How fast do you fly when filming?

Reaction score
Website
vsasolutions.com
I am curious on what speed other fly when doing various shots for commercial real estate video. What gives editors the best footage to work with. I know one of the biggest mistakes is flying too fast. I typically fly between 5-8 mph on dolly/forward/backward shots and a little faster on orbits depending on size of orbit.

I am curious on what speed other fly when doing various shots for commercial real estate video. What gives editors the best footage to work with. I know one of the biggest mistakes is flying too fast. I typically fly between 5-8 mph on dolly/forward/backward shots and a little faster on orbits depending on size of orbit.
Depends on what I'm shooting, but I generally try to err on the side of slow. I speed a lot of video up in post and I've found that when you can, video that is sped up a little bit in post is often smoother than video shot at at an equivalent speed (so doubling 20mph video looks smoother than video shot at 40mph). Obviously if the shot has people moving around or stuff like that, you can't really speed it up without looking weird. The bigger the subject you are shooting, the slower the video looks. On something like the Illinois Capitol building or a farm field, 20mph is painfully slow to watch. But if you're flying over an event, 20 mph can be a little fast. 5-8 is good for houses.

I fly survey missions at 15 to 20, depending on the drone, and recommendations of the software.

Reactions: brushhippie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc