My first long distance flight!

Reaction score
Today I flew the solo for its longest flight ever and it was a joy to watch everything live. When I first got the solo I was getting about 600 ft with the stock antennas then I would lose signal and the RTH would kick in. 4 weeks ago I purchased the FPVLR extended range antenna and got a little over 1500 feet before I lost signal and the RTH would kick in. During all those flights I was always line of sight but I was still a little nervous watching a $2000.00 investment fly that far out of reach. I live in an extremely high WIFI area and always wondered if the RTH would kick in and bring it home.

Just recently I purchased, from Drone Evolutions, the 2 amps, battery, bracket and all the bells and whistles that came with it. I must say this before I go any further, Jake Jones from Drone Evolutions is a pleasure to deal with. He is serious about his products and takes what ever time is needed to help a customer and believe me I needed a lot of help. His customer service is absolutely the best. Anyway, I put everything together today and threw caution to the wind......(and the Solo). Before I lost signal, the Solo travelled 4931 ft. It was an unbelievable feeling to watch the live feed. This thing was almost a mile out and completely out of sight. Pretty cool seeing your neighborhood from a birds eye view.

I know all of this may seem a little boring to most but I am a complete novice to the RC world so it was truly a big deal for me. I look forward to traveling with the Solo and seeing things from a completely different perspective.

Distance flying is addicting and you can seriously get bitten by the bug. My first mile was the scariest thing I've ever done but 4 miles latter I can tell you that I can't wait for a battery mod to fo farther.

Today I flew the solo for its longest flight ever and it was a joy to watch everything live. When I first got the solo I was getting about 600 ft with the stock antennas then I would lose signal and the RTH would kick in. 4 weeks ago I purchased the FPVLR extended range antenna and got a little over 1500 feet before I lost signal and the RTH would kick in. During all those flights I was always line of sight but I was still a little nervous watching a $2000.00 investment fly that far out of reach. I live in an extremely high WIFI area and always wondered if the RTH would kick in and bring it home.

Just recently I purchased, from Drone Evolutions, the 2 amps, battery, bracket and all the bells and whistles that came with it. I must say this before I go any further, Jake Jones from Drone Evolutions is a pleasure to deal with. He is serious about his products and takes what ever time is needed to help a customer and believe me I needed a lot of help. His customer service is absolutely the best. Anyway, I put everything together today and threw caution to the wind......(and the Solo). Before I lost signal, the Solo travelled 4931 ft. It was an unbelievable feeling to watch the live feed. This thing was almost a mile out and completely out of sight. Pretty cool seeing your neighborhood from a birds eye view.

I know all of this may seem a little boring to most but I am a complete novice to the RC world so it was truly a big deal for me. I look forward to traveling with the Solo and seeing things from a completely different perspective.

Are you behind a tree line? I have his setup and I'm getting closer to 12000 feet before coming back because of the battery.

DJI drones are the best ones for long flights,but they are also the most expensive ones.Read 10 best drones with long flight time here : Top 10 drones with long flight time sorted by budget - DG
Sites like this are not designed to be informative and are created as landing/lead generation only (likely the reason you posted it). They paste information from other sites and manufacturers marketing and are not checked for accuracy. For instance. regarding the Solo: "The solo is compact, small, catches video/photo while running on a single AA battery."

what are you guys flying in, You are getting 1500 feet with FPVLR
Mine is stock and I get 2000 in a neighborhood.
You might want to call support

I've done 2 flights. One with the FPVLR and one without. 1,000 feet was my limit. Now I was over some leafless trees, but I wouldn't think that would block my signal.

Comments?

There could be a couple of reasons. You may have been flying in a high WiFi area which could affect signal. Also, the FPVLR antennas need to be pointed in the direction of Solo to be most effective. Either of these could weaken the signal enough to where the signal was affected by the trees. Hope this helps.

I was flying near some apartments that I know every suite has WiFi, so you are mostly likely correct.

Thx

Distance flying is addicting and you can seriously get bitten by the bug. My first mile was the scariest thing I've ever done but 4 miles latter I can tell you that I can't wait for a battery mod to fo farther.

I'm going to step on some toes but someone has to say it:

It is people like you who are going to completely ruin it for everyone else who is doing the right thing and keeping to the rules.

Yeah rules are meant to be broken or stretched a little but flying miles out of line-of-sight is reckless and dangerous behaviour.

How can you possibly yield to manned aircraft who happen to fly into your area?

How can you possibly find a safe place to land if you lose video feed or control of your gimbal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44