How to download Open Solo 4

I see it's a optional question. I'm new to forum. And 3dr drone. Cant get the drone to factory reset. The controller rest no prob. Even took off gopro and gimble but no cigar. Put the drone on it's back press and hold reset while press and release the power button while still holding reset for about 15 seconds or light flashes. Amber light by reset button. No luck. Probably.

Two things to do get open solo 4 and up grade the GPS you will not regret it

I see it's a optional question. I'm new to forum. And 3dr drone. Cant get the drone to factory reset. The controller rest no prob. Even took off gopro and gimble but no cigar. Put the drone on it's back press and hold reset while press and release the power button while still holding reset for about 15 seconds or light flashes. Amber light by reset button. No luck. Probably.
Actually you don't want it to bother factory resetting! It's just going to brick wall in Preflight Update which can not complete. The update process will just endlessly loop "downloading update from server to your phone/tablet" .. it will appear to download but then when you proceed the next step it will jump back to downloading again in an endless loop. I have heard the maybe it can proceed if you phone/tablet already has the update files on it from years ago. Mine DID have the update files but wouldn't work either.. so don't bother.

OK Mandalorian, "This is the Way" :

1. Be ready to use google Playstore to PURCHASE Solex for $30. Don't cringe, just do it you will NOT REGRET IT and you will be smilin' while your flyin'. I am cheap and held out for a long time but finally did it too and will not look back.
2. If you aren't going to buy and load Solex don't read any further. just keep flailing like I did but come back later!
3. Use a recent model Android phone or tablet, some version up around 9 or higher.. nothing to worry about just so it is not down at Android 5.0 note: I know Nothing about IOS or I-phones , just the Androids that I have.
4. If Solex does not show up as a choice on your Playstore page, then probably the Android you are viewing it with is not up at the compatible version. I have an Android 5.0 phone and Solex won't show up on the Playstore download page. I also have an Android 11.0, Samsung Tab A 8.0" and it does show up, downloads and runs perfecto.
5. Charge up your copter and controller batts, you don't want to run dry in middle of the setup.
6. You must be sure that your copter and controller are wi-fi paired. If you are certain then skip the next few lines about it.
7. Solex can connect to your mangled copter if the copter and controller are paired. Solex will be able to extract parameter settings from your copter, prior to installing Open Solo 4. It happens, it works, I've done it first time success. Be patient, careful and do NOT deviate from instructions.

Pairing for the Unpaired:

1. Power your copter off. Power your controller on in factory reset mode by holding Fly and Power buttons and hold until it starts the update. Let go the buttons and let it update. This takes only a couple minutes and goes thru a power off/on cycle, just wait for it to power back on and it will continue.
2. When the controller update finishes and displays its' message to "press A to continue".. go ahead press A .. now leave it alone, powered up, while you setup the copter pairing.
3. Power the copter on & wait for the greens to cycle, etc. wait about 30 to 40 seconds to be sure.. Look at the controller because it may already show "new copter found" without you doing any more than having powered on the copter. Usually it will not , so proceed to press the reset button underneath the copter for 1 to 2 seconds and let go. Put copter on it's feet while waiting for the controller to display "new copter found". It could take only a few seconds up to half a minute. The controller will indicate to hold A & B buttons down.. do that and hold until it buzzes. You should get a nice paired message.
Keep controller and copter powered up and proceed to run Solex.

4. Now start up your newly purchased Solex app on your phone/tablet. You will be upgrading the controller and copter via Solex just like the original Solo app did. It will fetch the Open Solo 4 programs from the web, save in the phone/tablet, transmit appropriate files to the controller and then to the drone. MUCH MUCH MUCH and ALL THERE IS TO KNOW is on this forum so you don't have to take my word for this. I am just rewriting what I've gathered up from the forum.
5. Connect to your controller via wi-fi in Solex's app and of course everyone knows the password is sololink.

note:
If you get the endless spinning circle about Solex getting parameters from the copter, then you are not 'vehicle connected'. You really should get the parameters before you start downloading and installing Open Solo 4.
If not, here is the most likely reason:
TURN ON LOCATIONS on your phone/tablet.. I keep mine off because I think it keeps big bro from following me, haha.. but you have to turn ON LOCATIONS for Solex to work. GPS tracking locations on the phone/tablet is necessary to update and use Solex. I turn mine off when done flying around...

I found that Solex had the Update part of its' menu grayed out, but that is because the copter and controller need to be powered up and paired.. Solex is looking for both of them so you may need to power cycle your controller and copter, then you'll see Solex's Update choice come alive down at the scroll down bottom of it's menu.

Now use this link obtained from elsewhere in this forum NO CREDIT TO ME WHATSOEVER :
FOLLOW precisely this link's directions, it will work provided you have a good wifi connection and don't interrupt the process.

Last edited:
Hi, I recently downloaded the Solex app on my android running 6.0, Now I bought this drone from some guy for around 100 bucks and he had forgotten the wifi password, so when I followed to youtube tutorial to reset it, I got back the default wifi password but im basically blocked from flying it due to the Preflight update, since the original app is no longer there, is it even possible to install open solo 4 and even if I do, is there any way to get past this block?, Thanks

For those of you that have been having issues updating from the SOLEX app, many people, including myself have had the issue of the "Firmware Update" option not showing in the app when connected to your home WiFi but it shows the option when connected to the Solo WiFi, this is because in the SOLEX app you should have the default copter set to "Solo" and the "Advanced" option selected. The "Advanced" option is needed to allow the "Firmware Update" option to be seen, and the "Solo" default copter selected so that the app knows what it should be looking for, now you will be able to download the firmware, then connect to the Solo WiFi and you will be able to update the controller and Solo firmware, make sure you select the correct firmware package related to the Cube that is in your Solo, if you have an original Cube you will scroll to the bottom of the firmware list where it is labeled with the correct firmware for your Solo, once you have downloaded the firmware, you will need to power cycle the controller first for the update to be installed, then the Solo, next is to "Pair" the two again, then likely you will be prompted through the controller that a "Compass Calibration" is required, complete the calibration and give the Solo time to aquire Sat, then go fly!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo