Manual Mode in Shopping Mall

Reaction score
Don't worry, the mall was abandoned. I had a friend working on a small construction project get me in to do some test flights indoors for practice. I have not flown in manual mode with Solo before, so i wanted to leave myself enough room to get better with it.

When I launched, from level ground, Solo wanted to drift from a center position and go right or left. A lot of my exercise here was keeping it going straight, and then controlling the position.

Does anyone have tips, or a resources about flying indoors without GPS? I'd like to get better at this in order to put it into my skillset for my architectural photography business.

Here's are some of the phone videos of the test flights.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you for your input.
MattO

It would be best to practice in a field without all of the obstacles while you are learning. Flying in manual will be the same outside with maybe a little less stress.

Welcome to the forum Matto!

Couple more years of practice and you can add indoor flying to your skill set! It's quite difficult to get the FAA to allow it even with the 333 exemption you will need.

Also, that fine dust will wreak havoc with your motor bearings.:(

outdoor you will have an additional factor that you don't indoor though....wind.
True, but the wind doesn't hit back like hitting a wall would. He also has the added safety of being able to use GPS (pause/FLY) to bail out of disorientation. Doubt he could do that indoors.

Any idea why it would drift the way it was? Shouldn't it stay close to stationary without input from me?

Any idea why it would drift the way it was? Shouldn't it stay close to stationary without input from me?

I have a similar project pending. Flying inside a building core for an architectural video about preservation. I might use an Inspire as I know for sure I can knock it out fast with one. My hope is that NAB will be the release of Optical Flow for Solo. That may or may not happen.

To give me as many options as possible I usually fly with 2 complete systems. Solo is my plan B flying in manual mode if necessary. When I balance the motors and the props I find Solo drifts ever so slightly forwards in manual mode indoors. The problem is of course braking but you are going so slow to shoot video anyways braking really isn't an issue. Doing any fancy flying indoors is rather challenging nevertheless. Having 10 people watch you fly indoors without any brakes, just stick work, makes for an interesting day.

This is an old video on motor balancing technique. Lots of other info on this forum, but I found this to be important for Solo for indoor flight. As Jubair said practice outside. Master that on windless days. Then take the show indoors.

It could have been ground effect - it didn't look like you were much over a few feet off the ground in most shots, and the downwash from your props will create a bubble of air that will make it drift all over. The bigger the props/motors, the higher off the ground you'd have to be to get above it.

Next time there's little wind, take your Solo outside, get it 10 to 15 feet up and see if it drifts in manual mode there too. That'll rule out/in the drift coming from the trim of the Solo.

Manual mode should be embraced more than feared and as you get more comfortable with it, you may actually prefer it. I do and so do many others. Save the GPS modes for smart shots or when you need it to hover while you are messing around in the apps. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks