I'm considering Solo purchase, B&H $199...

OK, I ordered the one for $199 this AM. I think I'll probably do the $299 package too.

Nice, take it slow and ask questions. Find a nice field to get acquainted with the different functions before flying around your house. Have fun!

Nice, take it slow and ask questions. Find a nice field to get acquainted with the different functions before flying around your house. Have fun!
Thanks! Any recommendations on iPads? I have an old first gen iPad mini but I'd like to use a full size iPad if possible.

Last edited:
Can't help you there. I use my Galaxy s7 phone. Im sure someone else will chimed in.

well bicyclemonkey-
There was a thread not too long ago about what devices different guys were using and how they liked them. Can use the search feature to find that thread-
It won’t take you long before you realize how handy that backpack would be, all your stuff in one unit with carrying straps.... Then you will feel real good about the $299 purchase. Or look through the classified section on this forum- there are good deals to be found if you are patient.
And let me know when you get to a dozen- drove 1 1/2 hours to Lancaster,Pa to buy a guys Solo/ Gimbal/ Accessories plus HPRC2700 case. It’s addictive; but like I keep telling the wife- “ It’s like they’re giving them away!!” It’s a small price to pay for the entertainment it provides.

Once you get accustom to Solo- and since you are already familiar with this hobby- you may want to upgrade to a Green Cube and maybe a HERE. They take your Solo to the next level! And also install the Open Solo program on your system. These upgrades are courtesy of some of these geniuses on this forum! The benefits of Solo over other manufacturers- open source- these guys have made it where you are no longer dependent on 3DR since they started idling down. Keep reading and searching on here- some much information from a lot of intelligent people! ( exclude me. I just enjoy Solo; and benefit from the technical dedication of others who unselfishly help us flourish.)

Thanks! Any recommendations on iPads? I have an old first gen iPad mini but I'd like to use a full size iPad if possible.
If sometime down the road you want to try Solex, you'll need an Android table(or phone). Solex is not supported on iOS. Before I got my Solo I flew(still do) the Mavic Pro and a Yuneec Q500+ 4K. I decided to buy a used NVidia Shield K1 primarily for the performance aspects and HDMI out (when I get goggles). Although they've been discontinued, you can find them used on eBay. I've only used it with my Solo so far and it works great. However, I find a display hood is necessary when flying in bright sunlight and white fluffy clouds around. I recently ordered a non-glare screen protector that should arrive today to try. Before the Shield, I picked up an iPod Mini 3 (ebay) in near mint condition and was using that with my Mavic.

Enjoy your new toy!.. :)

redjr16-
The brightness does make it difficult to see your phone/tablet- I wonder if you wore polarized sunglasses if it would help? I use to see the commercials where they would advertise them and show guys fishing and how much better they were able to see. I wear prescription glasses so it’s not an option for me.

Bicyclemonkey-
I’ll be waiting to hear what YOU think about Solo- you have to experience it for yourself and make you own opinion. I’m thinking you’re going to be pleased.

redjr16-
The brightness does make it difficult to see your phone/tablet- I wonder if you wore polarized sunglasses if it would help? I use to see the commercials where they would advertise them and show guys fishing and how much better they were able to see. I wear prescription glasses so it’s not an option for me.

I'll have to try that. During the week in my office environment I generally always wear my contacts. I wear my glasses in the evenings and on weekends, but occasionally will wear my contacts. Next time I fly I'll wear my contacts and my polarized sunglasses to see if there's a benefit.

I'll have to try that. During the week in my office environment I generally always wear my contacts. I wear my glasses in the evenings and on weekends, but occasionally will wear my contacts. Next time I fly I'll wear my contacts and my polarized sunglasses to see if there's a benefit.
Polarized lenses with LCD screens is generally a pretty poor idea. The LCD panels have a polarizer in them, and if the screen orientation (with its polarizer) happens to align 90deg off from the polarization in your lenses, you're staring at a black screen.

Damn Saijin-
I thought maybe I made a discovery... well; back to the drawing board!

Damn Saijin-
I thought maybe I made a discovery... well; back to the drawing board!
You're more than welcome to try. If you get lucky, they're aligned in terms of polarization and you get full brightness from the screen and no glare. If not... eeeh haha. Gets unpleasant fast. I keep a pair of dark tinted non-polarized for field usage for this reason.

Hey. I believe you. I wear prescription glasses so I’ve never had a pair of polarized sunglasses before- just remembered the commercials. If you say it won’t work- then it won’t work. I didn’t know there was that kind of technology in the screen.??

Oh wow, a bunch of posts since I checked last! Thanks for all the feedback. Two questions:

1) What' Solex

2) How cheap is too cheap for a gimbal? I just bought one on Amazon for $44 free shipping, it said used excellent condition.

Solex is another app to monitor Solo- has great reputation for frequently updating and is real nice. You can search Solex on forum and see other members responses about solex.
$44 is REAL CHEAP. Hopefully it arrives and secondly, it works. When you see a gimbal that cheap- it’s usually “ for parts only” non functioning. But maybe you got lucky! When the fire-sale was in full motion, you could find a new gimbal for $40. But those days are long gone. Looks like the average price at this point for a new gimbal is around $200- $250. These prices are constantly changing as supplies run out.

Oh wow, a bunch of posts since I checked last! Thanks for all the feedback. Two questions:

1) What' Solex

2) How cheap is too cheap for a gimbal? I just bought one on Amazon for $44 free shipping, it said used excellent condition.
$44 is a bit on the cheap side. A gimbal is something you just want to work, and work well. Yet it is the weakest link in terms of fragility on the copter. However, compared to other quads, the Solo's is fairly robust in build even if mostly plastic. There are still a few new ones on eBay, but they're more $$, around $200. I just bought a new one from a forum member from Australia. Hope this one works out for you.

absolutely. you know amazon will stand behind anything you purchase from them/ they almost always stand behind the purchaser.
But as redjr said- you’ll want to protect your gimbal- so I would start with a very inexpensive set of leg extenders. I choose a set that folds up, that way I didn’t have to keep taking them off to fit Solo in its case. It just adds a little additional clearance between gimbal and the ground. And practice with Solo a bit without the gimbal, one less thing to distract you while you are learning Solo’s functions and behaviors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela