Just got a drone today

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a Phantom 4 today and haven't taken it out of the box yet.... I thought I would check out what others were saying and doing first with them. I see making money with them is not the thing to try and do without going through the proper channels but what if you have a YouTube channel? Are you allowed to monetize your videos that you shoot with your drone there? I notice a lot of people are making YouTube videos and most I am sure do not do it legally. I already make money on YouTube with other videos but didn't want to press my luck if it is not allowed without getting certified and everything else that is required? Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Hello,

I just purchased a Phantom 4 today and haven't taken it out of the box yet.... I thought I would check out what others were saying and doing first with them. I see making money with them is not the thing to try and do without going through the proper channels but what if you have a YouTube channel? Are you allowed to monetize your videos that you shoot with your drone there? I notice a lot of people are making YouTube videos and most I am sure do not do it legally. I already make money on YouTube with other videos but didn't want to press my luck if it is not allowed without getting certified and everything else that is required? Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Waiting on regulation changes myself too and as of now you need a 333 exemption and a pilot to monetize them in any way. They seem to be moving a bit lately on this issue, but it's not going fast to say the least.

Reactions: Tamj
Waiting on regulation changes myself too and as of now you need a 333 exemption and a pilot to monetize them in any way. They seem to be moving a bit lately on this issue, but it's not going fast to say the least.

No, that's ridiculous.

Shooting for your own enjoyment, then putting it on YT and turning on monitize is not breaking the law in any way shape or form

Why would you say something like that.

Go shoot, make some pretty pictures, and share them with the world. If you make what I make on YT< no one is going to say you did it for profit

No, that's ridiculous.

Shooting for your own enjoyment, then putting it on YT and turning on monitize is not breaking the law in any way shape or form

Why would you say something like that.

Go shoot, make some pretty pictures, and share them with the world. If you make what I make on YT< no one is going to say you did it for profit
Probably because the FAA has gone after people who have UAV videos on youtube in the past, because youtube displays ads, which means someone is making money somewhere.
The FAA doesn't like you posting drone footage on YouTube
FAA Sends Letters to Drone Enthusiasts for YouTube Videos

Last edited:
Reactions: Tamj and cameraguy
Probably because the FAA has gone after people who have UAV videos on youtube in the past, because youtube displays ads, which means someone is making money somewhere.
The FAA doesn't like you posting drone footage on YouTube
FAA Sends Letters to Drone Enthusiasts for YouTube Videos

I stand corrected. That is so over the top it amazes me.

You guys are no longer "the land of the free"

There are less regulations in almost every country on earth.

I feel sorry for you all.

Yep sad but true even if ya make a nickel somebody wants their cut here now days.

Yep sad but true even if ya make a nickel somebody wants their cut here now days.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
A fellow who did some soldering for m'e today has a wife who works as a guard in the prison system. My city has 5 prisons in the area. Some medium and minimum and the prison for the worst offenders in Canada. Very remote.

He says they have drones dropping contraband all the time in the prison yard. Can't keep them away. We don't shoot drones in Canada over prisons. If you miss, the bullet could end up in a subdivision.

Kinda scary, the problem is these morons and others who are either not aware or don't care are the reason we all are kinda in the crosshairs right now.

Personally I've had overwhelmingly positive reactions to my quads especially this one cause it looks sleek I guess. I just try to go above and beyond to answer folks or show them my feed so they know we can't exactly spy on them. So far it's went great, but apparently others aren't pitching in locally or those upset aren't talking to me, cause a few of the parks I frequent just turned into no drone zones.

Having done plenty I'm not proud of in my past the only reason I can see someone being that upset about privacy is if their
A. Breaking the law (mostly growing or selling drugs) or
B. Doing something they shouldn't or are embarrassed of.

Im smart enough to know as soon as I walk out my door and possibly before that even there's a good chance I'm being recorded a lot of the time, so I'm not sure why folks think "drones" make much difference in privacy. Privacy is pretty much a thing of the past and grounding drones isnt going to change that. Maybe we should shut down the Internet and all our satellites too, can't hide behind much now days. If these people would live life legally privacy becomes a lot less of a priority trust me, drones aren't the issue lack of common sense in people is. Hopefully we find a happy medium before we run out of places worth filming that allow us to fly.

A fellow who did some soldering for m'e today has a wife who works as a guard in the prison system. My city has 5 prisons in the area. Some medium and minimum and the prison for the worst offenders in Canada. Very remote.

He says they have drones dropping contraband all the time in the prison yard. Can't keep them away. We don't shoot drones in Canada over prisons. If you miss, the bullet could end up in a subdivision.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Regarding monetizing, I was looking into doing the same thing but was completely disappointed to see you need a pilot license to monetize the same video footage you safely obtained.

I follow all the FAA guidelines and everything is fine. Yet, the minute I want to earn some income "Down boy! Pony up $5000 for a pilot license!"

It's crazy because it's the exact same footage.

Same story with CASA is Australia. YouTube is a no no if your making money from advertising.

I think we can still do this in Canada. I really don't see this s earning income on what are essentially hobby videos. When will they go after the Model Railroaders.

Oh the drama

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus