Maximum Temperature?

Not that it's super hot here, but it's 100 f or more occasionally and regardless of air temp I've yet to temp gun my motors or battery anywhere near an unsafe level for a brushless motor or pack. Mine stays under 110 most all the time, but I've seen other mention heat issues.

Am I just a lucky one or are others getting temp warm enough to cause concern?

I know surface brushless motors are fine up to and above 150 are these similar enough to be in the same range for being safe. Or since these cases spin instead are these going to be a totally different animal?

Never been inside a Solo motor as of yet so maybe someone else can comment but most adhesives used in motors start to melt around 150F.

I am also a big proponent of Boca Bearings. Rather than replace the motor pod I would always rebuild it with better bearings. Lots of great info like this on Boca's web site about high heat issues.

Keep Your Brushless Motor Temps Down To Keep Your Speed Up!

Never been inside a Solo motor as of yet so maybe someone else can comment but most adhesives used in motors start to melt around 150F.

I am also a big proponent of Boca Bearings. Rather than replace the motor pod I would always rebuild it with better bearings. Lots of great info like this on Boca's web site about high heat issues.

Keep Your Brushless Motor Temps Down To Keep Your Speed Up!

I've seen my veleneon and castle motors temp over 150 without issue plenty of times, most surface folks recommend in the 160s. When racing you'd lose if your not running your motor to its potential and gearing it right. In high grass or just trying to squeeze out a win 150s nothing. Granted their bigger and could be heavier duty, but they don't thermal out until 180 or better, above 200 and it'll affect your magnets. Kinda like a dummy light for oil at that point, but this is also on bocas so they can handle it. Could be these aerial motors are different, but brushless motors are fairly similar. Not that this matters on solo since mine stays below 110 and I'm not trying to gain speed or worry about gearing ratio that comes in play in surface more.

Boca does make great bearings for sure and I'll prolly swap solos this season even if they don't really need it. All you've mentioned could be right in aerial motors though, I've only been into these a couple years now and mostly rtf kits so far.

I'm in Florida, temps have been 97 here for weeks as in a lot of the country. This morning I flew and put a laser thermometer on the motors after a 5 minute flight at 85 degree air temp. The motors were all ~100-120 degrees F (one was a little hotter than the others) on a brand new bird flight 2. Anyone else measure motor temps? What is normal range of these 3DR motor temps?

I'm in Florida, temps have been 97 here for weeks as in a lot of the country. This morning I flew and put a laser thermometer on the motors after a 5 minute flight at 85 degree air temp. The motors were all ~100-120 degrees F (one was a little hotter than the others) on a brand new bird flight 2. Anyone else measure motor temps? What is normal range of these 3DR motor temps?
I'm in SW Florida. Yesterday, late afternoon, launching and flying about 12 minutes in the sun in 90* temperature, the temp of all my motors (4) on 2 Solos was 110*-121*.

Reactions: Freebird32
Thanks for the quick reply. I assumed they were in-range, but without a formal spec or others who have measured it is just a guess. I bought my first solo in July of 2015 and got aggravated waiting out in the 80-95 degree bright sun for the GPS to get a lock (5-10 minutes on occasion). This latest bird locks up pretty quick so I'm not sitting in the sun heat-soaking like before. Never liked the black color with regards to heat in this location.
I just tested a pair of Alpha panel antennas and was disappointed that they didn't give me any discernible range increase over stock antennas. I have FPVLR antennas on my first Solo and it gets 5 bars/lower RSSI in the same (and further distances) that I was only getting 2 bars with stock and Alpha antennas. I think I'm going to get another set of the FPVLR spherical antennas for my new bird.

My 2nd Solo without GPS shield or cardboard took a long time to lock - in the hot sun as you mentioned. I think the black is easier to see in the bright skies around here, than a Phantom-white would be.

I have Alphas on one controller, stock on the other, but haven't pushed the range on either.

I installed the new EMI shield from 3DR on my first solo, it helps with GPS time. I have contemplated painting the upper surface white or getting a white vinyl graphic to install and leaving the bottom black. I agree it is easier to see but the top wouldn't matter. I've got a Phantom 3 Pro and it does disappear if you take your eyes off of it. I get much better 4K video from the P3 and the range is better. It isn't as steady as the 3DR with regards to holding position. I get a bit of jello when I try to shoot 4k video with the Solo. GoPro only goes to 30fps/wide so it is prone to shake/vibration/jello from props/gimbal cable/etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks