Local Enforcement

Reaction score
"No person shall engage in motorized toy or model aviation, model boating or model automobiling, except at such times and at such places designated or maintained therefor by the Director or his agent."

"No person shall have, use or operate any aircraft in a park, except as expressly authorized by the Director. The word "aircraft" includes any contrivance now known or hereafter invented, used or designed for flight in the air. The word "aircraft" includes gliders, helicopters and lighter-than-air dirigibles and balloons capable of carrying passengers or cargo."

My local laws do not allow for any type of RC vehicle use of any type from town parks/property. I have flown from town parks, numerous times, in view of park enforcement and law enforcement with no issue. At the time I was unaware of the regulation due to the fact that most of the municipal code is stored on a third party site which took time to find. Now being aware of code I'm freaked out about flying. What are some thoughts in regards to the code above? The town used this reference on its website when drone registration became live.

Has anyone had any run-ins with local law enforcement? If so, what was their approach? What was the result?

"No person shall engage in motorized toy or model aviation, model boating or model automobiling, except at such times and at such places designated or maintained therefor by the Director or his agent."

"No person shall have, use or operate any aircraft in a park, except as expressly authorized by the Director. The word "aircraft" includes any contrivance now known or hereafter invented, used or designed for flight in the air. The word "aircraft" includes gliders, helicopters and lighter-than-air dirigibles and balloons capable of carrying passengers or cargo."

My local laws do not allow for any type of RC vehicle use of any type from town parks/property. I have flown from town parks, numerous times, in view of park enforcement and law enforcement with no issue. At the time I was unaware of the regulation due to the fact that most of the municipal code is stored on a third party site which took time to find. Now being aware of code I'm freaked out about flying. What are some thoughts in regards to the code above? The town used this reference on its website when drone registration became live.

Has anyone had any run-ins with local law enforcement? If so, what was their approach? What was the result?
Local laws can restrict where aircraft/ RC aircraft can take off and land only in reference to their own property. So parks would qualify as an area they can restrict. Once it is in the air, they no longer have authority and the FAA is the controlling agency.

But you left out the most important part of the ordinance.. Or What? What are the penalties?

I have flown at local parks, and none have a sign posted about flying. There are signs about no motorized vehicles in the park, but that refers to cars, motorcycles, and motorized bicycles. Kids take their rc cars there and have a ball. No one has ever approached me about not flying in a park, but if they did I would comply, and go elsewhere. When I do fly in a park, it is usually with my grandson, so he can "fly Papa's Solo". We never go above about 20 ft. and it is set on turtle mode. It has been awhile since I have flown at a park, and with the new registration from the FAA in the news, people's thoughts may have changed. I hope not, but we will see.

Bear in mind that the signs prevent ad hoc use of R/C.
However, a couple of options are generally available.
-Call the parks department responsible for the park, explain the need for flight in that specific area, offer to email or fax over a flight request that includes all the same things equired for an FAA-approved flight (altitude, distance, what you'll do if you lose control of the device/flyaway, purpose, time of day). In my experience, permissions are frequently granted if asked properly.
-Apply for a contingent film permit. If it's a one-man operation, there usually are no fees.

An example; a state park in Utah has signs posted that no R/C may be used in the park at all. I contacted the park authority 2 weeks prior to arrival. I explained the purpose/need. I explained that I would be seeking permission from the airport authority (even though they are far away from an airport), and that I'd be seeking permission from the local film office. "Pending permission from those two authorities, may I fly over XXXX between the hours of 7:45 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.?"

I was given contingent permission, received the clearance in fax-form from the local FSDO, printed an email from the local film office, and shot the footage this past weekend. Client is happy, I'm happy, no laws were broken and at no point did I feel the need to be surreptitious. By acting respectful in advance, you might be surprised at how easy things can go.

FWIW, where I live there is a province-wide ordinance that says "no R/C of any kind in any park." However, my standing SFOC does allow me to fly anywhere, any time in the province. Including in controlled airspace with prior request/notifications to Transport Canada.

Reactions: Acroduster
So...2 days after I started this threat the local newspaper printed this article(link at bottom). They don't seem to be really looking to interfere as long as you are being safe and reasonable. Being close to an airport does raise some issues in our area. I have yet to discover an RC club in my immediate area and am wondering if being in close proximity of an airport is the reason. Basically, just don't be an asshole!

If only it was that easy. Here is the link...

Greenwich fliers, real estate companies, sending drones into the sky

I contacted a local rc club in my area and was told, nicely, that their club and flying field was for fixed wing craft only. When I asked why, with the popularity of quads, he really couldn't give me an answer. Go figure.........

Reactions: Peter Andrews
The local R/C clubs in my area told me to piss off - they wanted nothing to do with Quadcopters...
I contacted a local rc club in my area and was told, nicely, that their club and flying field was for fixed wing craft only. When I asked why, with the popularity of quads, he really couldn't give me an answer. Go figure.........
Are you an AMA member? If so find an AMA field (and they are typically next to airports) as they will not turn you away, or shouldn't.

Sarasota - Sarasota Silent Flyers
Bakersfield - Home Page & BARKS - Home

You can also check here - Academy of Model Aeronautics - AMA Charter Club Search

Honestly, I would tire quickly of an airfield. I rarely visit my local field.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus