Life vest for solo

Reaction score
I have several areas of water that I plan on Flying over, but I am sure that if it ends up coming down over water for some reason it will sink.

Thinking about making a life vest for it...anyone else interested in one? Or are there allready some available for drones.

My hex landing gear is big enough to where I zip tie a few pool noodle sections to the horizontals while flying over water.

that is kind of what I was thinking, but perhaps mount it to the expansion port mounting holes.
or go across the ends of the landing gear.

did you ever float test your hex?

Yes, calm lake, controlled landing. In crash situation I'm sure I would recover it inverted floating.

I would absolutely be interested. I'm shocked more people are not concerned about this. It takes a lot to float it, I've been playing around with water bottles for floats without success so far.

The Solo with go pro weighs 3.5 pounds, so you need roughly 1/2 gallon of flotation.

I am thinking of a carbon fiber rectangular frame wrapped in foam that the solo sits on top of.

The Solo with go pro weighs 3.5 pounds, so you need roughly 1/2 gallon of flotation.

I am thinking of a carbon fiber rectangular frame wrapped in foam that the solo sits on top of.

How would that factor in increase in internal temperature of such a add on was created, definitely sounds interesting. Get a solid thing going and make a Kickstarter id back it

Aerodynamics wise whats best? Round vs Square and does moving it down (like longer legs) help with prop wash/stability? Real issue is what happens when it flips? Now it sits under water (hopefully without the props still spinning and pulling it deeper... Did 3DR fix the upside down SOLO motors still running issue with 1.05?

I just want something that gives my SOLO and GoPro a fighting chance of survival not so much something that I can purposefully land on.

Flipping Will be a possibility.....I am calling it a life vest instead of floats because it's main purpose is to not let the solo sink like a rock and not be recovered if it crashes on water.

Electronics can usually survive some water....but not always I suppose.

Life vest would mean that it is still alive, like search and rescue. I think you're saying search and recover vest...;)

You could have a system that deploys via CO2 cartridge or another fast expanding gas system, which would lower your EPA (Effective Projected Area) by deploying when required rather than a swim noodle catching wind all the time. Making a water activation switch should be simple.

I don't think anything could be made in the idea of "life vest" for Solo, unless the bird's design was purposed for water landing from the get-go.

I think weight would be an issue for the inflatable system....and cost...and reliability.

But aerodynamics would certainly suffer some with floats attached. No real way around that.

I'm interested in some sort of float too. Main objective is to prevent sinking if the bird ends up in the water.

I was thinking of floatation in the body so as not to affect the prop wash or add a lot of wind resistance.

very interested to see what you come up with. are you planning to be able to land in a stable way on the water or is it simply a flotation to recover the (likely inverted) quad?

Exactly what Op said. :)

I would be interested in this regardless.

Thanks
Ryan G

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

very interested to see what you come up with. are you planning to be able to land in a stable way on the water or is it simply a flotation to recover the (likely inverted) quad?

It started out as a life vest....just so it won't sink to the bottom, but it is now officially floats and will be stable enough to land and take off from water, as long as it is not super choppy water.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Steel and aluminum frame looks awefull heavy. My prototype will be fiberglass and foam. And eventually carbon fiber and foam.

But yes, you can certainly DIY this one.

Any update on your prototype? I want to do some shots over water but nervous that if there is a failure that I wont be able to recover it and my gopro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado