Modifying gimbal to fit FLIR vue pro

Reaction score
So I recently had a client go through several FLIR cameras for a remote monitoring project. As a result, I was able to get a crazy deal on a FLIR vue pro.

I now have an irresistible urge to stick this thing on my solo.

So far, I have all of the electronics working- fpv video via hdmi module, power from gimbal power, and geotagging via mavlink (almost, can’t fly it yet to test really).

What I need some help with is physically attaching the vue to the GoPro mount. I am currently considering removing the tilt pcb housing completely and fabricating a new one, allowing me to position everything how I need. Problem is, I don’t really know much about gimbals/imu’s/drones on a mechanical level.

I’d like to move the tilt pcb out of the way so I can get the vue’s center of gravity in the right spot, but I’m assuming it needs to keep its current orientation. That leaves very little room to fit the vue in place without adding a lot of counterweights.

Does anyone have any advice for me on this? I’m not afraid of getting elbows deep in this thing to make it work.

It’s funny because I also have a zenmuse x15 gimbal, which would hold the vue just fine, but I don’t have a drone for it!

Reactions: Wetstone
The linked thread below is discussing modifying a stock gimbal to accept the latest GP. If the conversation develops further to replace the housing, it may offer answers to your questions.

I think moving the "tilt" board maybe problematic due to limited/no access to the gimbal's config settings. Maybe Mission Planner would work, not sure...

As well there is a gimbal solution for the Flir, a little pricey but a solution designed for Solo. Search the forum, there are a few threads on the subject of Flir.

https://3drpilots.com/threads/gopro-hero-5-6-7-and-the-solo-gimbal.14827/

Reactions: Joe Ferguson
The dedicated vue gimbal would literally triple the price of this project. I got the drone + gimbal NIB for 200, and the imager for a fifth of retail.

I disassembled GoPro mount completely and freed the tilt pcb. There may actually be enough room for the vue if I just move it backwards, but I’ll still need a lot of counterweight. Otherwise I think I can actually mount it on the other side of the tilt motor, keeping the same orientation. I can then balance the two off each other without adding any weight at all!

Edit: video of vue pro hard mounted to my drone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
There is a company named OEM Cameras that sells a 3 axis gimbal designed just for the Flir Vue Pro series. Cost you around $1500. Operates just like the Solo Gimbal......

There was something called an Action Camera Interface (ACI) that came in the box with mine. Makes mounting to static Go pro mount easy.

Can you show some pictures of the FLIR mounted with the ACI? Can the camera point straight down with this adapter?

There is a company named OEM Cameras that sells a 3 axis gimbal designed just for the Flir Vue Pro series. Cost you around $1500. Operates just like the Solo Gimbal......

Yes, I saw that one. Instead of integrating the vue to gopro mount, I think I will integrate a tarot vue gimbal with the solo. Seems like that has been done before and is pretty simple.

Can you show some pictures of the FLIR mounted with the ACI? Can the camera point straight down with this adapter?
Here are a couple of files that should help. If you have the Solo static GOPro mount, you can attach the ACI to the solo mount. I have similar setup in the photo using a 3D printed mount for the Solo accessory bay. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20181114_080437~2.jpg
    20181114_080437~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • FLIR Static Mount.jpg
    FLIR Static Mount.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 39

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members