lost signal at 200 ft

I got a bunch of signal lost today with an overcast day. It kept popping in and out during all my flights. As low as 30ft and high as 150ft. First time so far.

Ryan G

Took my solo up 200ft and lost signal but I was partly under my garage and I have wifi in my home. Which I assume interfere with signal strength. Solo did its thing and hovered in place til I could step away from any interference. My heart stop for awhile
i flew mine on july 4th and it lost signal around 220 and it started flying towards the artillery shell that was already in the sky. barely missed it by a foot or two. i didn't know what to do.

Reactions: 808roller
when it loses signal what does it do ?
I got a bunch of signal lost today with an overcast day. It kept popping in and out during all my flights. As low as 30ft and high as 150ft. First time so far.

Ryan G

FPVLR I'm considering upgrading my stock antennas to yours and was wanting to know how much of an improvement this FPVLR antenna would make when flying in a suburb environment where just about all my neighbors have wifi, cellphone interference etc? My neighbors house is less then 50ft from mines and I'm looking for anything that would improve my solos signal for flying at home.

Reactions: FPVLR

It goes into Manual mode, which is similar to GPS, but it won't just hover in place. It will move with the wind, so you have to be aware of all the conditions. it's still safe (so people say) and it recovered over and over again (it had 12+ sats the whole time too, which was weird, or at least everytime I looked down at it it did).

I AM on the OLDER firmware, as I don't want to update and brick anything.

Ryan G

It goes into Manual mode, which is similar to GPS, but it won't just hover in place. It will move with the wind, so you have to be aware of all the conditions. it's still safe (so people say) and it recovered over and over again (it had 12+ sats the whole time too, which was weird, or at least everytime I looked down at it it did).

I AM on the OLDER firmware, as I don't want to update and brick anything.

Ryan G
Ryan,

I think you are gambling a little not doing the update, as it fixes known issues with GPS. The update goes fine as long as you do each step carefully. When the controller appears to be hung, you just need to check that your tablet has re-established contact with the Solo after the reboot. Some were stating that when the controller says to hit A' to continue, they missed the part of that in small print about re-connecting with Solo. When the controller and Solo reboot, your tablet will look for another WiFi connection. That is why you need to be sure that the tablet has re-connected to Solo before hitting the 'A' key.

Jub: True.. I have literally just had some bad luck with updates the last two days.. Photoshop has stopped working because I updated it, another item same thing.. SO I was thinking it comes in 3's. So I was waiting. Since I have had 0 issues before yesterday with the really cloudy day I figured I would leave well enough alone.

I might try it later tonight, but right now have to get the PC back up and running.

Thanks for the comment though, I will check it out. I am fearful though.

Ryan G

I would agree that if you are not on 1.05 firmware, you are taking a big chance at a crash.
I had two sudden over 20 foot "GPS corrections" that cause it to hit something.

My suspicion is that the 1.00 firmware was allowing it to arm with high PDOP (HDOP) but as soon as it found 2.0 or less, it tried to correct its location with no user input.

Since updating it may not want to arm sometimes, but what it's saying is it is not sure enough of its location to fly, no matter how many SATs it sees.

Also, my Pre-1.05 logs in Mission Planner would sometimes show the wrong location of where I was actually flying, off by about 20 to 40 feet.
After updating it is right on target.

The number of guys that bricked them are slim. So odds are against having issues.

Go for it.

I will update it tomorrow. :) I will let you guys know what happens.

Ryan G

i flew mine on july 4th and it lost signal around 220 and it started flying towards the artillery shell that was already in the sky. barely missed it by a foot or two. i didn't know what to do.

How funny, it happened to that day to.

I will update it tomorrow. :) I will let you guys know what happens.

Ryan G
It takes several minutes. When the controller goes dead it seems like a long time, 2 minutes or so. When it comes back up and says press "A" to continue, at that point you have to have your tablet connected to Solo wifi. That's the part I goofed on but everything worked out. If it bricks, they will replace it.

will these help with performance/distance ?

"
2 Pack of Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi Booster RP-SMA Panel High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for Alfa"

41D3n30kmNL.jpg

Reactions: 808roller
Yes there are a couple guys that are messing with them on here. Would not be my choice but they are very cheap.

Wouldn't get a TON more range, but would those help the signal and potential connection to the Solo for shorter distances.. Say under 2,000ft or so. ?

Ryan G

I wish the Solo had much better distance stock out of box!
I have a P3 and Inspire 1 and their ranges are far superior stock out of box.
Don't think we should have to spend extra $$
To increase an insufficient range for a product we spend $1900.00 on?
I do love everything else about the solo!

Its all pretty simple stuff. 3DR can triple their range without adding $20 cost to their setup. They obviously don't think its important.

I videoed a rugby tournament today and worked from the clubhouse and kept turning to avoid sun etc. I used the P3P to do the job and even if the Solo had a gimbal it would have lost connectivity often.

Can't wait for my DBS setup !

Rich what did you get?

I saw your other post about the noise, and that's a concern of mine of course.. So it might be an issue as I fly..

Ryan G

Have you tried these? If so, how much did they increase your range?

I use them within LOS (line of sight) and I get a strong signal. I'm sure range has increased but I haven't pushed it. I feel more secure with a stronger signal. How and where I fly, I'd probably get the same performance with the stock antenna.

Reactions: No Soul To Sell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny