My first Solo gimbal video

Reaction score
It was sad news for me today, my gimbal arrived DOA (that'll get sorted I'm sure) though my mate let me use his for now, so I was still able to do my first test today.

Due to lack of time, we had to chose a random location...!

The wind was generally mild but was gusting ever so often fairly heavily, it's hard to guess how much, but it seemed to give the Solo a slight battering which then fed into the video occasionally, given I'd bought ProDrenalin, I figured it would be a perfect opportunity to test it, I think it does the job of getting rid of minor vibration just fine, but judge yourselves.

This was a 4.4mm lens, with an ND4 on, I balanced the extra weight with a 20p piece!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was sad news for me today, my gimbal arrived DOA (that'll get sorted I'm sure) though my mate let me use his for now, so I was still able to do my first test today.

The wind was generally mild but was gusting ever so often fairly heavily, it's hard to guess how much, but it seemed to give the Solo a slight battering which then fed into the video occasionally, given I'd bought ProDrenalin, I figured it would be a perfect opportunity to test it, I think it does the job of getting rid of minor vibration just fine, but judge yourselves.

This was a 4.4mm lens, with an ND4 on, I balanced the extra weight with a 20p piece!

Looks Great! Might add a hood or circular polarizer to minimize the sun effects. Just for reference: What resolution and frame rate etc. were you using?

Looks Great! Might add a hood or circular polarizer to minimize the sun effects. Just for reference: What resolution and frame rate etc. were you using?
The downside of the replacement 3rd party lenses is they all flare bad anyway, there's an ND4 filter on that video. This was recorded in 2.7k at 50FPS (I'm in the UK so we use PAL frame rates), I exported in 1080p as YouTube prefers that if you're using higher frame rates.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
The downside of the replacement 3rd party lenses is they all flare bad anyway, there's an ND4 filter on that video. This was recorded in 2.7k at 50FPS (I'm in the UK so we use PAL frame rates), I exported in 1080p as YouTube prefers that if you're using higher frame rates.
Well Don Ian. Like the music and timing. I noticed my 4.35 flares a little as well. Even with an ND8 on it. Absolutely love the views in your area. Very Nice..

I see dead people ;)

I liked the speed change to the best.
Your gimbal really was DOA? Bummer!
Any one got some ProDrenalin for a poor soleo? LOL

Yes, a pulsating red light just comes on for the DOA gimbal. To save money on shipping myself and a friend had our gimbals in the same box, he's got an Inspire already so he was cool with me using the working gimbal.

The gimbal install was a bit of a headache, I took the battery bay off and spent a fair bit of time trying to prevent wires being anywhere near the gimbal dampeners.

Lately, Most video being shot at cemeteries, hope this isn't a precursor from FAA LOL. I mean, I been getting lot's of dirty looks & complaints from people in places that were fun to go take some video at, Boat docks, Beaches.... At lease the DEAD can't complain, But i would leave before dark....... Just in case they do!

The downside of the replacement 3rd party lenses is they all flare bad anyway, there's an ND4 filter on that video.
Don't get me wrong. The video is great. Nothing wrong with it. You "might" try a circular polarizer, for the flaring though in addition to the ND (assuming you can stack your filters). polarizer closest to camera. Cut light first, then polarize :) It has worked well for me on the lense artifacts. :

Reactions: Ian [P13]
TBH the flaring doesn't really bother me, only prop shadow would ever bug me, generally with the GoPro it just seems best to avoid pointing it direct at the sun.

In my posted video, I was actually pointing almost right at the sun some of the time. Bad situation, but it was what it was and I couldn't help it at the time. I had an ND8 and a CP, and cropped the sun out of one of the top of boat shots. I could have added Gama but was lazy and it came out OK :)

Here is a 2.7k version, that I've processed through Mercalli (it's ProDRENALIN's big brother), I've upped the sharpness about 25%.

YouTube won't allow me to upload a 50FPS 2.7K video which is a shame, so I've had to drop this to 25FPS, so it won't look as smooth as the original.

Some browsers (Chrome for me) struggle playing 2K smooth, so also check in Firefox, IE or something else.

Reactions: Jubalr
Here is a 2.7k version, that I've processed through Mercalli (it's ProDRENALIN's big brother), I've upped the sharpness about 25%.

YouTube won't allow me to upload a 50FPS 2.7K video which is a shame, so I've had to drop this to 25FPS, so it won't look as smooth as the original.

Some browsers (Chrome for me) struggle playing 2K smooth, so also check in Firefox, IE or something else.

Very smooth for me Ian. Using Chrome, but on a high powered PC. Looked great..

Mine's very high powered too LOL, I'm throwing 12 Xeon cores and 64GB of RAM at this baby must be a codec issue or some such for me.

Mine's very high powered too LOL, I'm throwing 12 Xeon cores and 64GB of RAM at this baby must be a codec issue or some such for me.
I think you are probably right about that. There are many codecs and decoders available so could be the variable between us. 12 Xeon cores and 64gb? :eek: I guess I misspoke, I THOUGHT I had a high powered PC!! I am humbled now.

Here is a side by side, which is really interesting, it shows the Solo's motion itself was smooth as the software has had to only do minor corrections, once an analysis has been done of the GoPro's rolling shutter and artefacts removed from that the video already looks good.

For those interested this is a side by side of Mercalli versus ProDRENALIN.

Mercalli takes a lot more time to process (potentially hours over minutes), costs a lot more, but does output a better result, which if you're working commercially might make a difference for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc