How to install Gimbal?

Reaction score
Haven't found any info. to actual installation of this Highly anticipated hardware? Might i add, Expensive also.
I been hearing that it will connect from another cable to the GP port on the back? Not the microHDMI, but the port that takes the LCD BACPAC accessory?
I'm surprised that 3DR hasn't posted any "installation" info at there site?

On a different note, while searching, found this info from 3DR:
"**Depending on environmental conditions; controller is expandable, allowing us or third parties to amp up the range in the future."

Interesting...

While we don't know all the may be required...
1) you remove the old camera bracket. Unscrew the 3 screws holding it in place.
2) wiggle the HDMI cable out of the old bracket
3) fish the gimbal cable out of the body (the cable is already installed) If you are lucky you should be able to carefully get to it through the main camera bay without having to disassemble.

4) connect up the gimbal cable to the new gimbal
5) thread the HDMI cable where it belongs
6) screw the gimbal onto the body with 3 screws

7) you will probably have a firmware update as well

Reactions: SteveReno
While we don't know all the may be required...
1) you remove the old camera bracket. Unscrew the 3 screws holding it in place.
2) wiggle the HDMI cable out of the old bracket
3) fish the gimbal cable out of the body (the cable is already installed) If you are lucky you should be able to carefully get to it through the main camera bay without having to disassemble.

4) connect up the gimbal cable to the new gimbal
5) thread the HDMI cable where it belongs
6) screw the gimbal onto the body with 3 screws

7) you will probably have a firmware update as well
So, the microHDMI is still being used? Just asking cause it presently doesn't fit very well in to the GP.

Thanks

So, the microHDMI is still being used? Just asking cause it presently doesn't fit very well in to the GP.

Thanks
I don't believe they will be using that port at all. For one, it's not needed with the GoPro expansion bus, and 2nd if you look at the photos, the port is covered..
GB11A-3DR-Solo-Gimbalb.jpg

Reactions: SteveReno
I don't believe they will be using that port at all. For one, it's not needed with the GoPro expansion bus, and 2nd if you look at the photos, the port is covered..
Thanks again Jubair, I agree with all of what you saying.
That dam microHDMI just don't mesh right with ny GP4 hero Black? Takes a lot of effort to make it fit "Click" & get video.

Thanks again buddy!

neither do I. If the used the expansion bus connector - then they would eliminate the usefulness of the second "bay". Note that the "bay" is only a flat space on the bottom (not a recess) and has unusually small nuts for holding on whatever will go there.

I think there is a good chance it is used !

Not plugged into the camera but possibly plugged into top of gimbal :)

Reactions: prowler9
I would say that's a USB for maintenance. A gimbal (moving side) cant be connected to a cable that stiff.

it states, all you will need is a screwdriver which is supplied.
- Control Angle Accuracy of 0.1° - Enables In-Flight Control of GoPro - Relays HDMI Signal to Wireless Downlink - Charges GoPro Battery During Flight - GoPro Lens Hood Included - Solder-Free Quick Installation - Screwdriver Included

I think there is a good chance it is used !

Not plugged into the camera but possibly plugged into top of gimbal :)
We may be talking about different things.
2nd Bay.jpg
The area outlined in white is what I believe is the 2nd bay. If 3DR uses the connector inside that
box, they pretty much screw any other use of the bay.

In addition to the HDMI cable (seen in the empty camera bay) there is another cable harness pre-wired for the gimbal that will plug into the top of the gimbal mount inside the camera bay.

Of course, I could be wrong...it is all speculation until we actually can touch one.

Yea I dont think it has anything to do with accessory connector. What I am thinking might be possible is the gimbal comes with a data cable that plugs inside the camera bay to control the gimbal power and tilt functions of gimbal and the HDMI is coiled up inside the bay but plugs into top of gimbal inside.

I just saying, for a device that must have been on the drawing board the same time as the Solo, there hasn't been any real info. from 3DR? ETA, instructions, units let out for testing "So public can see/reviews" I'm sure 3DR could have handed out a dozen or so 1 to me & 1 to
rrmccabe" LOL

Not leading to any conspiracy theories, just weird..

I just saying, for a device that must have been on the drawing board the same time as the Solo, there hasn't been any real info. from 3DR? ETA, instructions, units let out for testing "So public can see/reviews" I'm sure 3DR could have handed out a dozen or so 1 to me & 1 to
rrmccabe" LOL

Not leading to any conspiracy theories, just weird..

I heard from a secret source its a paint problem.

No matter what paint they use Zenmuse keeps bleeding through.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M