"Headless" Flying?

Reaction score
Just watched the Flight School video, watched Colin, and am a little confused about the flight characteristic of flying away from and to. I think it's called "headless" but as Solo flies away from you and you apply right rudder, Solo turn right. Here's my question; on the reverse path toward you if you apply right rudder does Solo go right,,,or left??? My little practice machine (Dubsan X107L) when flying toward me is reversed AND VERY confusing applying right rudder to go left and vice versa.

Anyone know anything about this?

on the reverse path toward you if you apply right rudder does Solo go right,,,or left??? My little practice machine (Dubsan X107L) when flying toward me is reversed AND VERY confusing applying right rudder to go left and vice versa.
you would go left.
everything would be in reverse.

I hadn't heard of headless flying buy I looked it up and it makes sense. http://www.rcdronearena.com/2015/02/18/what-is-headless-mode-quad-copter-drone/
It would make sense for the solo to have this option since camera pan shots require that the quad rotate.

Where did you watch the video where he talks about this?
Just picked it up reading etc. Havent seen video other than on website. I liked what I read but think Dubsan would be another one of those companies that you are on your own as soon as the box is opened, In the end, Customer Service is as important as the product itself.

I don't think I like that. My 52 year old brain is trained from years of flying R/C. Flying out.....turn left...craft turns left.....flying back turn left and craft turns right

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The Phantom does this in course lock mode. Once you set the headings forward, left, right, back, the Phantom will follow those headings with the right stick no matter what the direction the drone is pointing. This would be a nice feature for the Solo. I'm sure they could add it in the future. That is what is cool with this platform.

Unfortunately for some of us, (maybe most of us) we don't have years of flying R/C's thinking "right rudder, turns left". Also, I believe with distances from the operator ever increasing, out of sight flying is already common and trying to figure out the machines orientation will be a bit tricky if not impossible. Yes, there is RTH but,,,,. Anyway, as another poster has said, would be a nice feature that could be user selected. Thank goodness for the "PAUSE" button, I think it may be used a lot.

I like

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm excited to see any footage from the Solo, seeing this is no exception but this footage looks a little shaky or is it just me? Still can't wait to get mine.. I'm not even calling or asking for updates, it will only make me more impatient.

Unfortunately for some of us, (maybe most of us) we don't have years of flying R/C's thinking "right rudder, turns left". Also, I believe with distances from the operator ever increasing, out of sight flying is already common and trying to figure out the machines orientation will be a bit tricky if not impossible. Yes, there is RTH but,,,,. Anyway, as another poster has said, would be a nice feature that could be user selected. Thank goodness for the "PAUSE" button, I think it may be used a lot.
I'm a fool for drones and own 2 Phantoms (P.1 and P.2), Blade 350QX, 180QX, and 200QX, a Yuneec 500, and an Iris+ as well as several different micro quads. Of the large drones, all but the Iris+ have the feature that allows me to guide the drone in the direction of the right stick, regardless of where the yaw is pointed. They also allow me to fly in a traditional mode where forward is always in the direction the yaw is pointed, left is always to the left of the yaw, etc., etc. This how virtually all other RC vehicles are controlled, whether fixed wing, helicopter, boats, cars, or trucks. So it really is a good idea to learn to fly this way so that you can always easily regain orientation. That is what my microquads are for, flying indoors (great for rainy days) and practicing orientation.
However it is a great security to have the feature where I can flip a toggle and go into a "safe" mode and regardless of where I was pointed, be able to pull my drone back to me. If the Solo doesn't allow this, then you can use the RTH feature and simply return it to your control once you realize your orientation. That is the technique I have had to use twice with my Iris+ when I've been out to the edge of my vision and lost orientation.
But really learning to fly the traditional way, while not necessary, is a valuable skill that is important to develop, IMO.

It seems that headless flying wouldn't be easy in fpv mode, either.

Being that the solo is 'open source', would that mean headless flying could be an option in the future? Seems like a fun thing for line of sight flying.

Until there is an option I guess I had better learn. My little X107L is fun and pretty proficient indoors and outside. In Expert mode and full sensitivity it's FAST and agile but even with only 150' range it's really hard to see and forget trying to discern orientation! Throttling back a $50 drone 150' away and a $1400 drone 1/2 mile away hoping RTH works,,,. Guess that's what RTH is all about!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Until there is an option I guess I had better learn. My little X107L is fun and pretty proficient indoors and outside. In Expert mode and full sensitivity it's FAST and agile but even with only 150' range it's really hard to see and forget trying to discern orientation! Throttling back a $50 drone 150' away and a $1400 drone 1/2 mile away hoping RTH works,,,. Guess that's what RTH is all about!

Another thing to consider with the Solo is that, if you're 1/2 mile away and turned around, you always have your telemetry on the controller. You could watch the distance reading to determine whether it's flying away from or toward you.

There has to be a certain amount of trust. I have flow my Phantom 2 V+ to the point of invoked RTH at least 80 times. Cant say I ever have got to a point it was too far away to do anything with as RTH always worked. At distance I normally have decent altitude where I am not going to hit anything but if you plan on dropping down you need to really think about your RTH height setting in the app. Having it go to 350' (if safe) will get you back in control quicker than a setting of 100' and if you have elevation change or trees you will want it.

I fly out of a hole often so make sure you consider the starting elevation too.

I have to retract my statement about the "shakes" in the video. It was definitely my internet connection at the hotel because I just watched it again and it was pretty darn stable!!

Reactions: McSlevin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela