Making Solo lighter for extra flight time

SPP

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking at P2P thread
Added 2nd 5200mah battery in parallel, gained a whopping 3.5 minutes
on extra battery of 430 grams and the short extra flight time and one other members extra 5*minutes flight time on 2nd extra battery on Solo ( *which is good IMHO), I was wondering why not make the Solo lighter instead...so I tought :)

Anyhow I measured the plastic shell only weight, totally naked , it comes out to approx 380 grams.
At approx 7.4 grams force per watt from T motor 2216 KV800 at 443 grams thrust per motor or equal to hoovering thrust... even if we make lighter by 100 grams , assuming shell rigidity or strength is not too compromised, the gain in flight time wont be much.

100 grams / 7.4 = 13.5 watts savings while hoovering. It will make more sense to use Master Airscrew props as Jubalr tested. Solo Props: APC, MA & Stock. Battle For Power..
to get similar power savings over stock props.

So basically a no go experiment for me :)
I am posting this just in case someone wants to take the same "lightweight approach".

i think the only real way to make the solo lighter is to strip out all the components and place them on a lightweight carbon frame and have everything just hanging out
The gimbal could also be stripped apart, removing the plastic covers so that all thats left is the bones.

but what you are left with is a naked solo that may gain you a minute or two of flight time.

If they made the battery case easy to open, I still believe that some higher C rated and newer tech cell that pack more mAh into a similar size would be a benefit, but since the battery case is soo destructive to get it open, its a moot point.

There is a negative side effect to using smart battery packs in that all that extra componentry and casing adds weight.

Not aware of any "smart drone" that uses good ol fashion deans or XT60's without the smart circuitry.
You know, just a simple battery pack without the case and extra hardware, plugged in and velcro'd into place.

Reactions: Solo Keith
The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 and Blade Chroma used Horizon hobbies typical EC3 connector. Despite being in a plastic case and sliding into the craft just like a smart battery it is very dumb and has the EC3 for charge/discharge and a standard xh balance plug. It was nice using my hobby equipment for it but I never fly it anymore with my solo being so badass

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig