcomes. The data cable has nothing to do with the video feed.

May I ask how your hdmi cable is installed into the gimbal, basically the cable routing in around solo. I'm just curious if your install is based on the seemingly popular videos that position the cable behind the post...

I appreciate all of your responses. I am wondering where you got your hard foam to put behind the HDMI connection? Also, did you just pinch the connection with your finger or did you use a needle nose or similar? What about the HDMI connection at the gimbal; did you do anything for that one?
My HDMI is positioned behind the post, but is there a better method?

I plan to fix today and fly later.

Thanks again!

Personally I don't like the idea of the cable behind the post, but many swear by it...but then the same people post little confirming video from their results.

The gimbal is actually moving quite a bit during a normal flight, if installed properly it should move somewhat to absorb vibration. With the hdmi cable placed behind the post, it's restricting the gimbal's movement. I'd imagine this lack of movement could eventual wear on the gimbal's hdmi connector or the cable's connector at that termination. Or it could simply work the connection apart as in disconnect. In either case, poor connection resulting in rolling video, other video feed issues or even a mechanical failure of the fragile connection.

Reno's suggested solution is valid, but I think it is more when people muck with the hdmi connection at the main board. When they cut the tie-wrap and don't replace, as an example. I've never had an issue from that connection, as I secure the cable back as intended by 3DR.

If done properly, the hdmi cable can be placed around the gimbal and allow it to float unrestricted, letting the gimbal do it's job. Hopefully others will chime in as to what has worked for them. Search the forum, plenty of discussions and solutions offered up over the last year.

Reactions: SteveReno
I appreciate all of your responses. I am wondering where you got your hard foam to put behind the HDMI connection? Also, did you just pinch the connection with your finger or did you use a needle nose or similar? What about the HDMI connection at the gimbal; did you do anything for that one?

I plan to fix today and fly later.

Thanks again!
The hard foam from packing of the Solo is what i used.
After you have access to the HDMI port at the main board you can understand what comes next.

Theory here is that, you will find logical spot to place the foam between the cable & main board, This just puts little pressure on the cable, in turn puts pressure on the HDMI plug that fits into the HDMI socket.

And don't forget to slightly "pinch" Both HDMI receptacles, Main board & at Gimbal.
Don't use tools to pinch with, too easy too close socket. too much will ruin HDMI plug when inserted.
Just pinch with thumb & 4th finger until you feel/see it shut a little bit. You can test it by inserting plug & feel if there is a bit more tension.
Lot's of people had the exact same probelm & this fixed it.
I'm here to help.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
Personally I don't like the idea of the cable behind the post, but many swear by it...but then the same people post little confirming video from their results.

The gimbal is actually moving quite a bit during a normal flight, if installed properly it should move somewhat to absorb vibration. With the hdmi cable placed behind the post, it's restricting the gimbal's movement. I'd imagine this lack of movement could eventual wear on the gimbal's hdmi connector or the cable's connector at that termination. Or it could simply work the connection apart as in disconnect. In either case, poor connection resulting in rolling video, other video feed issues or even a mechanical failure of the fragile connection.

Reno's suggested solution is valid, but I think it is more when people muck with the hdmi connection at the main board. When they cut the tie-wrap and don't replace, as an example. I've never had an issue from that connection, as I secure the cable back as intended by 3DR.

If done properly, the hdmi cable can be placed around the gimbal and allow it to float unrestricted, letting the gimbal do it's job. Hopefully others will chime in as to what has worked for them. Search the forum, plenty of discussions and solutions offered up over the last year.
There is definitely a problem with these HDMI connectors.
Tried to bring this to everyone's attention just a little while ago, but no one understood.
We need a better solution, because 100's of people have video feed problems & for most of them, this fix is a solution.

It's the heaviness of the stock HDMI cable vibrating during flight relish3d cable totally solved all of my rolling problems

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc