Hero 7 stabilize mode on Solo w/out gimbal?

Still needs a gimbal, but ya it looks great...

So....could the Solo gimbal be modified to accept the Hero7...? Having disassembled a gimbal all the way down to the GP holder. The gimbal's camera holder could be replaced with maybe something 3dp'ed. Then the Hero port could be removed to accept the 7. I'd rather have a better camera, but you'd lose control of the camera in the air.

@User Name supplied me with a Micro USB cord with silicone wires, he spliced the wires into a standard cable. It's dead soft, no vibes what so ever. Why not just make a micro-HDMI homerun from the camera to the IMX6... It maintains the small factory profile.

I don't have many of the above skills, but I'd be willing to donate to the cause... I have the dismantled gimbal as a reference for the holder and its mounting.

Just talking, been a weird weekend...

Reactions: EZL and Saijin_Naib

So....could the Solo gimbal be modified to accept the Hero7...? Having disassembled a gimbal all the way down to the GP holder. The gimbal's camera holder could be replaced with maybe something 3dp'ed. Then the Hero port could be removed to accept the 7. I'd rather have a better camera, but you'd lose control of the camera in the air.

@User Name supplied me with a Micro USB cord with silicone wires, he spliced the wires into a standard cable. It's dead soft, no vibes what so ever. Why not just make a micro-HDMI homerun from the camera to the IMX6... It maintains the small factory profile.

I don't have many of the above skills, but I'd be willing to donate to the cause... I have the dismantled gimbal as a reference for the holder and its mounting.

There are better cameras versus the GoPro for a lot less. I don't want a fisheye view of scenery and a bad example of low quality in a camera
is "barrel-distortion" which is evident in GoPro cameras. Get into the high-priced Sony cameras and you don't see that. This is evident of what
you get for your money. The Chinese are building better cameras for far less! It's a shame that Solo built their gimbal proprietary to GoPro.
The fellas on the Forum are good at coming up with solutions better than GoPro! GoPro is in it for the $$$ and it's evident with their prices.

What would you be using the USB connection for ?

I'm quite positive I could model and print something up, but I dinna haf a GP7.....

On second thought...it's a little wider (about 3.3mm) than the 4, meaning the balance would likely be way off on a stock gimbal. I guess if you eliminated the stock hdmi connector things would balance out better.

It could actually work...maybe. Same could be done for EZL's chinesium cameras.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I've played with words since a kid. So there was an immediate connection to his videos. Besides who doesn't like watching someone tear apart a perfectly good tool.

With that said and back on topic. I have a perfectly fine gimbal, but no matter what the video is dead between the lower and upper hdmi connectors. Perfect for this application.

On second thought...it's a little wider (about 3.3mm) than the 4, meaning the balance would likely be way off on a stock gimbal. I guess if you eliminated the stock hdmi connector things would balance out better.

It could actually work...maybe. Same could be done for EZL's chinesium cameras.
:D yeah, them "chinesium cameras" LOLs. I had good luck with the GitUp cameras but that gimbal is a good one except for the
proprietary Hero port plugin. You actually have to add weight to them to balance them. Some fellas have used the FireFly 7
cameras. It's a trial-and-error situation on the other cameras.
I've played with words since a kid. So there was an immediate connection to his videos. Besides who doesn't like watching someone tear apart a perfectly good tool.

With that said and back on topic. I have a perfectly fine gimbal, but no matter what the video is dead between the lower and upper hdmi connectors. Perfect for this application.

Well, I have another "Chinesum" camera that I doubt has the HDMI leads even connected! I can't use it even though it's advertised as a
4K camera which I really doubt it is. Most of the cameras of today come out of China and the best are the Japanese cameras in quality.
I use to feed video and sound from the RunCam and Mobius cameras into a 600 mw 5.8 ghz transmitter on a quad and never had any
problems. A fella could still do that with another gimbal, I guess.

Back to the OP's question..."Hero 7 stabilize mode on Solo w/out gimbal?" MultiRotors pitch too much for a static mounted camera. I wish the gimbal had an option for FPV mode, control pitch but rolls with quad.

This new Gopro 7 stabilize mode looks like a game changer:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
What has gotten more air play than retrofitting the Solo gimbal or modifying one to hang under the Solo? OK, maybe batteries.

So much naysaying what a piece of crap the H3/H4 is yet everyday those that understand how to apply settings, use proper filters, and add a little post editing expose us incredible results.

The Chinese knock offs are far substandard in their performance but most suitable for simple fixed mount FOV streaming.

Those that are looking for true cinemagraphic footage are not using $300 GPs. Any that fall between FPV streaming and Hollywood well understand the intrinsic value of inflight camera control beyond a simple tilt capability.

Truth be told comparing the H4 through to the H7 actual performance enhancements are not that impressive. Sure direct upload, voice activation, and stabilization make a big difference to non aerial production but have little or no effect on hoisting a camera into sky.

The harsh fact that already has exposed it's tragic reality just as it had pertained to batteries is our Beloved Solos are Tin Lizzy's and now several generations behind cutting edge technology. The Solo classifieds are chock full of great deals. The harsh fact that 3DR couldn't move out NIB Solos for $150 speaks loud and clear.

Only by merit of its open source platform and a handful of incredibly dedicated, knowledgeable, and resourceful folks the Solo lives on. But it lives on in a family of like minded loyal Solo owners who are Makers in spirit and enjoy the amazing DIY aspect of our Solos. That sounds all warm and cozy to us but offers little or no incentive to mass producers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo