mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N upgrade- SoloFar SoloGood!

Reaction score
18 satellites in less than two minutes......INSIDE THE HOUSE! Compared to my 3dRRevB struggling to pick up 6 in 10min. Then losing a couple every minute or so. You know the routine.

Potentially the best $50 Ive spent on the BlackBeauty.

Only had time for a brief hover as darkness descended quickly being NewMoon.
Out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean it gets extra DARK when la Luna is hiding her face.
Hover was mostly stable in Loiter. Side Pilot was reporting a GPS Glitch and then a FIX within seconds during pre-arm check. It happened twice so it is definitely something to look into. I done like glitches. HOVER seemed to be losing altitude and at one point set down completely on its own - then back to hover- twice ! And likely would have continued to had i not given her a little extra juice and a higher altitude hover. This i believe is Arducopters doing not the GPS.

Normally i love flying after dark , but as im also testing Arducopter 3.5 on 5v modified stock cube
So i wIll stick to daylight hours for test flights.

Will report back with more later.

I bought the Green Cube and love it. Now I have the leftover stock cube. How the heck did you modify the stock cube for 5v? I'v looked at instructions for the process and examined my stock cube. Without special surface mount soldering and desoldering tools it didn't look like a kitchen table job.

18 satellites in less than two minutes......INSIDE THE HOUSE! Compared to my 3dRRevB struggling to pick up 6 in 10min. Then losing a couple every minute or so. You know the routine.

Potentially the best $50 Ive spent on the BlackBeauty.

Only had time for a brief hover as darkness descended quickly being NewMoon.
Out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean it gets extra DARK when la Luna is hiding her face.
Hover was mostly stable in Loiter. Side Pilot was reporting a GPS Glitch and then a FIX within seconds during pre-arm check. It happened twice so it is definitely something to look into. I done like glitches. HOVER seemed to be losing altitude and at one point set down completely on its own - then back to hover- twice ! And likely would have continued to had i not given her a little extra juice and a higher altitude hover. This i believe is Arducopters doing not the GPS.

Normally i love flying after dark , but as im also testing Arducopter 3.5 on 5v modified stock cube
So i wIll stick to daylight hours for test flights.

Will report back with more later.

Quick Question:
I have had my solo flying Stock for the last two years and haven't had too much trouble with my solo buy like you said it takes a long time to load up sats and not that many either. May I ask which did you go with for the upgrade? Would sure love to have more Satelites connecting quicker!
Thanks for taking the time! If there is a link available to them that would be helpful also.
Dave (flyrite)

Quick Question:
I have had my solo flying Stock for the last two years and haven't had too much trouble with my solo buy like you said it takes a long time to load up sats and not that many either. May I ask which did you go with for the upgrade? Would sure love to have more Satelites connecting quicker!
Thanks for taking the time! If there is a link available to them that would be helpful also.
Dave (flyrite)
mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade (New) or
HERE GPS, HERE GNSS-Original Solo GPS Kit

Reactions: Michael Lione
mRo is an easy plug-n-play be sure to include the version 2 shield in the upgrade.
HERE has better specs (at least by many accounts) but requires a little surgery and a parameter update to engage it's front and center on board compass. Lots of vids that show you the way.

Thank you very much! Just ordered the mRo and looking forward to doing the upgrade.

Thank you very much! Just ordered the mRo and looking forward to doing the upgrade.
I just got my mRo in. I tell you. What a difference. 25 Sat within seconds of sat search. Amazing. The solo hovered like it was dangling from a wire with very little drift.

To my surprise when I did the install my solo had a Rev B GPS in the solo already.

Best of luck !!!

I just upgraded my Solo with the mRo gps unit and went out to test it.
With the Solo Rev A it would take about 90 sec to lock in and maximum sats under best of conditions was 9. After installing the mRo unit, I went outside (heavy cloud cover-scattered thunderstorms tonight) and it locked in 35 seconds, and within 50 seconds I had 17 sats. I am already impressed! Can't wait for some good weather and see what it does but I am sure I will be totally pleased with the results.
Like someone else has said on the forum - likely the best $50 I will have spent on my Solo!
Thanks for information and links.

Reactions: Dartmango
It's kick ass. For sure . I'm wondering if I should throw a green cube in my main solo as well but I don't really see the too much advantage yet .

Finally go my bird up in the sky last week on a beautiful clear blue sky.
To less than 30 seconds to lock on to satellites. By 50 seconds I had 23 sats!
I am VERY impressed and as I said above.... best $50 dollars I have ever spent on Solo.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo