My Solo Crashed today!

Reaction score
So I decided to go out at lunch today and fly since it was the first day in a long time when the wind was calm. I went to fly at an abandoned Grain Elevator and was getting some really cool shots with the selfie, orbit and cable cam. I will post that video later, about 15 mins. into the flight I received the below 25% low battery warning so I finished up the long cable cam shot and this happened.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Were you flying in a GPS dependent flight mode. I would imagine those silos would play havoc with GPS signal reception.

I was in GPS but had a solid lock on 10 sats the last time I looked. I thought about flipping it over to manual but it was a wide opening, short distance and there is clear view of the sky. Lesson learned, but I am not going to baby this thing. 3DR says fly it for 30 days risk free.

Is this like this...
It is one tough bird though! Had it been the DJI Phantom, it would have been in pieces.

Reactions: Shawn Sparks
Just got thru watching that one, after I posted my video. Looks like the same little twitch then blam. I think it has something to do with losing contact with the controller while in GPS mode. But not sure.

It looks and sounds like one of the propellers struck the silo. I didn't see any aberrant behavior beforehand, but it's difficult to tell from the video.

So I decided to go out at lunch today and fly since it was the first day in a long time when the wind was calm. I went to fly at an abandoned Grain Elevator and was getting some really cool shots with the selfie, orbit and cable cam. I will post that video later, about 15 mins. into the flight I received the below 25% low battery warning so I finished up the long cable cam shot and this happened.

Sorry about your Solo, but it looks like it's still pretty well intact. They seem to take a licking and keep on ticking. I'm sure there is lots of rebar and metal structure in those silos.

It looks and sounds like one of the propellers struck the silo. I didn't see any aberrant behavior beforehand, but it's difficult to tell from the video.
Nope, there is good 20-25 between the silos, and I am flying very gingerly between the middle of them so I have about 10 feet either side. If you notice the video swings from side to side then goes hard right. I never ever moved the stick left or right was just going forward the whole time.

Logs have been sent to 3DR, but got the old due to high volume expect us to get back with you in 3 or 4 days email.

Sorry about your Solo, but it looks like it's still pretty well intact. They seem to take a licking and keep on ticking. I'm sure there is lots of rebar and metal structure in those silos.
I agree, I am impressed with its durability. It suffered some minor cosmetic but for the most part it preformed like a "Timex".

Reactions: Raybro
Is this like this...
It is one tough bird though! Had it been the DJI Phantom, it would have been in pieces.
Pilot Error. From 3DR following a review of her logs..

At 3DR we try to learn something from every flight—the good, the bad and the ugly—which is exactly why we made it quick and easy to submit your flight logs through the Solo app. We got our hands on the logs from this flight as soon as we could and turned our flight analysis machines on the demo. Here’s what we learned: 1. We’re all human. The fight logs show that the crash was unambiguously a result of pilot error. There’s lots of data below for those of you who love a good flight log.2. Flying nose-in is tricky. Before the crash, Solo was executing “Selfie,” one of its automatic Smart Shots. In Selfie, Solo faces the pilot. This is called flying “nose in” and is the mirror-image orientation of typical flight. As a result, the stick controls become inverted: Your left is Solo’s right. (Exactly the same as “stage left” being the audience’s right.) When the Selfie was completed, the pilot appropriately put Solo back into “Fly” mode to regain manual control. Likely in an attempt to get a little farther away from the taco truck, the pilot applied a small amount of “right stick” (figure 1 in the log image below), but since Solo was “nose in” it simply went to its right instead of the pilot's right. Seeing Solo go what appeared to be the wrong way, the pilot applied “full right stick” to try and correct. Unfortunately Solo did exactly that and flew “right” into the taco truck. If you’re a beginner pilot, it’s always a good idea to fly Solo “tail in” as much as possible—which is exactly what Smart Shots allow you to do. So in general, right after a Selfie it’s a good idea to rotate the copter back around until the rear of the copter is facing you, and you and Solo are looking the same way.

At 3DR we try to learn something from every flight—the good, the bad and the ugly—which is exactly why we made it quick and easy to submit your flight logs through the Solo app. We got our hands on the logs from this flight as soon as we could and turned our flight analysis machines on the demo. Here’s what we learned: 1. We’re all human. The fight logs show that the crash was unambiguously a result of pilot error. There’s lots of data below for those of you who love a good flight log.2. Flying nose-in is tricky. Before the crash, Solo was executing “Selfie,” one of its automatic Smart Shots. In Selfie, Solo faces the pilot. This is called flying “nose in” and is the mirror-image orientation of typical flight. As a result, the stick controls become inverted: Your left is Solo’s right. (Exactly the same as “stage left” being the audience’s right.) When the Selfie was completed, the pilot appropriately put Solo back into “Fly” mode to regain manual control. Likely in an attempt to get a little farther away from the taco truck, the pilot applied a small amount of “right stick” (figure 1 in the log image below), but since Solo was “nose in” it simply went to its right instead of the pilot's right. Seeing Solo go what appeared to be the wrong way, the pilot applied “full right stick” to try and correct. Unfortunately Solo did exactly that and flew “right” into the taco truck. If you’re a beginner pilot, it’s always a good idea to fly Solo “tail in” as much as possible—which is exactly what Smart Shots allow you to do. So in general, right after a Selfie it’s a good idea to rotate the copter back around until the rear of the copter is facing you, and you and Solo are looking the same way.
Good info. I like turning my tail toward me when landing....just cause it's easier.

I called it...It looked like stick action...

I called it...It looked like stick action...
a case of Dumb thumbs.have any of you people flown fixed wing rc planes before?
when ever you land one of theese it is always faceing toward you on landing and away from you on take off.

I have been practicing indoors with my little Hubsan H107L which is extremely quick and responsive. Flying tail out is intuitive, flying Tail in or sideways is a totally different challenge and it's very easy to loose control. After 2 months of flying "tail out" in tight spaces I still have crashes when things are happening fast, especially when you go "right stick and it moves in a different direction than what you expect. Typically the next move is to move the opposite direction,,,and over compensate,,which makes matters worse,,,and then,,,,

Yea hopefully this update fixes the gps issue I had a similar issue actually a couple times where I have woods to the right and ahead of it and my neighbors place a ways to the left. It's a large opening with a clear view of the sky and thankfully I've saved it, by kinda playing tug of war with it, but it veers left hard and I've had to push right as well as bring it toward me. I even released a sec the second time since I wasn't as freaked out, kinda prepared for it this time and it kept trying to veer. First was a close call but beside that I love it. Feels and obviously seeing this vid is sturdy and very well built compared to others.

Yea hopefully this update fixes the gps issue I had a similar issue actually a couple times where I have woods to the right and ahead of it and my neighbors place a ways to the left. It's a large opening with a clear view of the sky and thankfully I've saved it, by kinda playing tug of war with it, but it veers left hard and I've had to push right as well as bring it toward me. I even released a sec the second time since I wasn't as freaked out, kinda prepared for it this time and it kept trying to veer. First was a close call but beside that I love it. Feels and obviously seeing this vid is sturdy and very well built compared to others.
I think this is the main issue addressed in the update. Hope it works out. Put stabilize on A or B, it's a more secure recovery in that situation than pause is. I do most of my flying in stabilize anyway. No Issues..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela