My macbook air just doesn't cut it. Making the switch

Reaction score
Website
www.nimbusvids.com
Ever since buying the drone my Macbook Air went from "very expensive email viewer" to "piece of shit movie maker" :D

Even at 1080p 60fps it gives me a hard time using resolve, GP Studio. So I say.. "I want to be a real boy!"

I built this PC on pcpartpicker and I've tried going as low as I can go, bare bones, but I guess I just have expensive taste. Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 960 4GB, Solo-T1-R ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

I can't get my machine to ship for less than $900. If I'm just making 1-2 Min 2.7k videos do I really need:

i5?
GTX 960 4G?

I even starting pulling back on the cooling system and power supply since I just don't need that much.

You're welcome to pick apart my pcpartpicker list piece by piece and give it to me straight. I just want to fly, make cool videos with better than joe schmo quality but not quite Hollywood. :cool:

Hi Nimbus,

So I swore I'd never give this answer again but here goes: Don't go for the minimum system you can get away with for what you want to do right now.

Whenever I bought something that would get me by for now I ended up buying the same thing, only better within a year. When it comes to computers I typically look at the biggest, baddest thing I could get and then take it down a notch.

There are plenty of people on this board who can give you excellent advice on the components. I should also say that there are plenty of people who are in the "buy only what you need now" camp, and they have some good arguments.

My advice is to take a had look at yourself and your buying history. More importantly do you think that you'll be happy just making 1 or 2 minute videos without much editing for the next few years?

Good luck,

Well, when you put it that way...

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Thankfully my purchase history has been aligned with what you said. I normally don't have to upgrade every year. I'm actually very happy with all of my equipment. I've made good decisions so far, but this one took a lot of thought.

And hey.. Rice and beans for a month never killed anyone.

Reactions: Benzo and Ed Beck
I agree that Macbook Airs, and for that matter all Apple computers are overpriced pieces of crap. This from a guy who has easily spent $100,000 on MacPro's, Bacbooks, Macbook Pro's, Software, Mac minis, Apple TV's etc.

If you want to toss your money in the trash can, buy Apple now. Once, say 1999-2008, they were great. Now they make cel phones, and larger cel phones called iPads. Oh, and smaller celphones called watches. THEY DON'T MAKE F'N COMPUTERS.

I recently purchased a Dell. Here is the link. Well under your price, big performance: Inspiron 15 Gaming | Dell Canada

I saw base models of this at $800US. a month a go. The link above is to Dell Canada, couldn't get it to go to US store..

Buy the i7 - 6700, Nvidia 4GB card, etc. I think it is model 7559

Reactions: Nimbus Ninja

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo