Mounting 2nd camera to Accessory Bay

Reaction score
Hi All - I have tried mounting a 2nd camera (S100) to my accessory bay. After a few flights I noticed a few cracks developing around the mounting holes. Would this likely be caused from vibration? Should I have been using dampeners?

I am trying to mount the S100 in combination with my gimbal. Has anyone tried the IMP mounts?

Canon S100, S110, S120, SX260, ELPH 110IS, 130IS, 180, 320HS & 330HS Fixed Mapping 3DP Mount & Adapter for 3DR Iris, Solo & X8, (Please Select Options From PullDown)

Thanks

Hi All - I have tried mounting a 2nd camera (S100) to my accessory bay. After a few flights I noticed a few cracks developing around the mounting holes. Would this likely be caused from vibration? Should I have been using dampeners?

I am trying to mount the S100 in combination with my gimbal. Has anyone tried the IMP mounts?

Canon S100, S110, S120, SX260, ELPH 110IS, 130IS, 180, 320HS & 330HS Fixed Mapping 3DP Mount & Adapter for 3DR Iris, Solo & X8, (Please Select Options From PullDown)

Thanks
Went to the link you provided and found this posted-

The unit is designed for Generic Dampeners that are available from a variety of sources.

So I would say that the mount was designed to be used with dampers. You might have stressed the body by not using them and also you might have tightened the screws down too much without the damper balls.

Using damping balls is recommended to minimize the movement of your camera during flight.

Post some pictures of the cracks so someone can tell you more.

Went to the link you provided and found this posted-

The unit is designed for Generic Dampeners that are available from a variety of sources.

So I would say that the mount was designed to be used with dampers. You might have stressed the body by not using them and also you might have tightened the screws down too much without the damper balls.

Using damping balls is recommended to minimize the movement of your camera during flight.

Post some pictures of the cracks so someone can tell you more.
Here is a pic. I think it is just the body that is cracked. I am thinking it has to do with that extruded area between the mounting holes. I printed a flat piece and secured it down with bolts to the frame. That extrusion may have caused some extra stress in that area?

Attachments

• 2018-05-20_2133.png
    2018-05-20_2133.png
    721.5 KB · Views: 31
Here is a pic. I think it is just the body that is cracked. I am thinking it has to do with that extruded area between the mounting holes. I printed a flat piece and secured it down with bolts to the frame. That extrusion may have caused some extra stress in that area?

That is really cracked. I think that without the damping balls the force was concentrated and well above what the attachment points can take. Kind of like a jack hammer pounding against each mounting hole, way too much dynamic force.

You might want to take a look at what is happening inside the body. I would replace the body because the forces of flight will possibility cause more cracking and maybe failure in that area.

That is really cracked. I think that without the damping balls the force was concentrated and well above what the attachment points can take. Kind of like a jack hammer pounding against each mounting hole, way too much dynamic force.

You might want to take a look at what is happening inside the body. I would replace the body because the forces of flight will possibility cause more cracking and maybe failure in that area.
Kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping if the mount was tight enough to the body that it would have caused less damage. The cracks were showing after 2 flights. I have since removed it and only using the 3dr gimbal (no accessory bay). Frustrating for now. Don't really want to buy a new body for this thing. Maybe some epoxy or tape would be ok just to prevent any further cracking?

Kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping if the mount was tight enough to the body that it would have caused less damage. The cracks were showing after 2 flights. I have since removed it and only using the 3dr gimbal (no accessory bay). Frustrating for now. Don't really want to buy a new body for this thing. Maybe some epoxy or tape would be ok just to prevent any further cracking?

Sounds like you got a little carried away with the tightening to me. Too much torquing is worse than too little.

Well if you can find a piece of plastic to act as a brace and a solvent (not just glue) that would weld the body to the plastic bracing piece that would be best. In other words the brace and the body would become one.

Do not crash the Solo with these cracks, they might well spread and the body might break.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc