My first solo is being shipped to me now. Any advice for first flight?

Reaction score
My first solo is on its way to me now. I bought the solo an extra battery and the gimbal. I want to get really good at flying it and I know that takes practice but any tips for my first flight? Anything I should watch out for... (Besides people and trees [emoji23] )

Always perform both calibrations with every flight of the day.
Charge your batteries to 100% before flying
Never fly with an HDOP higher than 2.7

READ THE FAA RULES FOR SAUS

And lastly.... enjoy, have fun, and love every minute of it.

Reactions: JordanKyle
Charge your batteries to 100% before flying
Never fly with an HDOP higher than 2.7

READ THE FAA RULES FOR SAUS

And lastly.... enjoy, have fun, and love every minute of it.
What does HDOP mean? What will it do to the drone

Yes. Download and study the manual and the FAA hobbyist guidelines. Make sure you know when and where it's safe to fly, how FLY and FLY MANUAL work. Start off in as big and wide open field or space as you can and build your confidence and skill before testing limits. Be aware of federal, state and local laws. The latter may vary considerably from state to state. Fly safe and have fun!

Where did you read such advice?? That is not true at all. In fact, that would be a really bad thing to do. It will cause problems and solve nothing. Calibration should be done once, correctly, and that's it. If it needs to be done again, which is rarely, it will tell you. Do not recalibrate every day.

I mean, I've posted on another thread on this forum with an actual screenshot of a 3DR rep saying to do so

I've been doing it everyday since then and have never had another issue.

I find that extremely hard to believe. It's more likely you misunderstood the 3dr rep. In the unlikely event 3dr verbatim told you that, they are stupidly wrong and should never have suggested such craziness. Post the screen shot. That's crazy.

I said to read the thread before posting a reply that is totally wrong. Not read the entire forum in search of a specific post. Not even a remotely skid comparison. So no, I'm not going to go searching for false information.

Either you misunderstood it, or 3DR horribly screwed up their communication with you. Either way, calibrating every day is not necessary, recommended, or even a remotely good idea. Do not do that.

Reactions: Acroduster
Nope. I read it clear as day "it is suggested that you perform BOTH calibrations before the first flight of each day"

Now tell me, why is it that Everytime I turn my solo on it wants me to perform a level calibration before I can even begin to start up the motors?
Must be something wrong with my solo..

Granted you don't have really have to do a compass calibration but I still do it mostly because my solo gets stored standing on it's side (in the box) when I'm not using it so it's not killing me on space.
So that's why I do BOTH calibrations before I fly each day.

Oh wait. Just realized, it was sent in an email.
Grabbing screenshot now

Now tell me, why is it that Everytime I turn my solo on it wants me to perform a level calibration before I can even begin to start up the motors?
Must be something wrong with my solo..
Yes actually that is absolutely 100% something wrong with your solo. That is not normal or correct. The advice given to you by customer service regarding calibration is simply wrong. And if your solo requires it daily, the solo is malfunctioning.

Reactions: jimloss
I have one solo that I've flown over a year now and have never did a cal. check. I think you need to do a "spank the baby" to free up your pixhawk.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Someone at 3DR is probably just trying to close your ticket.
The PH will save the calibration data in non volatile memory and verify it is valid before launch.

My first solo is on its way to me now. I bought the solo an extra battery and the gimbal. I want to get really good at flying it and I know that takes practice but any tips for my first flight? Anything I should watch out for... (Besides people and trees [emoji23] )
Practice flying often! Make sure you set one of your buttons to "manual" mode, this will be useful should you ever lose GPS signal. Also make sure you obtain a proper GPS lock before taking off. Try downloading SOLEX and using that, it's awesome. Make sure you read the manual! There's lots of useful tips in there. Take it slow! Get the feel for flying and get comfortable with your bird. Post pics and video!

First flight... do both calibrations. Fly from an open field. Make sure your HDOP (Horizontal Dilution Of Precision) is under 2.7, fully charge your batteries, configure your return to home altitude to at least 100 feet. Don't fly indoors, don't fly near a highway, don't fly under a bridge.. common sense stuff.

First flight... do both calibrations. Fly from an open field. Make sure your HDOP (Horizontal Dilution Of Precision) is under 2.7, fully charge your batteries, configure your return to home altitude to at least 100 feet. Don't fly indoors, don't fly near a highway, don't fly under a bridge.. common sense stuff.
& Read Manual: BEFORE 1st FLIGHT & ("OFTEN" thereafter !)

Yes enjoy it because you really don't have to work this one like the toy grades just to keep it in the air... it is very much night and day compared to the brushed non altitude hold quads. Never forget the feeling of your first flight with the solo. Get someone to video it. Good choice. Welcome to the 3dr pilots forum.

Yep.. It's a very stable drone. Just fly in an open area. Check out the AMA site..join if there is a qudcopter friendly club in your area. If you join you will have access to more locations to fly from.
Also with your membership you will get flight insurance. As long as you are in compliance with all the current rules and regulations and if by chance there is some accident... you are covered.

View media item 650View media item 628

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo