Just had signal loss and crash with my new Solo

It was 7 the last time I noted. Was a little busy flying. :)
I had just done an auto take off so altitude was ~10 ft. Was in "Fly" mode. It came to a hover and began small movements on x and y with the controller when it stopped responding and started to slowly drift and lose altitude until it hit the ground. Motors didn't stop so had to carefully release the battery without slicing my wrist.

Version Info:
App: 1.0.2
Controller: 1.0.5
Controller Firmware: 1.0.2

Erik,
My apologies, sorry, meant no offense. Didn't mean to offend a 1st day member. Peace brother

It was 7 the last time I noted. Was a little busy flying. :)
I had just done an auto take off so altitude was ~10 ft. Was in "Fly" mode. It came to a hover and began small movements on x and y with the controller when it stopped responding and started to slowly drift and lose altitude until it hit the ground. Motors didn't stop so had to carefully release the battery without slicing my wrist.

Version Info:
App: 1.0.2
This drifting problem has been talked about before, and it seems to happen at low altitudes and in fairly close proximity to the controller. Not sure if a cause has been found yet. I've not had the problem, nor have many of us here (I don't believe). But those who have had the issue have tried to test sticks at a higher altitude and further out, and it seems to resolve the problem. Also a good idea to program the A button to fly in Manuel mode. The Pause button just keeps you in GPS mode which could be causing the drift to begin with.
But I certainly don't see this issue as a "growing trend."

...But I certainly don't see this issue as a "growing trend."
I hope not. Really liking the Solo. (other than this strange crash) We can't see a "trend" unless incidents are reported/shared.

Will certainly be setting the A button. Thanks.

That's quite the welcome to the site.

I find the assumption of a "lack of knowledge" or "experience" related to a system failure to be presumptuous. You assume because a drone loses connection to the controller that it's pilot error? I would love to see anyone land a remote craft with no stick control.

I simply contributed because there may be a growing trend with this NEW drone.
Sorry. Won't happen again.
Very sorry to hear of your mishap! David's advise was sound and his assumption may have been based on your statement that when you first felt a loss of control, you hit the 'pause' key. The problem is that the hitting pause was no different than the mode you were already in. I believe that you more than likely experienced a GPS glitch, and hitting pause is the same 'Loiter' mode you were already in and is dependent on GPS. Best to have the A or B key set to 'Manual' which on your X8 would be Alt Hold. It would stabilize the quad and allow you to fly it without GPS.
Fly Safe.. And I hop you have better results next flight out..

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Very sorry to hear of your mishap! David's advise was sound and his assumption may have been based on your statement that when you first felt a loss of control, you hit the 'pause' key. The problem is that the hitting pause was no different than the mode you were already in. I believe that you more than likely experienced a GPS glitch, and hitting pause is the same 'Loiter' mode you were already in and is dependent on GPS. Best to have the A or B key set to 'Manual' which on your X8 would be Alt Hold. It would stabilize the quad and allow you to fly it without GPS.
Fly Safe.. And I hop you have better results next flight out..

Point taken.

I had a crash with my Solo and was told not was a glitch. I told them that I was not satisfied with how it does not operate the way it was advertised and would like my money back seeing that it is less then 30 days. I was told they would only take them back if it is in like new condition.
I asked for the CEO's email or someone higher up in the company and they will not give out that information and that I should write their "help" email, which I am sure they will not advance up to anyone.
Then I try to buy parts so I can use my Solo and they can not even take a credit card over the phone?????? I have not heard of that from any company these days.... and funny you can not even mail them a check. you have to do a wire transfer.....(what kind of company is this). are they going bankrupt?
So far 3D Robotics has been the worst company I have ever dealt with. Seem that they already have your money so why give service

I had a crash with my Solo and was told not was a glitch. I told them that I was not satisfied with how it does not operate the way it was advertised and would like my money back seeing that it is less then 30 days. I was told they would only take them back if it is in like new condition.
I asked for the CEO's email or someone higher up in the company and they will not give out that information and that I should write their "help" email, which I am sure they will not advance up to anyone.
Then I try to buy parts so I can use my Solo and they can not even take a credit card over the phone?????? I have not heard of that from any company these days.... and funny you can not even mail them a check. you have to do a wire transfer.....(what kind of company is this). are they going bankrupt?
So far 3D Robotics has been the worst company I have ever dealt with. Seem that they already have your money so why give service
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had mine since June 25 and have not had any real issues. The support has be superior to any company I have dealt with and the product has exceeded my expectations far more than the white birds.
I don't think you will see them going bankrupt any time soon. They are pretty far into this project and have lots of backing.

@skijake I'm afraid it sounds like you crashed your Solo so if that is the case it's not up to 3DR to fix it free. The Solo logs can be downloaded and you can prove yourself if you had a crash that wasn't your own fault. 3DR will accept valid arguments and they do review logs.

What parts at you needing to buy, can you not just buy off the website using your card? The team you call up are a support team not a sales team so I'm not surprised they don't do verbal card sales as it's costly and inefficient compared to web sales.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and J R
Ive crashed my Solo one time. And it was my own dumba$$ fault. I tried showing off and landing it in the bed of my truck (fail). I didn't even think about the wind force and disturbance it would make in that small of an area. As soon as it was happening I understood my mistake. I have dealt with support once and it was because I had to reset my solo (forgot my wifi password). Good experience.

Question, if a motor fails while in the air and I crash, what does 3dr cover? Assuming I have the full gimbal and camera setup.

Ive crashed my Solo one time. And it was my own dumba$$ fault. I tried showing off and landing it in the bed of my truck (fail). I didn't even think about the wind force and disturbance it would make in that small of an area. As soon as it was happening I understood my mistake. I have dealt with support once and it was because I had to reset my solo (forgot my wifi password). Good experience.

Question, if a motor fails while in the air and I crash, what does 3dr cover? Assuming I have the full gimbal and camera setup.

Cz,

First, thanks for being straight up. We all have made our fair share of mistakes but few of us are willing to admit to them. Good on you. Won't make that mistake again, will you? You learned from it.

If your motor goes out and it shows it did in the logs 3dr will most likely replace everything. Based on the things I've read and heard, they're really good about it.

Tro had a crash recently for a similar situation and the last I heard 3dr is replacing everything. Good luck trying to get that from the "other guys".

Thanks for your brutal honesty.

Jerry

Reactions: Ian [P13]
So far motor and ESC failures 3DR has covered, I wasn't sure they would as motors are generally seen as a part that'll wear, so I'm guessing if a failure occurs with less than 150 hours of use (given they're rated to last that long) that 3DR is covering them. That's not official it's just my observation from the incidents I've seen to date.

Reactions: J R
Well that is why I am wondering what they cover. This is my first drone, so I don't know what to expect. I run RC cars and if a motor goes bad (burns up or fails) the car stops moving no big deal rarely any damage. BUT with a drone, if the motor fail happens in the air and I am 200ft in the air, I imagine everything would shatter.

Are we supposed to replace the motors every so often? If so how are you guys keeping track of time in the air?

How would any drone company make money if they have to replace the vehicles after the motor fails, because they eventually will fail.

Flying this thing is awesome, but what the hell did I get myself into.

You're supposed to replace the motor pods every 150 hours of use or sooner if they stop turning smoothly.

Reactions: J R
How would any drone company make money if they have to replace the vehicles after the motor fails, because they eventually will fail.

Cz,

There are lots of posts here regarding motor maintenance and expectations. Just do a search, you'll find them. As Ian stated, I don't know the "official" 3dr policy regarding motor failure but based on what I've read it appears as though they'll take responsibility if they believe it could be construed as a manufacturer's defect. I'm sure it's a case by case conclusion based on the individual logs. All I know is they seem to be extremely accomadating. I've never, ever used a warranty, so I can't speak from experience. Just my two cents.

Jerry

Thanks for your guy's input.i assume I can find my flight time in the logs.

Phil, I never had any doubts that you did crash, but like I mentioned before,

THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD CONSIDER A FLY-AWAY!

The Solo did exactly what it is supposed to do. It loses signal and lands. The fact that you took off to close to your house, not realizing that the Home position can "drift", is not the Solo's fault.
Why you would lose signal only being 100 feet up, I have no idea??? And I don't care. Let the 3DR people figure it out. But this is not a Fly-away.

kmd

EDIT: You posted right before me and I did not get to see your post until after I posted mine... Anyhow, I agree. It shouldn't have happened. The lost signal part. Everything else went according to "plan", including the drift. Sometimes my MR lands right where it took off from, and sometimes it lands a few feet away... That is normal. Keep that in mind...
Your tone is not helpful and you have offered nothing but criticism. I came here for information. not correction.

Be careful not to fly around strong wifi hot spots. When I fly my solo with a large DJI group my solo will loose signal and return to home. Nature of the beast. Also fly your solo in a large open field until you learn every aspect of your bird. Treat it like a real aircraft which it is.

Phil,
I am sorry your experience has not been a good one. I have not posted yet on this forum due to my 3 solo's and myself have not experienced any issues. (Fingers crossed.)
Its a shame when a person has an issue and posts on this forum for advise and get talked down to like you did. I have lost allot of respect for this forum over this. Its true a few bad apples can ruin a full bushel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986