Loving my Solo...and a question

Reaction score
I bought my solo 3 weeks ago after a lot of research and I'm very happy with my decision! This forum helped a lot and has reinforced that choice. I was surprised by the prevalence and intensity of some of the anti-3DR propaganda on some of the "independent" blogs.

As a photographer who is interested in video, the focus on enabling good quality cinematic shots was one of the key features that caught my attention. The open, evolving platform was the other big advantage for me. I'm getting more comfortable letting it get further away from me and trusting it will fly reliably. I'm also a pilot, so I'm considering applying for the 333 exemption for my photography business.

Anyway my question: Does the DJI Phantom 3 pro or 4 offer the same auto camera tilt control that the solo does? In my research, I thought this was one of the features that set the Solo apart - the fact that smart shots controlled the camera angle as well as the aircraft position at the same time, autonomously. I was telling a friend about some of the differences between the Solo and Phantom and wanted to make sure I'm not talking out of turn.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I purchased my Solo during the first dark days and have flown it consistently since. The firmware had some maturing to do but overall the criticisms were exaggerated and in many cases not true IMO.

I have a P3P and feel it is very good also. Using the DJI Go app my Phantom does not have automated gimbal tilt control. The Phantom has a 3 axis stabilized gimbal like Solo's which includes yaw, pitch and roll dampening. The gimbal pitch on the Phantom is user controlled (manual) when using the DJI Go app.

That being said DJI allows SDK apps to control their products. With these 3rd party apps, like Litchi, Autopilot, Vertical Studio, automated gimbal control is available.

Now here's the rub, and debate, which is better at autonomous control? Smart shots like cable cam, orbit and waypoints can be flown autonomously with either quad. IMO there is no comparison, Solo's gimbal control is superior. Acceleration/Deceleration, smoothness, vehicle speed - especially close in and tight is simply better with Solo. Solo makes it easy to get cinematic footage due to the smart software; the sdk apps I have used are buggy and robotic looking.

I have not tried Autopilot yet but I do own it and hear it approaches Solo's moves; but I have yet to see a video that substantiates that.

that is why they refer to solos gimbal as 5 axis
the on board computer that solo has allows the copter orientation in the air in concert wit the 3 gimbal axis to do things only two pilot flyers can do with Inspire, and not even sure you can do with phantom. thus the name solo

DJI has developers chasing solos smart shot capability but every time they catch up 3dr just releases new smart shots
Moving from stills to video you have one advantage. You understand framing.
Many video beginners do not understand framing, and solo excels at that with multipoint cable

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Hi Kalin- welcome to the forum!

Whichever bird you go with I would start the process to get your 333 now. You can list both although I don't think the exemption limits you to any particular drone anymore.

Took me 7 months to get mine due to the large number of requests.

The solo gimbal also has it's own IMU, which is a major factor in its smoothness that can't just be replicated with algorithms. It's continuously feeding data to the computer and altering the smart shot to the current flight conditions. This is fairly unique, and it pays off. The gimbal is "smarter" than people give it credit for. They just know the end result is smoother to the eye.

Reactions: pyrate
Very interesting about the gimbal IMU and advanced capabilities. Further support, nice!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig