mRo M8N Installation best practice

Yes. It is very good. The small size piece is perfect for a Solo and is about $15. I have a Solo with the V2 3DR stuff and mRo GPS and get around 18 - 20. But on this Solo with the mRo EMI shield I got 25 - 28 on the first flight.

Yes. It is very good. The small size piece is perfect for a Solo and is about $15. I have a Solo with the V2 3DR stuff and mRo GPS and get around 18 - 20. But on this Solo with the mRo EMI shield I got 25 - 28 on the first flight.
Damn it now you tell me. LOL Seriously? I have two solos so I would have to order how much?
We are talking about this stuff right? mRo Super EMI Absorber/Shield

Reactions: FinniKris
Damn it now you tell me. LOL Seriously? I have two solos so I would have to order how much?
We are talking about this stuff right? mRo Super EMI Absorber/Shield
Here is the proof. This is a Solo with mRo GPS plus original copper shield andScreenshot (49).png the mRo EMI shield in between them. Do the math to figure how big of a piece you need. The small piece is pretty much intended for the Solo. At the 13 - 16 minute mark I had the Solo upside down adjusting a camera. It was the first time this GPS was powered up

Here is the proof. This is a Solo with mRo GPS plus original copper shield andView attachment 6413 the mRo EMI shield in between them. Do the math to figure how big of a piece you need. The small piece is pretty much intended for the Solo. At the 13 - 16 minute mark I had the Solo upside down adjusting a camera. It was the first time this GPS was powered up
You didnt use the copper and mRo shielding material too.
Both?

I decided I'd give the mRo GPS a go. I should get it this week. I have the V2 GPS shield from 3DR and honestly it didn't make much difference for me. Perhaps my copper was fine the whole time and wasn't touching anything. Not sure what rev GPS I have but I will take a peek when I install the new one.

But the material is not available except Ebay at an exaggerated cost.
The V2 shield material may be more expensive, but is a very good quality and tests well among users here. The choice is yours man.

Reactions: Larry16
Oh wow. That is something I have not come across, I thought maybe I was misunderstanding you.
Often the 3M product is enough for your to experience a significant upgrade. Using both has been recommended on the forums for some time now.

Thanks for the detailed info in the post David. Interesting stuff there.

Just installed the mRo GPS and launched from my usual spot in the back yard where I usuallu get 9 satellites tops and I'm blown away. I have lots of trees around too. It got 20 sats with an hdop 0.4 in like a minute. . I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Install was a snap and I reused the V2 GPS shield and I'm totally amazed. Its like getting solo for the first time. This will certainly raise my confidence levels. Now I'll start worrying about motors failing:)

Hi David,

Where did you install the 3m EM shield? Between the underside of the GPS module and the original shield? Did you adhere the 3m EM shield to the GPS?

Thanks,
Yes between the two. First install of the 3M shield I stuck it to the GPS. Second one I did I left the backing on it and just used the screws to hold it in place

I double shield (3DR V2 on GPS, 3DR Copper on V2) my 3DR RevA GPS boards and I consistently get 10+ sat and HDOP below 1.0 when surveying. I'm quite sold on the V2 shield, and stacking them seems to have done no ill. I wonder if the 3D-printed spacer in conjunction with the two 3DR shields would yield any further improvements.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig