Important upgrade recommendations

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get some feedback on what everyone feels are the important upgrades needed for solo. I have already upgraded my wifi cards and my GPS to a here, Mast mounted GPS, as well as the solex app. I'm wanting to know as I'm getting ready for a green Cube upgrade whether a motor upgrade would be recommended first or was interested in possibly just replacing the stock motors with good bearings or if that's actually needed as I oil them as needed. Any input would be appreciated. Frank.

It appears you are going full tilt in upgrading Solo, might as well go all out.. I don't regret in the least bit upgrading my motors 3 months into owning Solo. Likely the most important part of the bird and having the greatest influence in how the bird performs, it's a no brainer now looking back.

You can easily upgrade bearings into stock motors and it will improve their performance if properly installed. Oiling bearings, in my opinion, is not a long term solution and will only attract more contaminants. You are only masking the problem if your bearings are talking. Buy high quality bearings and you'll understand better.

Good luck on your build.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Well, this is a new solo, and while flying it appears the bearings are talking from the start. A sort of tinging noise I haven't heard on any of my other drones before. That is my only concern with bearing replacing. My stock motors appear to make enough power and just thought the bearings would be an acceptable choice. Or, do you believe new t motors would make and warrant enough difference over just a bearing swap. Quality bearings is something I have always done on everything rc for 35 yrs. But this weird tinging noise is odd and has my attention. The green cube I want to get in because of the 5v slew rate issue. Is that a critical concern that should be addressed immediately. Frank.

Last edited:
Frank, I don't think the slew rate issue is critical. Fly for a while and see how it does. No need to fix things that aren't broken.
@RichWest wrote a great thread on upgrading to T-motors I recommend you read.

Check eBay for the 800 Kv motors.

P.S.- I have no idea what the "slew rate" is. Is it important?

Last edited:
Like Maddog, the slew rate issue has not been a problem as far as I'm concerned. With your vast experience in RC, trust your observation to what sounds wrong and resolve based on your prior experiences. That's how I based my choice to convert.

Bearings are relatively cheap and the stock motors are fine. I just didn't care for the 1/8" shaft, just seemed anemic for longer term motor performance and/or rough handling. Motor balance was an issue for me with the stock motors, had nothing to do with any power.gain. I have a weird obsession in mitigating vibes on the platform.

I drank the KoolAid Roland was serving up and it still is having a residual effect after two years...

Thanks for the heads up. The tinging noise is only apparent when flying. Doesn't really sound like bearings and they feel smooth as butter but I'm almost positive that's the only thing it could be. As far as Roland and drinking the Kool-Aid I guess that's an inside joke.lol

Thanks for the heads up. The tinging noise is only apparent when flying. Doesn't really sound like bearings and they feel smooth as butter but I'm almost positive that's the only thing it could be. As far as Roland and drinking the Kool-Aid I guess that's an inside joke.lol
Roland was a member who pioneered the T-Motor upgrade.

Like Maddog, the slew rate issue has not been a problem as far as I'm concerned. With your vast experience in RC, trust your observation to what sounds wrong and resolve based on your prior experiences. That's how I based my choice to convert.

Bearings are relatively cheap and the stock motors are fine. I just didn't care for the 1/8" shaft, just seemed anemic for longer term motor performance and/or rough handling. Motor balance was an issue for me with the stock motors, had nothing to do with any power.gain. I have a weird obsession in mitigating vibes on the platform.

I drank the KoolAid Roland was serving up and it still is having a residual effect after two years...
I have a weird obsession in mitigating vibes on the platform.

That's an understatement..:eek:

The tinging noise is only apparent when flying.
Other than the ESC's chirping, it's all in the bearings... You maybe experiencing shaft wobble, the typical cause is improper loading of the bearings. Whereas the shaft oscillates in the lower bearing. I have a motor balance thread here documenting much of what I learned about our BL motors and bearings.

That's an understatement..:eek:
Yes, yes it is..... And just so you know it's getting worse... I've started doing my research to build a legit vibration simulating contraption. Data logger and all. And no, not that kind of vibration contraption....gutter mind boy.

Reactions: DJMc
Yeah this is not esc chirping. I'm probably going to seek out new motors for the swap, after reading. I like the idea of the bigger shafts (don't go there--hehe), also peace of mind. As I've said, although I've been at drones for quite some time now, I'm new to solo and just now exploring my solex apps learning curve. If you all can share some insight on shots or things you really enjoy that would benefit me, please, by all means, enlighten me. It would definitely be appreciated to help with the learning curve.Thanks guys. Frank.

Other than the ESC's chirping, it's all in the bearings... You maybe experiencing shaft wobble, the typical cause is improper loading of the bearings. Whereas the shaft oscillates in the lower bearing. I have a motor balance thread here documenting much of what I learned about our BL motors and bearings.

Yes, yes it is..... And just so you know it's getting worse... I've started doing my research to build a legit vibration simulating contraption. Data logger and all. And no, not that kind of vibration contraption....gutter mind boy.
Haha!!
Do you mean you are building a device to vibrate or something to do dynamic balancing?

Are you guys geek shaming me?
Actually, I think your jokes are guided twords me. At least I thought it was a joke as maddog responded- haha. Never the less, I pay attention to all that you guys say, and Respect all of you. Frank.

Last edited:
Frank, I don't think the slew rate issue is critical. Fly for a while and see how it does. No need to fix things that aren't broken.
@RichWest wrote a great thread on upgrading to T-motors I recommend you read.

Check eBay for the 800 Kv motors.

P.S.- I have no idea what the "slew rate" is. Is it important?
I figured you guys knew of the esc issue and the slew rate where as the 2.1 with jumper, or the green cube at 5v solved the issue of possible motor drop out and if it was that critical to do that swap immediately or not. Frank.

Maddog--Rich, I found a video on YouTube that you can hear the exact tinging noise I am hearing. I also can hear it in my video, but can also hear it physically up close while flying. -- 3DR Solo 2KM flight with upgraded wifi cards and aftermarket antennas. -- the noise can be heard periodically throughout the flight, but at 4.40 in the video, this is very noticeable as the same as I'm hearing. Frank.

the noise can be heard periodically throughout the flight, but at 4.40 in the video, this is very noticeable as the same as I'm hearing

Noise is vibration. I stand by what I've already stated and in this case it is shaft wobble. The sound always picks up when he loads the motors to a higher rpm.

From Mission Planner you can perform a single motor run test. This test allows you to isolate a problem motor running at various rpm. What I'm suggesting will make more sense when you run a motor test.

Thanks Rich. I will do that and report later. Can that be done via WiFi, or plug in to pix. Frank.

Well, I did a one at a time motor test. 7 sec each, many times at different rpms. For the life of me, they were pretty darn good. So, I started looking at props again. I had 1, that was so minutely out, I would have never even suspect it. Well, noise gone. At this point I can't see a swap untill I have an issue, but, I did order the lumenier fx2216 900kv motors, the v2s, at 28 bucks a pop. At least I have em. I know, it's a disease!! I own That t-shirt. Frank.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig