Just had signal loss and crash with my new Solo

I had a similar issue where the Solo apparently lost connection with the controller and initiated an RTL. It began to descend from 150 ft into a tree and I was unable to regain control. I was no more that 500 ft away with visual line-of-sight. It subsequently crashed into a tree and burned up a motor. Support has been unaccepting of the fact that Solo lost connection with the controller and began its descent before returning to the launch point. They claim that the Home point some how conveniently moved to a point directly under where the Solo lost connection yet they say there was no GPS failure. Support has stated that "In the Return Home Behavior image, you can see that while the solo was descending the user moved the right stick causing the repositioning behavior." Of course I moved the stick, I was trying to prevent Solo from descending into a tree! Solo did not respond to controller input causing it to continue to descent into a tree. They seem to be confirming the problem but taking no responsibility for the crash.

Correction: 3DR has offered to repair the Solo if I pay shipping and parts. This is an acceptable solution if I can be confident that Solo does not have an issue with loosing connection and landing where ever it happens to be at the time. This could pose some safety issues for clients when conducting mapping or inspection flights.

Also, this is a replacement Solo for one that experienced a "Fly-away". 3DR was extremely responsive in this situation and handled the RMA quickly and professionally.

Last edited:
The logs show the RC In value and the RC Out to the motors, also throttling up would take the Solo out of RTL, you can always check your own log or post it for someone to take a look.

Arducopter won't descend until it's close to its home point, but again the logs show the altitude anyway.

Maybe you weren't as high as you thought you were. RTH kicked in and was doing what is was supposed to do and descend to 49ft and then began to make its way home. RTH kicks in and Solo increases or decreases altitude and then books ass back home. This sounds exactly like what happened. Lose of connection, descend to 49ft (into a tree) and the rest is ....... well what you're dealing with right now.

Hey Dodge, RTH does not descend. If you are higher than 49' it books home at that altitude.

I agree with your correction of my statement. I'm all over the place right now.

I agree with your correction of my statement. I'm all over the place right now.
Me too. My issue is I have two new birds and I start to do something and think oh wait that is the other one. LOL.

Wish we would get our gimbal so I spend more time with this one !

The logs show the RC In value and the RC Out to the motors, also throttling up would take the Solo out of RTL, you can always check your own log or post it for someone to take a look.

Arducopter won't descend until it's close to its home point, but again the logs show the altitude anyway.
I understand that the Home location and the Launch location may (are) different locations. My question is, if the Solo did not have a GPS problem, shy did it return to Home instead of the Launch
Maybe you weren't as high as you thought you were. RTH kicked in and was doing what is was supposed to do and descend to 49ft and then began to make its way home. RTH kicks in and Solo increases or decreases altitude and then books ass back home. This sounds exactly like what happened. Lose of connection, descend to 49ft (into a tree) and the rest is ....... well what you're dealing with right now.
I have flown this area many times. I know the trees are at least 50 - 60 ft high. I fly at 150 ft to make sure I well clear the trees over the whole area as it is on a slope.

My understanding from the documentation and training videos is that under RTL Solo will climb to 49 ft if it is lower and remain at its current altitude if it is higher than 49 ft before returning to land or Home. It seems just plain ridiculous that it would descend to 49 ft before returning to land. Of course, if the Home position has shifted after take-off, this would account for Solo descending to land in the wrong location. In my case, into trees.

I have video footage from the on board GoPro at
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can see that it looks like I regain control for a second or two as I try to climb before it hits the tree. But it is too late. You can see too that I was unable to disarm the Solo after it crashed. It stopped when a motor burns out.

Last edited:
Just had a loss of control also. Flight 6 or 7.

Just did an automated take off and was testing each stick with slight movement. The Solo started drifting right and stopped responding to commands. Tried the pause button but it kept moving right. After about 30ft it hit the ground but motors kept spinning. Pulled the battery to get the moto to stop. A couple broken props and some minor scratches.

So what was the OP's outcome?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

There's a lot to be learned flying these things. Personally, picking one up, taking it to the back yard, and "hey, let's go!" is at the very least naïve. But, the commercials tell you that take it out of the box and have a ball. That's just wrong IMO. Anyway, sorry dude. My advice,#1, get new props. Looks like you were lucky as a number of your brethren here have been also. #2. Get yourself a small cheap $50 drone. I like the Hubsan X107L but there's a bunch of others. Fly it, practice, you will be amazed at how well the skills transfer to SOLO, P3, whatever. I don't care what anyone or any commercial tells you. It takes some skill and knowledge to fly these things, not have crashes, and most of all not hurt anyone. Have fun and safe flying.

That's quite the welcome to the site.

I find the assumption of a "lack of knowledge" or "experience" related to a system failure to be presumptuous. You assume because a drone loses connection to the controller that it's pilot error? I would love to see anyone land a remote craft with no stick control.

I simply contributed because there may be a growing trend with this NEW drone.
Sorry. Won't happen again.

Just had a loss of control also. Flight 6 or 7.

Just did an automated take off and was testing each stick with slight movement. The Solo started drifting right and stopped responding to commands. Tried the pause button but it kept moving right. After about 30ft it hit the ground but motors kept spinning. Pulled the battery to get the moto to stop. A couple broken props and some minor scratches.

Bummer.

Where you flying? What were your surroundings? Any previous experience?
Not sure if you are asking for advice or just logging a complaint?

Oh, and Welcome! to the list.

Urban setting but open sky area. Had 7+ sats for GPS on take off.

Been flying the X8 for a few years now with only a couple "impacts".

Not really a complaint as much as a note to watch for a growing trend. Never expected the complete loss of control and no apparent RTH. Even worse. Once it hit the ground the Solo didn't detect an impact and kept running.

Urban setting but open sky area. Had 7+ sats for GPS on take off.

Been flying the X8 for a few years now with only a couple "impacts".

Not really a complaint as much as a note to watch for a growing trend. Never expected the complete loss of control and no apparent RTH. Even worse. Once it hit the ground the Solo didn't detect an impact and kept running.

7+ sats? You didn't have an exact count? 7 isn't much at all (I thought it needed more than 7 to even arm) What was your HDOP?
What altitude were you at when you started to "drift?"
Have you done your updates? What version are you flying with?
Have you reprogrammed the A button to "manual?"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc