Is it Possible to Revert to Stock Firmware from Open Solo 3.0?

jxo

Reaction score
I am troubleshooting some recent flight problems and it would useful to revert one of my Solos back to the stock Solo firmware. Possible without bricking my hardware?

Will a hard factory reset do so or will it just reset to a clean version of Open Solo?

Thanks

Factory reset will revert to clean open solo, which is one of the huge benefits of Open Solo. There are a few ways to revert. None are simple, scripted, or available in a package. There are no written instructions to do so.

What is the problem you're having?

I have been mounting a Sony mirrorless camera on my Solos. Despite the weight, the Solos have handled it well and remained stable for the last 2 years. For some reason, 2 of my Solos are now significantly shaking and wobbling with the Sony. The only change from the time I had stable flying with the Sony camera was the install of Open Solo in the last 2 weeks. I believe the shaking started on the first flight of each after the Open Solo install. On one of Solos I also switched from an mRo GPS to a mast mounted HERE and I thought that may have been the reason. But I am having the exact same, new shaking with another Solo that has the mRo GPS module. That leaves only the recent install of Open Solo as the change to these drones from the time they were flying smooth.

Driving me crazy because the shaking is fatal to decent photo taking.

Last edited:
And.... the Solos are stable without the Sony mounted. When I mount it, either in the nose where the gimbal goes or in the midsection around the accessory bay, the Solos don’t like and start shaking.

Is it possible that sensor calibrations may have been performed differently with OS causing the drones to react negatively to the added weight from the Sony?

Last edited:
If this is a stock cube (not a green cube), then there is only one difference that has a small chance of impacting it. I really don't think this would do it, and if anything it should make it better, not worse. But try adjusting these parameters. Red is the old version value, green is the newer version value. This was a change 3DR made for better handling with the heavier site scan cameras. It was never released to consumer users and is included in Open Solo.

P2P: much, much appreciated. I am running the stock cubes on all 3. I will check the parameters and report back. I have a shoot coming up and some new remote camera control equipment coming in....but all is a waste if I can't cure these new drone seizures. Zoloft?

... Red is the old version value, green is the newer version value. ....

I assume I will see all these in Mission Planner and simply need to type/toggle in those changes to revert to the Red values? I am a novice and am just making sure.

I have used the 3DR Solo app and it will say there is a new update available, following this it will install the original Solo software.

Curious to see a pic of your Sony mount.
Have several. Best one is a quick release mounted on the accessory bay. I have a small ball head for horizontal shots, an L bracket for vertical (for panoramas) and a special lens mount for downward facing shots. All on a quick release plates for quick changes. The mount up in the nose where the gimbal goes does not center the weight as well. Will post pix soon.

Much help from Ian at the ImpStore getting these made.

Full camera remote equipment arriving now from Finland so all exposure settings can be adjusted in flight.

I have used the 3DR Solo app and it will say there is a new update available, following this it will install the original Solo software.
Not the case with me. With both the Solo App and Side Pilot, not showing the original software. With the Solo app, Settings/Software Update is showing it is up to date with OS 3.0.0. Check for updates does not change that.

I have this option on the front page. Mine did show a similar current version number but still did "upgrade" to the solo version. Screenshot_20190811-113102_Solo.jpeg

I have this option on the front page. Mine did show a similar current version number but still did "upgrade" to the solo version. View attachment 10381
Thanks for checking. My App screen is not showing the Update notice. Does it still show after you connect to your drone? In Settings, what does "Software Update" actually show?

Yes, in the full parameter list.
P2P: I have been traveling and have not yet been able to change the parameters yet.

But curious, what would happen if I paired another controller to the Solo-- one without OS 3.0 installed? Not clear to me how the software is stored. Does it all run from the controller or is some stored and run from the drone/cube as well.

If the controller has 3DR firmware, and the copter has Open Solo, the controller will tell you an update is required just like it used to do. If the controller has OpenSolo and the copter has 3DR firmware, the open solo controller will say version mismatch. In neither case will it allow you to fly. When the copter and controller have different versions (regardless of which), the 3DR app will prompt you to do an update. The 3DR app will only install their last 2.4.2 firmware.

If the controller has 3DR firmware, and the copter has Open Solo, the controller will tell you an update is required just like it used to do. If the controller has OpenSolo and the copter has 3DR firmware, the open solo controller will say version mismatch. In neither case will it allow you to fly. When the copter and controller have different versions (regardless of which), the 3DR app will prompt you to do an update. The 3DR app will only install their last 2.4.2 firmware.
thanks, if the parameter adjustments do not help, I may consider finding a new controller.

...But try adjusting these parameters. Red is the old version value, green is the newer version value. This was a change 3DR made for better handling with the heavier site scan cameras.

P2P: you are a genius. I changed those parameters back and the shaking/wobbling AND whining noise substantially stopped. I had to test today in gusty winds, but the change helped a lot.

Btw, my controller is showing OS v3.0.0 when powering up. Is this the right version to be using?

Is it safe to experiment more with these parameter settings? If so, is it sensible to move them slightly more in the same direction?

For example:
ATC_LEAD_RLL_R, from 4.000000 to 3.00
ATC_LEAD_RLL_W, 15.000000 to 16.00

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: makatanav
Nice. I guess that payload is different enough from the site scan camera that it made a difference. It is certainly safe to adjust further, just make small adjustments and test each time.

Nice. I guess that payload is different enough from the site scan camera that it made a difference. It is certainly safe to adjust further, just make small adjustments and test each time.
Do the settings adjust more for the change in balance/center of gravity or the increase in absolute weight?

I got the following response by email and am curious if this suggests that other parameter or calibration adjustments are worth considering:

"You might need to do a PID calibration. It's difficult to support from remote but basically it's tuning the Solo for the increase mass. Check into Auto-Tune (Warning, you may need to grab manual control during this process)."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc