Looking to buy a Solo - Follow Mode

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy a Solo to follow my race car. From what I understand the Solo wont be able to actually follow my race car due to the speed difference. My race car goes about 90mph on a dirt track circle.

I was hoping to have the drone sit stationary in the middle of the track and have the camera follow the car. Anyone with any experience or info on whether this will work would be very helpful before I go and spend the money.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ive not got to try it yet but it sounds like the newer watch me feature added to follow me should do just what your looking for. I'm sure other have had a better chance to try this out. I know Jubalr was using watch me for things, maybe he or others could confirm?

Also even follow me or using mission planner if set up right and flying in the infield may do decent keeping up since it would be doing a much shorter run, in theory it should work?

You'd also have to keep in mind with gimbal were only getting around 15 minutes so at high speeds that may go down. Curious what top speed is for follow me myself, I've not seen. I know in non GPS modes solo can go 55mph, but in GPS it's lower and GPS would be needed for follow. I'm kinda curious myself now to, I'd like to do similar things with motorcycles or other things as well.

Going that fast with all types of things that could interfere I'm not sure how it would or wouldn't work out though. Will be very cool if you get it figured out and it comes together as planned.

Good luck and welcome to 3dr pilots if you do end up getting one and they still have stock there's a place that was selling new solo units at $699 Friday cause they aren't carrying solo or Dji copters anymore. There's a thread below with more info. UAV Direct is the company.

You need something like this:

SOLOSHOT

You could operate it yourself. Also, it could last the whole race if you plug it in.

Also even follow me or using mission planner if set up right and flying in the infield may do decent keeping up since it would be doing a much shorter run, in theory it should work?

You'd also have to keep in mind with gimbal were only getting around 15 minutes so at high speeds that may go down. Curious what top speed is for follow me myself, I've not seen. I know in non GPS modes solo can go 55mph, but in GPS it's lower and GPS would be needed for follow. I'm kinda curious myself now to, I'd like to do similar things with motorcycles or other things as well.

Going that fast with all types of things that could interfere I'm not sure how it would or wouldn't work out though. Will be very cool if you get it figured out and it comes together as planned.

Good luck and welcome to 3dr pilots if you do end up getting one and they still have stock there's a place that was selling new solo units at $699 Friday cause they aren't carrying solo or Dji copters anymore. There's a thread below with more info. UAV Direct is the company.
55 MPH? I thought somewhere in the 3DR info it said about 30 MPH- where did you see 55? I think the battery time would be pretty short at that speed! Lol!

55 MPH? I thought somewhere in the 3DR info it said about 30 MPH- where did you see 55? I think the battery time would be pretty short at that speed! Lol!
Watch me could work, but for a short while. The tough part will be getting/keeping the GPS signal linked from tablet/phone (going 90 mph) to the controller. The copter center d on the track, turning to follow you wouldn't be hard. Best to put the phone on the outside.

I was thinking battery life had improved enough where it could handle a 20 minute race. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I think soloshot is what I need. I would love a drone to do the job but I think battery life may prevent this.

Reactions: Acroduster
Agreed. The Soloshot seems to be perfect for something like this. If you can mount it on a pole somewhere in the infield, it would follow you for the entire race and you wouldn't have to worry about it wandering off and damaging something or hurting someone.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I believe the Solo does around 35MPH in GPS mode and can hit 55MPH in altitude hold (Fly:manual).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks