How To: Reading Solo Logs

Reaction score
Perhaps we can help people trying to read their own logs.

To do this get Mission Planner.

You can download it here:
http://ardupilot.com/downloads/?did=82

Here is the 3DR forum for Mission Planner:
http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
Keep in mind that we can easily get the Telemetry logs, the 'dataflash' logs may take more work.

When you create a 3DR support ticket, your log files are attached to the email as a .zip file.

Here is some documentation on how to download logs:
http://3drobotics.com/kb/downloading-flight-logs-mission-planner/
You will want to rename your logs from file names like solo.tlog, solo.tlog1, solo.tlog2, to solo1.tlog, solo2.tlog, etc. This way Mission Planner can easily open the log files.

If you have the .zip from a support ticket, save it to your PC in a folder where you can find it. Unzip the contents, and rename the files as mentioned above.

Then using Mission Planner (MP), on the left below the HUD, click the 'Telemetry Logs' tab. Then click the 'Load Log' button. Brows to your saved, unzipped log files, and go into the 'support_logs' folder. Find the latest .tlog for the latest flight.

Now there are two things you can do. 1: click the play/pause button to watch the flight. You can also click the speed to go slow or faster.

If you click on the 'Tuning' option on the bottom of the map, you can bring up a graph. Double click on the graph and you can pick what you want to see on the graph. The graph will auto scale, so don't put too many data points on the graph you may not be able to see details. You can right click on the graph to set some options and reset zoom, scaling, etc. You can also click and drag to zoom in to data.

Here is the power tool:
Under the 'Play' button, click the Tlog > Kml or Graph button. Then click the Graph Log button. Browse again to your .tlog file and open it. Now you can choose what to graph on the right. This is your complete flight.

Here is the definitions of the data logs: EDIT: This is a list of tunable parameters, may or may not be useful to know how to read the data in the logs:
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/configuration/arducopter-parameters/

Similar to the other graph, there are many options, and it will auto scale. Each time you click on a data item, it should change its color, so keep this in mind if it picks a color that is hard to see. You can right click on an option to turn it off. Remember the zoom (click and drag) option and right click on the graph to reset the zoom if needed.

I stole this info from Steve that posted it in another thread:

If Solo is facing away from you (Camera View is forward)

ch1in = Left <1500> Right
ch2in = Forward <1500> Backward
ch3in = Down <1450> Up
ch4in = Rotate CCW <1500> Rotate CW
ch6in = Gimbal Angle 1000=Cam Angle 0 Deg / 1520=Cam Angle 90 Deg

My guess is that Steve needs to calibrate his sticks as I would think that ch3in should center at 1500 like the other sticks, but I could be wrong (I'm basing this on my PixHawk experience). But I could be wrong as my 'uncalibrated' sticks seem to show the same thing, Ch3in is at 1450 centered instead of 1500.

I noticed that remrssi seems to be the signal strength of the solo controller. I also see data in the rxerrors data.

I also notice different data is available in the two different graphs (the run/pause Tuning graph vs the 'Graph Log' data), I'm not sure why or what difference they play.

If anyone has any more points or tips to add add them here.

Note: Good luck if you get support to acknowledge any log issues. I asked about some strange data that I saw and their answer was "We don't train users how to read the logs". ;)

Last edited:
Perhaps we can help people trying to read their own logs.

Awesome thread!! I am sure it looks "over the head" to many right now... but they will likely get into them sooner or later, and it is really pretty cool to do (I work on control system hardware/software), and VERY instructive of what is happening on the craft.

Nothing to add really except once you install the software and rename the files as necessary, you can just double click the tlog files to open them in the telemetry tab to "play" them. Saves a few seconds :)

Well done sir !

Thanks for putting this together.
Has anyone found a distance to home that works? Total distance does but my Distance to home is showing zero. Seems kinda basic :)

Several ways to do this but easy way is to just start a support request in the app and instead of emailing the logs to 3DR change the email address to yourself and email them.

Reactions: Leafy
Under the 'Play' button, click the Tlog > Kml or Graph button. Then click the Graph Log button. Browse again to your .tlog file and open it. Now you can choose what to graph on the right. This is your complete flight.

Here is the definitions of the data logs: EDIT: This is a list of tunable parameters, may or may not be useful to know how to read the data in the logs:
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/configuration/arducopter-parameters/

When I follow these directions, when I load the log file in the Graph Log button I get the error: COMPILE FAILED.

Also is there a road map to what all the values under the STATUS tab mean? There are over 200 data items. The copter.ardupilot.com parameter list doesn't seem to match the STATUS data items.

Any help from the more experienced users?
I need CLIFF NOTES.
Thanks

I found the logs although they were from tonight.Are the old logs saved somewhere else?

I think you have to terminal into the controller if you want more than 3.

DataFlash logs – These logs get their name from the fact that the flight-data is stored directly on the drone’s on-board DataFlash memory. This type of log contains much more information than Telemetry logs, however your ground station requires a direct connection (preferably USB) to the drone to access the data.

Where does the USB connect? Thanks!

Actually you can connect to the solo wireless with a notebook. Download winscp and run it while connected. The controller address is 10.1.1.1.
Winscp is similar to putty but has a nicer interface for transferring files.

You will have to back up to get to root directory. You will see a logs folder.

Reactions: cemdata and locutus
I found an Android app to allow downloading logs and files: AndFTP

Connect to your Solo WiFi

take props off for safety!!!!

Solo IP address is 10.1.1.1
Username is root
Protocol SCP
Password, I'd have to kill you if I tell you!! TjSDBkAu if you tell anyone you must also kill them!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Be careful! If you brick or void your warranty it's on you, not me!

Logs should be in the log folder.

Sorry, I'm on my tablet now so I won't type much more at the moment, but you should be able to download any log files you want.

I'll say it again in an Elmer Fudd voice: be very very careful!

Last edited:
For those who want to sniff with a desktop that doesn't have a wifi, get a cheap USB wifi dongle to connect to Solo

Rich works great. Way easier than ALL other methods.
OK I'm still new at this, trying to figure out the andftp app. Don't know where i should be or where i should be tapping on. Don't even see the ip address and where it should go. Any help would be appreciated...

On AndFTP hit the plus on top of the screen then enter server info there.

Here is a quick rundown "how to" guys (and gals).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the video, I'm sure it will help a lot of people.

I also found another method to find the logs that are on your smart phone/tablet (the one with the Solo app).

Using your Android file browser go to this folder:
/storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.o3dr.solo.android/files

(I have my 'show hidden files' turned on, but I'm not sure if this matters)

I found a file logs.zip here. This may be the file that was generated when I sent a support log to 3DR.

I also see a folder here named support_logs but it was empty.
There is a folder here also named releases which seems to contain the controller and solo firmeware at tar.gz files.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela