Infinity Focus Help with 4.35mm Lens...

Reaction score
Hey There!
I'm asking for a little guidance here. I know that there are countless threads about focusing a replacement lens on a Hero4 Black.... (hook it up to an HDMI monitor, point it at something far away, focus.)

...Or the alternative and what I thought was a better method of getting "pretty good" focus, then marking the lens and then putting demarcated lines on the lens surround about 2 mm apart. Then take a photo at each of the points where the lines meet up + / - your initial focus point.

Great! Got the lens installed. Thought I had everything dialed in.

Go for a flight today with my subject (a creek bed and surrounding trees) about 200 ft away taking into account altitude and angle of the gimbal. Unfortunately, it came back soft. Shot at 2.7k / 60 fps / Protune. Sharpness applied in Premiere Pro. Pink fringe somewhat eliminated with the green vignette overlay provided by a user here (apologies for the lack of credit or post reference). Minor color and exposure adjustments in Lumetri Color.

Here is an excerpt from the flight for reference:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(If you click the "share" icon, you can then click the Vimeo URL to get the full screen version.)

So how should I go about adjusting focus? I even took my Atomos Ninja Blade out and attempted to focus on a series of lamp posts that were about 200' away. Thought it was all good. Obviously not.

Thoughts on a better or more scientific way to achieve perfect focus? Or is it like much of the Solo? Try. Result. Analyze. Modify. Repeat.

Thanks again for the sage advice. Any additional feedback on micro-vibrations, settings, etc. are welcome. Glad I found this group for the resources and expertise of the membership!

Bob

With your picture method you may be beyond the hyper focal distance. I usually go for about 100 feet plus or minus and judge the results at a 300% zoom. No matter what you try don't expect DSLR sharpness. Micro vibrations also lessen the sharpness.

Thanks, @Greg Parker . Not expecting the sharpness of a big sensor, but I'd like to at least hit where the stock lens was in terms of sharpness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela