landing problems

Reaction score
I am having problem landing my 3 dr solo .. It get to about a foot from the ground and then speeds up and take off,, the return home will not work. I just have to use the controller levels to fight it down . This seams to have started when I run the battery too low one time and it return home by it,s self. Any thoughts

I am having problem landing my 3 dr solo .. It get to about a foot from the ground and then speeds up and take off,, the return home will not work. I just have to use the controller levels to fight it down . This seams to have started when I run the battery too low one time and it return home by it,s self. Any thoughts
You've got a lot of things going on here, Reg.

IF you've run your battery down too low, it may not be holding a charge.

IF it isn't holding a charge, and Solo thinks it's running out of juice, Solo will initiate an RTH. What is your battery level as you are attempting to land?

Why do you say RTH isn't working - because you have to 'fight' it down? Solo will NOT land fast in FLY mode... you should assign Fly: Manual to button A or B then practice flying in manual - not the regular "Fly" mode.

Probably need a lot more info to diagnose anything past this.

I do have a full charged battery ..I have only been using solo for a few mins. at a time . Want to make sure it is flying correct before using it for 20 min, or so . It just does not land like it did when 1st used it { new}. I push the "FLY"button to land - it starts but I have to push again and again . same with the RTH button. have to keep pushing it . Like I said it starts to land but speeds up and take off after coming with in a foot off the ground,

Are you sure your FLY button on the controller is not sticking down. Past reports that sometimes it gets stuck down and then erratic flight. Just guessing here.

Last I knew RTH was not working in the latest update and needs to be set to RTL instead unless using Solex. As far as the landing itself issue goes if it is auto landing you should not be using the controls at all but it is not exactly a fast process. It can take it a little bit of going up and down near the ground before it figures out where the ground is and just lands. If you spend a small amount of time reading other posts you will notice that nearly everyone recommends that you land and take off in manual. Solo can land itself but IME it doesn't do it very well or reliably.

Reg- The sticky button thing is a great place to start- it has caused a lot of grief to Solo owners. I don't think the battery is a factor.

When landing, you need to hold the left stick full "down" until the motors stop. If you don't, the motors will speed up again. Of course, when using the RTL button, no stick input is necessary. Solo should land and shut off automatically.

I did a lot of flying with Solo this past week. After reading about landing issues, I decided to let Solo RTL and land completely.

I had no problems at all. Solo returned to within a few feet of its take off location. When it reached about 15' above ground, it slowed its descent rate noticeably and landed very softly.

(Using iPad mini 3)

Last I knew RTH was not working in the latest update and needs to be set to RTL instead unless using Solex.

Just to clarify, RTM (Return to ME) isn't working using the Android version of the Solo app, but (RTL) Return to Launch works fine. RTL/RTH (Launch/Home) is basically the same thing, some platforms just use Launch while others Home. In either case, it returns to the GPS location where it was armed, or where it first got a position fix if you took off before getting a fix.

As for the landing problems, it's hard to know what the problem may be, be it user error or some type of glitch. I've auto landed many times, and land in FLY mode most of the time, and have never experienced the touch and go or bouncing that some report. I'll only land in Manual if the landing spot has an elevated risk of GPS loss - tight spots with obstructed views of the sky.

Are people not continuing to hold the throttle down after touch-down? Mid-stick is hover power, so if it's released as soon as Solo touches down, the motors will power back up and, being in ground effect, is likely to take off again. Once you touch down, just keep holding the throttle all the way down and Solo will power it's motors off after about 2 or 3 seconds. It's worked for me literally every flight for over a year across 3 Solo's now.

Back again .. any one else out there having landing problems . would like to hear from you. Thanks!

I actually had a little landing issue today. I brought my Solo in after flying for about 10min (battery at 50%) and the drone decided to take off after I had planted all 4 legs firmly on the concrete. My Solo launched into the air about 4 feet, clipped a fence, and then inverted before finally slamming into the pavement. I shattered a prop and the 3 others are now going into my reserve pile for when I'm in a pinch. Sucks. Ive decided to turn on the Solex "Kill" switch and for now on I will be landing in manual. Live and learn $$$$$$$$

Reactions: Crisp Rice
I actually had a little landing issue today. I brought my Solo in after flying for about 10min (battery at 50%) and the drone decided to take off after I had planted all 4 legs firmly on the concrete. My Solo launched into the air about 4 feet, clipped a fence, and then inverted before finally slamming into the pavement. I shattered a prop and the 3 others are now going into my reserve pile for when I'm in a pinch. Sucks. Ive decided to turn on the Solex "Kill" switch and for now on I will be landing in manual. Live and learn $$$$$$$$
Sorry to hear about your crash.

After landing, did you continue to hold the left stick full down?

If you did, that's definitely a Solo error.

Reg
Keep in mind solo ONLY LIKES To land on LEVEL SURFACES other wise solo will most likely land then ramp up the props and flip destroying your props most likely.

Reg- The sticky button thing is a great place to start- it has caused a lot of grief to Solo owners. I don't think the battery is a factor.

When landing, you need to hold the left stick full "down" until the motors stop. If you don't, the motors will speed up again. Of course, when using the RTL button, no stick input is necessary. Solo should land and shut off automatically.

I did a lot of flying with Solo this past week. After reading about landing issues, I decided to let Solo RTL and land completely.

I had no problems at all. Solo returned to within a few feet of its take off location. When it reached about 15' above ground, it slowed its descent rate noticeably and landed very softly.

(Using iPad mini 3)
I always, on RTL, wait until Solo is pretty much directly above me and then take manual control for landing. Once it's on the ground, ( doesn't really seem to matter if it's perfectly level or not ) make sure and hold the left stick down until the motors stop. If you release the stick before complete motor shut off, Solo will take back off again, and thinking that it has landed, might surprise you into an eronious stick movement. Result, often an upside down Solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig